• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey off for Urgent EC Check tonight

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

more doom and gloom for my poor babies.. I noticed yesterday honey was being very slow and lazy.. this is no way normal for my little girl. She is normally crazy and always being cheeky.

She is still moving around, but very slowly and stretching ALOT!!!! Although she did a mental run around this morning, and then flopped out which was a relief as I was glad to see her back to her usual self. This afternoon I popped home to give Harvey his meds and check on Honey, when I picked her up and she just seemed all floppy.

She is still eating and drinking completely fine!

I also weighed her last night as I do every 3-4 days and she has gone from 1.8 down to 1.7.. this has really scared me. For the last 2 days she has also had bit of a messy bum, not massively just a few runny poos stuck, but after reading more about EC and speaking to the Vets.. I really am going out of my head with worry.

Both Buns are going back to the vets tonight, Harvey for his blood test and new eye meds and Honey for a blood test and thorough check up.

lots of vibes needed everyone! :(

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Harvey and Honey. Hope all goes well at the vets for both of them. xx

EC blood tests are not the greatest to be honest, they can have false results very easily.

I would speak with your vet and if they suspect EC then you would be better just to treat for it anyways.

Maybe you are just thinking too much as you have just read about it.

well they are already on Panacur for suspected EC anyway! they have been on it 2 weeks yesterday. So if it was EC surely it would be starting to work now?

and oh I didn't realise, well the blood tests are £100 each, so I'll wait and see what they say. The thing is, both bunnies we're completely fine before Harvey's eyes and now both are showing signs of possibly EC, it's just really scaring me!

thanks everyone for your vibes xx

well they are already on Panacur for suspected EC anyway! they have been on it 2 weeks yesterday. So if it was EC surely it would be starting to work now?

and oh I didn't realise, well the blood tests are £100 each, so I'll wait and see what they say. The thing is, both bunnies we're completely fine before Harvey's eyes and now both are showing signs of possibly EC, it's just really scaring me!

thanks everyone for your vibes xx

Does Honey groom Harvey's eyes ?

Hope all goes well at the Vets xx

Does Honey groom Harvey's eyes ?

Hope all goes well at the Vets xx

Hi Jane, she may have the first time, which was probably 2 weeks ago, but no not since.. I watch her like a hawk and she only grooms his ears and top of him.. He flinches of she even goes slightly near his eyes, so I'm pretty confident to say she hasn't actually groomed them!

Thanks everyone.. I can just tell she's not herself, I'm bank home and she doesn't come jumping over to me like usual! :(

We'll see what they say xx

I have noticed she is scratching her ears alot.. So could it be she has an ear infection or something maybe?

I'll make sure they check her completly over xx

If they are on Panacur would that no effect an blood tests for EC too?

Just might be spending cash when there is no need.

I have noticed she is scratching her ears alot.. So could it be she has an ear infection or something maybe?

I'll make sure they check her completly over xx

That's always a possibility. Or it may be that her GI tract is simply rather 'sluggish'. Do try not to stress too much (I know how hard it is not to!!). I am sure the Vet will be able to help Honey to feel more comfortable xx

If they are on Panacur would that no effect an blood tests for EC too?

Just might be spending cash when there is no need.

I agree Kermit. My rabbits have never had an E.C. test.

The blood tests for EC are 'titre tests', i.e. they check for antibodies rather than the protozoa itself. This means the test would need to be repeated at least twice to get an accurate reading. This will show if the antibodies are increasing or decreasing. There could also be residual antibodies from a previous infection which is no longer active.

I just treat the whole lot (of rabbits!) for 6 weeks, clean out the litter trays with 10% bleach solution and steam clean the rest of the house :thumb:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments, well we're back!

Honey has had a thorough check over, they have cleaned her ears as it did look a little dirty and her gut sounded very slow. They have her a gut stimulant and also took a lovely poo sample - some rather green & very smelly caecotrophes to have a look at. Otherwise they are happy she is fine! Bloody typical she raced around & tried jumping up the wall when we we're in there.. but if she does continue to show signs of being stiff, they'll post me some metacam.

No blood tests we're taken for either bunny, the vet agreed and said it was pointless, we'll keep the panacur at a month & re-access after a month, if they are still showing any signs.. They will extend it for a further 2 weeks.

Harvey finally had some good news, we have changed his eye drops, added an anti-imflamtory and in 5 days since his last check the right eye does look a fraction smaller & a tiny bit of scar tissue is visible!!!!

Fingers & toes crossed, and I can stop hassling everyone on here too xxxxx

Hi everyone,

Honey has had a thorough check over, they have cleaned her ears as it did look a little dirty and her gut sounded very slow. They have her a gut stimulant and also took a lovely poo sample - some rather green & very smelly caecotrophes to have a look at. Otherwise they are happy she is fine! Bloody typical she raced around & tried jumping up the wall when we we're in there.. but if she does continue to show signs of being stiff, they'll post me some metacam.

No blood tests we're taken for either bunny, the vet agreed and said it was pointless, we'll keep the panacur at a month & re-access after a month, if they are still showing any signs.. They will extend it for a further 2 weeks.

Harvey finally had some good news, we have changed his eye drops, added an anti-imflamtory and in 5 days since his last check the right eye does look a fraction smaller & a tiny bit of scar tissue is visible!!!!

A very positive update !! :D

Thanks Jane.. I know finally some good news! :)

I can't tell you how many white hairs have appeared in the last 8 weeks!!!

Xxxx

Hi there, good news indeed ! Hope they both continue to improve. White hairs ! furries will do that alright :lol:

Hi everyone,

Good news and saved you *lots* of money on blood tests :thumb:

Have a lovely evening! :wave:

Back