• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Project

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
I'm so excited, my family is absolutely smitten with my buns and have agreed to help move them out of their hutch and into an aviary setup! They are growing a little bigger than expected and we all think it would be best for them to have the most space we can provide, so sometime soon the new housing project will begin! I'll post updates as they come. I'm so excited to start their nice, big home. :D

How exciting! Keep us updated with photos of the project :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How lovely to have a smitten family. My rabbits are mine. No one else is really interested ... Thank goodness for RU.

Today we came across a fairly large aviary for sale in the paper for only $100. It needs some work to be safe and comfortable for the buns of course, but we're going for a drive tomorrow to check it out. Speaking of the buns, when I checked on them this morning they had completely devoured all of their hay. :? They have plenty of hay not only in their litter tray but also in their hay feeder, and it was all gone! This has never happened before, I guess they got a really bad craving for hay or something? :lol:

Today we came across a fairly large aviary for sale in the paper for only $100. It needs some work to be safe and comfortable for the buns of course, but we're going for a drive tomorrow to check it out. Speaking of the buns, when I checked on them this morning they had completely devoured all of their hay. :? They have plenty of hay not only in their litter tray but also in their hay feeder, and it was all gone! This has never happened before, I guess they got a really bad craving for hay or something? :lol:

Hay eating is great !! Well, it is for a Bunny, I find it a bit dry...................

The aviary set-up will be great ! Maybe you could post some photos of it when you have it all set up xx

Hay eating is great !! Well, it is for a Bunny, I find it a bit dry...................

The aviary set-up will be great ! Maybe you could post some photos of it when you have it all set up xx

I know, I can't wait! I will be sure to share some photos once we get set up. :)

Sooo we were unable to get the aviary I mentioned before... 2 of our 3 cars broke down which cost us a fair bit. My car is seriously on it's last limb... I've legitimately lost count how many times I've broken down in it. Almost time for it to go I think...

Anyway, we did make a trip to the local hardware shop and bought a dog run which we will alter to suit the buns instead. We finished setting up the frame yesterday.

11169030_841029202636668_269573025_n.jpg

Hopefully sometime next week the buns will be able to have a play in it for a little while. I will definitely share some photos of that! :)

Last edited:
What an amazing looking run thats going to be. Petra looks pretty huge!! Pretty and huge I should say.

Is your garden secure enough for them to have some supervised free range? Petra is gorgeous, I bet she'd love hareing round that space!

Is your garden secure enough for them to have some supervised free range? Petra is gorgeous, I bet she'd love hareing round that space!

Unfortunately there is a few parts of the fence that the buns could easily crawl under, and we also have two border collies. The dogs and buns get along quite well though, we've supervised them in their hutch on the lawn and they don't pay a lot of attention to eachother. A few times we've caught the dogs and buns touching noses through the hutch and lying next to eachother, which is pretty cute to see if I'm ever quick enough to get a photo. :) I was worried about the dogs when we first got the rabbits which is why they're currently in a fenced-off area in our beer garden, but there have been no issues and the buns aren't spooked by them at all.

Quick question- is sand safe for buns? We'd like to get them a little sandpit to dig in but I wasn't sure if we should fill it with sand. Would soil be better?

I used to get Lola the child sand from argos. It's not toxic, I just used to make sure it was damp so any dust wouldn't go in her eyes as they do like to flop in it x

We still have to add roofing and put some mesh on the sides so the buns don't try to squeeze through and get stuck, but we are making progress and finally have it secure enough for some supervised playtime in it. Cleo enjoyed inspecting every inch of the place, but only held still long enough for just one photo.

11169137_845977458808509_106539340_n.jpg

There were lots of binkies. :lol:

Excellent news, aviary looks great, please post more pictures when it's finished. My family are all pretty smitten with the bunnies too so I'm very lucky like you

My parents were getting groceries and came back with this weird little dangley toy for the buns. The girls had mixed reactions;

11195301_847697218636533_429326257_n.jpg

The toy was a big hit with Cleo, she holds it and sort of walks around with it... It's hilarious. :lol:

11178583_847697198636535_25247531_n.jpg

However, Petra (as usual) was more concerned about her belly... :lol:

Back