• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

repair human / rabbit bond

Jenny Jump

Warren Scout
Poor Thomas, the oral meds have not cleared his eye infection, and he is getting increasingly difficult to medicate. He is such a stressy boy and is going off his food after 10 days on oral antibiotics. The vet we saw today has given him an antiboitic injection and I have to take him back tomorrow to inject him myself under supervision of the vet nurse. The hope is that this will be more effective than the oral meds, and less stressful for Thomas, even if it is more stressful for me. I am not looking forward to it, but I really want Thomas to feel better again. Our friendship is wearing thin from his point of view. He has never been a people sort of bunny, but we are happy for him to decide how much he interacts with us and now I have been handling him twice a day and he hates that.

Our vets will support me learning to inject him, but does anyone has any tips on how I can make him feel happier? He is a hutch rabbit (large run attached) and usually when I am at home I let him free range in our enclosed garden, but I am afraid to let him free at the moment in case he goes to ground and I can't catch him.

Sorry to hear about your poor bunny! :(

when you say he has an eye infection, is he having eye drops? As well as oral medication? (Only asking as my bunny is currently suffering with bad eyes)

Sending lots of positive vibes for him xx

He has been having drops, but vet says to stop with that and the oral meds and just have injected antibiotics. It's an old injury, I think this recent infection has surfaced because he was stressed, and now he has stressful treatment. I hope the injections will be less stressful, after day 3 they only need to be given every 3rd day. I've just been out to talk to him and found him munching hay, which is good, so I left him to it. I think in the last 10 days of oral meds I have taught him that I feed him then pick him up. He used to dive on his food previously.

Back