• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking more than usual?

Holhol

Alpha Buck
As the title says really... Fergie seems to be drinking much more than he usually does and im just wondering whether or not I should be worried - I know increased thirst can be a sign of bigger problems but Im not sure if I'm being over cautious!

He has a sort of normal rabbit sized bowl from pets at home (Orange one with carrots on if anyone knows it) for water which I change twice daily - Id say he's getting through 1/3 to 1/2 a bowl each time so probably having nearly a full bowl per day. This probably isn't that much in terms of actual liquid but before Id never even noticed a drop in it when I changed it.

The only sensible reason I can think of is that he is eating A LOT more hay and is moulting. Since his dental he's getting a max of 1/2 egg cup pellets and a very small bowl of greens and herbs per day so is eating more hay then ever (which is brill!) - would this make him drink more?

My other worry is that he had about a week and a half of metacam about 3 weeks ago and wondered if that's done something (unlikely i know but just wondered). He's not weeing any more than normal as far as I can see though.

Please tell me I'm worrying too much! I can't afford another vet trip this month haha! :)

It sounds as though he is drinking more due to his increased hay intake, this is completely normal. Average water consumption is 50ml-100ml/kg/day, Rabbits who eat a lot of fresh grass/fresh veg etc tend to drink less than those who do not. From what you have described it sounds as though Fergie's water intake is not excessive unless he is a very, very tiny Rabbit !!

I'd just keep an eye on the situation, check that his wee does not always look like water and that he does not loose his litter tray training or start to have a urine soaked rear end. Also, I'd weigh him every 3-4 days. Unexplained weightloss and a sudden increase in water intake would merit a Vet check.

It sounds as though he is drinking more due to his increased hay intake, this is completely normal. Average water consumption is 50ml-100ml/kg/day, Rabbits who eat a lot of fresh grass/fresh veg etc tend to drink less than those who do not. From what you have described it sounds as though Fergie's water intake is not excessive unless he is a very, very tiny Rabbit !!

I'd just keep an eye on the situation, check that his wee does not always look like water and that he does not loose his litter tray training or start to have a urine soaked rear end. Also, I'd weigh him every 3-4 days. Unexplained weightloss and a sudden increase in water intake would merit a Vet check.

Thanks Jane :) he's 1.9kg so I didn't think it was too much - just weird seeing him drink when he wasn't a big drinker! His veg has been cut down quite a bit so it's probably just that. His wee looks completely normal, think he just likes to worry me! X

As the title says really... Fergie seems to be drinking much more than he usually does and im just wondering whether or not I should be worried - I know increased thirst can be a sign of bigger problems but Im not sure if I'm being over cautious!

He has a sort of normal rabbit sized bowl from pets at home (Orange one with carrots on if anyone knows it) for water which I change twice daily - Id say he's getting through 1/3 to 1/2 a bowl each time so probably having nearly a full bowl per day. This probably isn't that much in terms of actual liquid but before Id never even noticed a drop in it when I changed it.

The only sensible reason I can think of is that he is eating A LOT more hay and is moulting. Since his dental he's getting a max of 1/2 egg cup pellets and a very small bowl of greens and herbs per day so is eating more hay then ever (which is brill!) - would this make him drink more?

My other worry is that he had about a week and a half of metacam about 3 weeks ago and wondered if that's done something (unlikely i know but just wondered). He's not weeing any more than normal as far as I can see though.

Please tell me I'm worrying too much! I can't afford another vet trip this month haha! :)

I would 'watch and wait' ... I sometimes find when buns are moulting they drink and then they clean their fur .... and again and again ... Seems to be a ritual for getting the fur off themselves. The fur certainly comes off easier when I wet it !

Back