• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think I'm Going Crazy!

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Evening all,

I just need to post to save my own sanity!

It's a real struggle finding females that are available for Neo, within an hour or so travel time, single and not much older than him!!! We had a bad situation with a male rabbit and have resigned to knowing a female/male bond is going to be best for everyone.

The other struggle is that many rescues won't bond (rules them out) and others are bonding so many singles into pairs within the rescue that the singles all disappear and we are left with next to no choice. We need to feel as happy with the choice as much as Neo, we have felt this before we just need to feel it again and I know it happens. We still want to rescue and even though we do care about all the rabbits we still want to feel happy with our decision and have some attraction there. Some people may find this a bit selfish sounding but for us this is just how it has to be.

We almost need a newer or less busy rescue that we can visit, put a stop on a few and bring him in for a week or trials with a few different girls as he doesn't like to travel so for one female per rescue it seems unfair to him! Especially if we need to do this over and over.

It's a horrible time at the moment as he loves spending time with us but with working full time we really need company for him! Sorry I'm rambling on now but we are frustrated and don't know where to go from here!

Today I popped into P@H and my friend that works there has a few dumpees that have come in. There's a 4-6 month old girl, she is gorgeous and really quite chilled. Following the horridness regarding our angel bunny Skye we would obviously go to our normal vet who has experience with Exotics for the spay, this would happen regardless of location of rescue.

I guess I'm looking for some sort of opinion that prevents me from arguing with myself over and over in my head. If we were to adopt this girl would she survive the op? If she does, will she recover? If she does, will Neo accept her?

My head feels like a washing machine!

Whereabouts is an hour or so away from you? People might know of somewhere you could try?

Oh sorry, I'm Windsor area :) I've seen a few but they're all so far away. We have been round a couple of rescues with their rabbits but none we have felt a connection with.
Unfortunately, the best and worst thing about the rabbits in rescue at P@H (that are there for an actual reason other than old stock) means that you get to meet them and actually properly. Generally they aren't too stressed as they are used to the hustle and bustle of the shop so you see what they are actually like, they also have more time to let you interact (or at least my one does due to the friend working there).

Blargh!!!

Is the Rabbit Crossing near you? My geography is rubbish but it's near windlesham and run by the duchess on here and she is awesome

I suppose the trouble is, you might find a girl you like at p@h but if you get her home and she doesn't get on with Neo then you're a bit stuck. Hope you find somebun for him soon

Yes it is, I've been messaging :)

Yep, this is the issue we have and that's why I'm so torn. It would just mean her having to go back, but then she'd at least have been spayed!

Ahh :(

R
Yes it is, I've been messaging :)

Yep, this is the issue we have and that's why I'm so torn. It would just mean her having to go back, but then she'd at least have been spayed!

Ahh :(

Yes, I was going to suggest The Duchess. I can't think of anywhere else close to you.

Thanks all, its such a pain in the bum!

The Rabbit Crossing will have a 6 week waiting period due to other bonds going on.
I'm not sure what other timescales rescues have, but I know that my local ones really don't tend to have singles and I'm checking every few days.

I think the worst bit is seeing a single rabbit who fits the age bracket etc but then I call up and am told she's now been bonded with a second rescue rabbit and they need to go as a pair. I totally understand that the hope is they will be adopted together, there is then more space etc but it's so hard finding single females!!! Especially within less than a 1.5hr drive away.

Maybe I need to wait until after Easter and the dreaded bunny boom.

If the Rabbit Crossing have any 'suitable' does now, perhaps it would be worth pursuing and waiting the 6 weeks for bonding - at least you would be making progress.

If the Rabbit Crossing have any 'suitable' does now, perhaps it would be worth pursuing and waiting the 6 weeks for bonding - at least you would be making progress.

I do understand this but due to many of the single does being involved in bonding, it may end up after the 6 weeks that they are all bonded off and if I stop looking whilst I'm waiting, I will have 6 weeks of nothing. Likewise, I'll feel bad that the rescue I'm waiting for thinks they'll be able to rehome one of the buns and I'll have to let them down should we find another bun in the process.

I'm trying to be more open minded, but I have felt a bond with Neo and Skye, it is possible to feel as happy with the rabbit you rescue as your current rabbit feels, though I also understand that we may need to me more flexible. I would be open to a quad, but I don't think many rescues risk doing such big groups as they could end up as 3 singles and cause the rescue more problems.

I guess it'd be great if more rescues had the space to keep more single buns. Every rescue I've spoken to have told me that they always have more males than females :(

Back