• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding a 3rd floor to current hutch- Runaround top boxes?

Marmalade

New Kit
I just wrote a whole post and closed the tab by accident!! :'(

I have a Rose Cottage hutch and I'm wanting to add a 3rd floor, using Runaround top boxes.
I'm sure I've seen a hutch on here where a 3rd floor has been added, using Runaround pipes.

I wondered the best way to do it, without getting in the way of the doors, but also putting the pipes at an angle suitable for the rabbits to get up and down. Is it doable?

Please excuse the terrible Paint job but would this work? I know the pipes can be quite tricky to bend and get them to stay bent!
2jdm9tk.jpg

I also need a way to connect the two top boxes together. Does this literally just attach via ratchet clips, thus attaching the boxes to one another? http://www.runaround.co.uk/collections/connections/products/box-to-box-connector

ETA: This is the one I was thinking of
100_1086.jpg

Hope said poster doesn't mind me stealing pic!

In this case, another question; how would one best cut pipe holes in the hutch cover neatly, without ruining it?

One final question, will I need to buy two pipes and cut various holes (I've been told rabbits like two entrances/exits) or will one pipe to and from the top boxes suffice?

Last edited:
I would say one would probably be fine as it's not a massive area.

Have you thought about putting the area layer on the bottom instead? Basically add long legs and then wrap mesh around them? You could even pick up a second hand coffee table or similar and use that as a base to stand the hutch on and then mesh around the legs.... just another option :)

Back