• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lethargic bunny

ally

New Kit
Last week my bunny was acting lethargic and had pink- reddish urine one time. I immediately took him to the vet, and they could not find anything wrong with him. His urine returned to normal, but he was still lethargic. I took him back to the vet on 3 days later, and they still had no suggestions. They gave me an antibiotic in case there was an infection but said there was no indication that there was. The first vet had strongly recommended against the use of antibiotics unless there was a confirmed infection so I did not give it to him. He seemed to be much better the past few days, but yesterday as well as this morning he is back to being lethargic. He is eating, drinking, pooping and urinating normally. I have a blue light next to my bed, and I've been falling asleep with it on for the past week or so. I believe the few days he was better I had shut the light off. Could this affect his mood? I'm extremely worried and the vets don't really seem to be providing much help. Hes 2 1/2 years old.

Last week my bunny was acting lethargic and had pink- reddish urine one time. I immediately took him to the vet, and they could not find anything wrong with him. His urine returned to normal, but he was still lethargic. I took him back to the vet on 3 days later, and they still had no suggestions. They gave me an antibiotic in case there was an infection but said there was no indication that there was. The first vet had strongly recommended against the use of antibiotics unless there was a confirmed infection so I did not give it to him. He seemed to be much better the past few days, but yesterday as well as this morning he is back to being lethargic. He is eating, drinking, pooping and urinating normally. I have a blue light next to my bed, and I've been falling asleep with it on for the past week or so. I believe the few days he was better I had shut the light off. Could this affect his mood? I'm extremely worried and the vets don't really seem to be providing much help. Hes 2 1/2 years old.

Hi there, you say your rabbit is eating, drinking and pooping normally? So it is just the fact that your rabbit seems more tired and lethargic that is the problem you are noticing?

Slightly reddish urine isn't unusual if the rabbit has eaten a lot of greens as the pigments can make it change to this orangery red colour. Blood in the urine usually shows up as streaks alongside the regular urine.

Lethargic behaviour can be a sign of many things, It might be an idea to find another vet who is rabbit savvy and get a second opinion if you think there is something wrong. x

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry you're rabbit isn't feeling 100% these days. I personally doubt the light affected him, I guess this might have been a coincidence.

I would get the vet to take some blood and send it off for a full blood profile.

Dandelions and some other greenstuffs can colour a rabbit's urine - your vet can take a sample and simply test it with a urine stick. (the vet can express the bladder if necessary to get this, you don't have to collect it)

Has he recently had his vaccination? Has anything else changed in his routine?
Is he moulting at the moment? Is he still eating lots of hay?

And lastly (for now!) - are you confident in your vet?

Back