• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixing breeds of rabbits - small and large

lindsay101

New Kit
Hey,
I have recently decided I would like some litter trained house rabbits. I really like the flemish Giant. However would I be able to pair it up with a small rabbit breed. For example a lionhead? Or something slightly larger like a lop?

Can rabbits of different sizes live together if paired from a young age? I can't find much about it on the net , so experiences/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

yes it's possible to match up different sizes/breeds/ages etc :) all that matters really is the bunnies' temperaments! a neutered male and neutered female is usually the best match. rescue centres often have ready paired bunnies or can help you with bonding an existing bun to one of their singles :D they come ready vaccinated and neutered too.

Absolutely what elmoandfern said. Nothing to add to that :D

There are some wonderfully mismatched pairs on here. :love:

Absolutely what elmoandfern said. Nothing to add to that :D

There are some wonderfully mismatched pairs on here. :love:

Oh fantastic news!. So if I get a Giant Rabbit, can you recommend a bunny breed to go with it? Is there a better bunny breed for house rabbits?

Once the bunny is neutered and recovered, it's better to let the bunny choose his or her own friend. if you look on the rabbit rehome site and search for giants, there will be lots, and the rescues who have them may well be able to bond the bunny with another one for you (or bunny may already have a friend).

I, too, would recommend looking at rescue rabbits - they are often already bonded in pairs, a definite advantage.

It can be but its more about giving the rabbits the best chance of lifelong happiness. Kind of like if someone was forced to spend their life with someone, they may not be as happy as if they were allowed to choose their partner themself (although rabbits obviously don't have the added complications people have).

Back