• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reassurance!

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Hi, so i'm probably going to get annoying with all of the questions I have but I'm so new to this being a mummy to a bunny thing and I'm so anxious to get it right and do a good job. I find searching the internet pretty unhelpful as I just get myself worried!
So, first off i'm really worried that he's not going to be warm enough in his hutch! He doesn't burrow in the hay and straw in there he just sits on top in the closed off part....is this because he's warm enough? Or does he just not know to burrow? (I'm really sorry if this sounds silly!)
When I first brought him inside he was really cautious and sort of tiptoed around but he soon seemed more comfortable. Then while he was hopping around the room he started randomly jumping in the air. The only thing I can find online that seems like this is binkying...is it definitely this? Or is there anything else it could be ? He doesn't seem worried, he tends to just tear around the room jumping up high every so often! Then he'll stop and have a scratch or a groom!
Another thing is when I stroke him he flattens himself to the ground and stays really still! Does this mean he doesn't like it or is this just what rabbits do? He doesn't try to run away or anything he just stays still! Then this morning when my partner was in the room for the first time he settled really quickly then ran over to him and rested his head on his feet! He hasn't done this with me not sure why he likes my bf so much :p
I'm sure I'll have lots more to ask! I'm just really worried that I won't be doing a good enough job!!! He was a lovely surprise as a birthday present but I wish I'd had some time to research and prepare myself!!!

Its generally not advised that a rabbit go from being outside to inside again and again, as it can interfere with their ability to cope with the cold. A hutch is generally warm enough as long as it is insulated and there is lots of warm material to climb under. Have you considered getting a friend for your rabbit? There is nothing better than another warm rabbit friend to snuggle into for warmth.

Rabbits generally do better with a friend anyway as they are very social creatures, rabbits can also be kept indoors of there is a way you could do that. I think I remember you saying your rabbit was very very young?

Sounds like he's having a bunny 500 with a few binkies I.e running around like a mad thing and jumping for joy! Not surprising having come from a little enclosure at pets at home, he's enjoying the space.

He's just relaxing when you stroke him, especially if you rub his nose or forehead. They'll go really still so you don't stop the fussing :)

As Sarah said once he's old enough to be neutered a friend will make him very happy plus keep him warm on colder nights having someone to snuggle up to.

Hi... If you fill the hidey bit full of hay, he should bury himself in it if he's cold.. My Obi does this and there have been a couple of times, I nearly emptied the litter tray out with him tucked up in it.. Sme people on here use straw.. Rabbits don't get any nutrition from eating hay but it does insulate better,,

As for a partner, yes, it's advisable to get 2 bunnies as they are social animals and if kept outside, alone, they can become very lonely..

However, in your situation with a bunny so young, I wouldn't advise it as M&S-sexing can i cure very young and often a male and female are put together resulting in an unwanted litter. Get your wee bun neutered first then once hormones have died down, you can maybe approach a rescue to help with a partner,,..nothing nicer than bunnies snuggled together:love:

I certainly think if you stuff the hutch full of hay, you will be Okay. It will take time for little bun to get used to it but as mentioned , bringing a bunny in then out then in can result in respiratory issues,,,

You are doing well, researching... Keep on asking, it's no problem...

Fee xx

Ah I didn't know about the inside/outside thing! It seemed like the safest option for him as our home is new (we bought it a couple of months ago) and the garden isn't in the best state of repair!! Lots of dead plants and things - wasn't sure how safe it was for him! Whereas the room I'm bringing him into is just a nice big empty room with lots of space! I have definitely thought about getting him a friend! My partner and his mum bought him for me as a surprise so I wasn't able to have a say in this part of it! I did worry about him getting lonely! A new bunny brings with it a whole new load of worry though haha! Is the hutch that my partner carefully chose so that it was big enough for him big enough for two? Boy or girl friend? What if they don't get on? Argh lots to consider I guess! Not that I'd have it any other way I love him lots!

haha I'm pleased that means he's happy! I was really worried there was something wrong! Especially with the laying still thing - i didn't want him to be terrified but its so tempting to give him a stroke hes so soft!!!

Could you have him as an indoor bunny permanently? Lots of members on here have free-ranging house bunnies :)

As for getting a friend - as he is a boy a female companion is usually the best match (both will need to be neutered of course!) rescues will often help you find a compatible bunny and help with the bonding process :) what size is the hutch you have currently?

When I first got my rabbit I genuinely thought that there was something wrong with her when she did her first binky 2 days in. I thought she was convulsing :shock: Now I know better thanks to RU forum. Welcome and here's to your bunny binkying lots :wave:

The minimum size for a bunny is 6x2x2... To enable bunnies to hop and to stand up (periscope) on their back legs... They should always be given access to a run...

It's bizarre but when my bunny was alone, I worried more.. I was anxious to make sure they were Okay. I worried less with two as they had each other for company and once you have the bunnies happy.. It makes all the difference,

Awww, rabbit binkies are fab!!,!:love:

Yes unfortunately pets at home don't sell hutches that meet the size requirements for rabbits, lots of people have them either as house rabbits if you have a spare room or in a shed/playhouse or there are some hutches big enough from other companies.

I wouldn't have known where to start with bonding my girl but luckily I took her to my local rescue who found her a boy she liked and did all the hard work for me. You've got a while to think about that though, as he's so young. i had no idea of any of this when I took Rosie on, you'll get loads of help here but it sounds like he's a happy boy so far :thumb:

When I first got my rabbit I genuinely thought that there was something wrong with her when she did her first binky 2 days in. I thought she was convulsing :shock: Now I know better thanks to RU forum. Welcome and here's to your bunny binkying lots :wave:

i told my vet i thought elmo had brain damage :lol:

I considered having him indoors but my other half isn't keen. The hutch is small 6 by 2 by 2 which i think is as small as it can be? We figured it would be ok until he got a bit bigger then mog is gona build on it :)

Thankfully my other half didn't buy the hutch from pets at gome just the bunny. His mum had rabbits before so she sourced the hutch for us xxx

Back