• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welfare concerns? What can I do about it?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I have a welfare concern about a rabbit that is being used as part of a children's birthday show regularly in Hartlepool where I live.

The guy who uses the bunny is a regular children's entertainer for children's parties, christenings etc...

My mum and dad were at a christening yesterday where he was performing for the children and my dad said that the ''trick'' he does with the rabbits where there is small empty box and he puts a balloon inside, he then puts a blanket over the top and pops the balloon, when he removes the blanket there isa rabbit inside the tiny cage.

My dad told me that even after the trick was performed and he moved onto other things, the rabbit was left inside a tiny cage where he couldn't move at all for at least another 20 minutes or so! Maybe longer, my dad said there was no wiggle room at all!

Is there anything I can do to report the use of the rabbit in the show or anything really? My mum will go mad if she knows I'm thinking about reporting it as she doesn't like the trouble things like this cause.

But I do think its awful that the poor rabbit gets dragged to children's parties day after day for the sake of one magic trick and then gets left inside a tiny cage for the duration of the performance.

I have the man's page on Facebook so I know his name etc. I don't really want to cause trouble but want to make it known that its not acceptable to treat a rabbit in this way, poor thing must be terrified..

:( Don't know the answer as to what you can do but do know why you want to.:cry: He must pop the balloon in the rabbit's vicinity too which must be very frightening for the poor thing.

I find it really shocking that this sort of thing still goes on and wasn't left behind decades ago.:(

action for rabbits or the RWAF might be able to offer some advice about the best way to approach him?

I was thinking of e-mailing them and asking, I'm also in contact with Jo Hinde who does a lot of work for them so I thought I would ask her? I really can't just let this go on, apparently the bunny is referred to as ''Ziggy the magic bunny'' and he is down as a regular part of his act. :(

:( Don't know the answer as to what you can do but do know why you want to.:cry: He must pop the balloon in the rabbit's vicinity too which must be very frightening for the poor thing.

I find it really shocking that this sort of thing still goes on and wasn't left behind decades ago.:(

That is what I thought as well. The rabbit must be literally in a box underneath the ''original'' box and comes through a trap door when the balloon is popped. There are lots of photos of him holding the rabbit with children and the rabbit looks very scared to me.

I have a welfare concern about a rabbit that is being used as part of a children's birthday show regularly in Hartlepool where I live.

The guy who uses the bunny is a regular children's entertainer for children's parties, christenings etc...

My mum and dad were at a christening yesterday where he was performing for the children and my dad said that the ''trick'' he does with the rabbits where there is small empty box and he puts a balloon inside, he then puts a blanket over the top and pops the balloon, when he removes the blanket there isa rabbit inside the tiny cage.

My dad told me that even after the trick was performed and he moved onto other things, the rabbit was left inside a tiny cage where he couldn't move at all for at least another 20 minutes or so! Maybe longer, my dad said there was no wiggle room at all!

Is there anything I can do to report the use of the rabbit in the show or anything really? My mum will go mad if she knows I'm thinking about reporting it as she doesn't like the trouble things like this cause.

But I do think its awful that the poor rabbit gets dragged to children's parties day after day for the sake of one magic trick and then gets left inside a tiny cage for the duration of the performance.

I have the man's page on Facebook so I know his name etc. I don't really want to cause trouble but want to make it known that its not acceptable to treat a rabbit in this way, poor thing must be terrified..

How awful! You could contact the RSPCA? Surely they must be able to do something about it?

How awful! You could contact the RSPCA? Surely they must be able to do something about it?

I doubt that they can do anything as the rabbit isn't being kept like that permanently and is probably being fed and watered at home, he does 2 hour shows normally and sometimes 1 hour. So for the rabbits short part he is in the tiny cage for 2 hours sometimes surely? :(

I doubt that they can do anything as the rabbit isn't being kept like that permanently and is probably being fed and watered at home, he does 2 hour shows normally and sometimes 1 hour. So for the rabbits short part he is in the tiny cage for 2 hours sometimes surely? :(

But surely being kept like that for any period of time and being a show that involves a balloon popping right next to him and the general stress of it all must give the RSPCA a reason to act?! I really have no idea how the RSPCA works (apart from watching TV shows about them…) so I don't know what would be classed as not meeting an animals needs or neglecting/abusing them but I would like to think this would give them a reason to act!!

But surely being kept like that for any period of time and being a show that involves a balloon popping right next to him and the general stress of it all must give the RSPCA a reason to act?! I really have no idea how the RSPCA works (apart from watching TV shows about them…) so I don't know what would be classed as not meeting an animals needs or neglecting/abusing them but I would like to think this would give them a reason to act!!

I think I'm going to report it anyway, Jo said that as long as they have a ''performing animals license'' there isn't a lot they can do?

I think the RSPCA are so inundated with neglect and cruelty cases where animals are in really bad shape that they rarely get chance to check stuff like this out.

I really don't think the RSPCA will do much as there are still animals being used in children's entertainment like this sadly. I think your best bet would be to get the RWAF's view on what to do, maybe they can talk to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think the RSPCA will do much as there are still animals being used in children's entertainment like this sadly. I think your best bet would be to get the RWAF's view on what to do, maybe they can talk to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sent the RWAF an e-mail, if I can do something about it I will :thumb:

The RWAF have encourage me to contact the RSPCA about it. Which I have done. Hopefully I hear something back.

I know nothing about these things but just thinking aloud perhaps he's in some sort of society for entertainers or similar (if this is his full time job anyway). If no luck with the RSPCA you could always contact them?

ETA I've just googled him and can see who you mean. He is part of a larger organisation so you could contact them.

Back