• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What do I do?

I don't know whether this is the right section to post in. Hey I got ginger about a week ago and she has had a lot of her poo stuck on the bottom. After trying to get it off yesterday we had to try and clean it off with the shower (not washing her fully) and there is still some there and it's really embedded, I've tried loads and it just won't come out, I have no idea what to do? Any ideas? Also is there anyway I can try and stop this from happening again?

a vet or vet nurse could help you tease some out and trim the fur as well to get away the worst of it. have you found a rabbit savvy vet yet? someone can probably recommend one in your area :) that sort of issue is usually either medically related or diet related, so a vet check would be a good idea anyway. what is her diet at the moment?

Thanks I will try and convince my mum but she may just say that I'm overeacting a bit.(she doesnt understand my worrys)☺️ I feed her muesli as that's what the breeder gave her but ie just started to change her over the pellets (but she's not eating the pellets)

Thanks, yes we have a rabbit vet around us, but I'm pretty sure my m won't let me go, as she thinks I should just wash her again (she's not really a worrier) I am feeding her museli (what the breeder gave her) but I'm also mixing in some pellets now (but she's not eating any of them:/)

Thanks, yes we have a rabbit vet around us, but I'm pretty sure my m won't let me go, as she thinks I should just wash her again (she's not really a worrier) I am feeding her museli (what the breeder gave her) but I'm also mixing in some pellets now (but she's not eating any of them:/)

How old is she?

Is she eating plenty of good quality hay?

I'm afraid that bathing rabbits isn't recommended and I would still advise a trip to the vet.

Rabbits, unfortunately, aren't the easy or cheap pets that some people imagine.

She is around 7/8 weeks now. She is eating oxbow alfalfa hay, meadow and a bit of Timothy.
I know they are not really meant to be bathed but I thought it would be best at the time. I will have another look and ask my mum if we could take a trip to the vet, thankyou for your advice ☺️

She is around 7/8 weeks now. She is eating oxbow alfalfa hay, meadow and a bit of Timothy.
I know they are not really meant to be bathed but I thought it would be best at the time. I will have another look and ask my mum if we could take a trip to the vet, thankyou for your advice ☺️

I obviously don't know where she came from, but she has been removed from her mother too early and therefore her digestive system is going to be prone to upsets. Rabbits are very fragile - and baby rabbits even more so. They can go downhill extremely quickly and I really do urge you to take her to be checked over. Is she outside or indoors?

PS You would probably be better to stick to the muesli she was used to being fed for the next couple of weeks whilst everything settles down - and then very gradually change her over to pellets over. Say, another 2/3 weeks. Any changes to a bunny's diet have to be made very slowly - apart from increasing the amount of hay, which is vital for tums and teeth.

Back