• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Positive stories needed…UPDATE; Vet decided not to go ahead with Winston's neuter :(

ImoT

Mama Doe
So Winston is going in to be neutered on Tuesday, i'm a nervous wreck :( I was feeling okay until really recently I read on a facebook group that someones rabbit died during it's neutering operation. I feel like i'm being rather selfish putting him through an operation that he doesn't technically 'need'…i.e. it's not going to save his life or anything.

Please tell me it's going to be okay?? My vet is very rabbit savvy (recommended by the RWAF and someone on here who has lots of rabbits), so it's just routine right?? How did your rabbit's spay or neuter go when they had it done?

What should I expect him to be like after the op? I've set up a little penned off area in the living room with lots of comfy towels and things all ready for him to come home to and recover in.

Last edited:
Might save his life later on though, testicular cancer etc.

I had a 6 month old male and 5 year old male neutered and it was like nothing had happened tbh, they got home and were eating and pooing normally. Donny even lay with his legs flat out which I did think couldn't have been comfortable but whatever!

Of course there are risks with everything to do with GA, I have my 10 year old bun having regular dentals now and worry but I guess I just get on with it now so don't really think about it as it's for his benefit and health.

You'll only really ever read about the things that go bad, people don't always post saying "neuter went well" or something because it went fine and they don't think it's particularly important kind of thing. Usually people post because they want help understanding or answers, which is why it seems there are so many more than the straight forward in and out jobs.

The problems I had with 3 spays though... Never again! Another reason I will only ever rescue now, can't be dealing with spays again..

Whenever mine are in for an operation I just keep busy and keep myself occupied so I don't really have time to think about it x

Last edited:
I understand your fear so won't say don't worry as you will anyway :) All of mine have been done and the boys bounced back so quick you wouldn't know anything had happened. Just keep busy on the day xx

Good luck at the plum fairies!! It's never easy but he'll be through it again no time...

Think positive, just think of the benefits, more positive than negative

Fee x

The positives about Winston being neutered definitely outweigh the negatives. I am sure we all have been very worried when our bunnies are having surgery.....but I am sure it will all go well and he will be back home minus fluffy teabags, very soon.

I understand that it's worrying as it's a bit op with a GA but it will greatly benefit him in the long term, he will be a lot happier and less frustrated!

Every once in a blue moon something can go wrong, but the same is true of crossing the street. ;) GAs these days are a lot safer than previously. I worked in an animal shelter and during 4 years, we neutered hundreds of rabbits and only lost one, who as I remember had some complicating health condition.

A big positive for Winston is that you are aware of the risks and will take good care of him afterwards :D Make sure he's still eating and drinking after, and if you're worried phone your vet for advice.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

So Winston is going in to be neutered on Tuesday, i'm a nervous wreck :( I was feeling okay until really recently I read on a facebook group that someones rabbit died during it's neutering operation. I feel like i'm being rather selfish putting him through an operation that he doesn't technically 'need'…i.e. it's not going to save his life or anything.

Please tell me it's going to be okay?? My vet is very rabbit savvy (recommended by the RWAF and someone on here who has lots of rabbits), so it's just routine right?? How did your rabbit's spay or neuter go when they had it done?

What should I expect him to be like after the op? I've set up a little penned off area in the living room with lots of comfy towels and things all ready for him to come home to and recover in.

I have worked for rescue centres for the past 20+ years, and fostered hundreds of bunnies (not including my own immense mob!). In all that time I have known of one male who never made it. Just one out of many many hundreds over more than 20 years. It's very rare.

If he is healthy then there is no reason why it should not be straightforward.

You say he doesn't technically need to be neutered. Is he going to live alone all his life? If he is ever to have a friend for company, he will need to be neutered.

You have done your homework - found a good vet etc. He will be fine :thumb:

Thank you everyone, it's really helpful to hear positive things from you all!

I have worked for rescue centres for the past 20+ years, and fostered hundreds of bunnies (not including my own immense mob!). In all that time I have known of one male who never made it. Just one out of many many hundreds over more than 20 years. It's very rare.

If he is healthy then there is no reason why it should not be straightforward.

You say he doesn't technically need to be neutered. Is he going to live alone all his life? If he is ever to have a friend for company, he will need to be neutered.

You have done your homework - found a good vet etc. He will be fine :thumb:

We are planning on getting him a companion, so I suppose he does need to be neutered for that to have a higher chance of being successful and for the bunnies to live happily together.

Might save his life later on though, testicular cancer etc.

I had a 6 month old male and 5 year old male neutered and it was like nothing had happened tbh, they got home and were eating and pooing normally. Donny even lay with his legs flat out which I did think couldn't have been comfortable but whatever!

Of course there are risks with everything to do with GA, I have my 10 year old bun having regular dentals now and worry but I guess I just get on with it now so don't really think about it as it's for his benefit and health.

You'll only really ever read about the things that go bad, people don't always post saying "neuter went well" or something because it went fine and they don't think it's particularly important kind of thing. Usually people post because they want help understanding or answers, which is why it seems there are so many more than the straight forward in and out jobs.

The problems I had with 3 spays though... Never again! Another reason I will only ever rescue now, can't be dealing with spays again..

Whenever mine are in for an operation I just keep busy and keep myself occupied so I don't really have time to think about it x

That is true, you only ever tend to read about the negative stories, which is really nice to hear about the positive times from you all! :)

That's interesting you talk about problem spays, we are planning on getting a female companion for Winston in the next few months, and part of the reason I want to get her from a rescue is because it's likely she will already be spayed so it's just one less thing I have to put a rabbit through myself!

I'm planning to clean the whole house from top to bottom whilst Winston is in surgery/at the vets, cleaning always relaxes me! He is most likely staying overnight (my vets tend to keep rabbits in overnight to check they are eating and pooing) so my house will be sparkling by the time i've finished with it!

Today's the day...off to the vets in a minute ahhh! :/

Good luck and don't worry, I think I remember Jo Hinde telling me that its something like 1% of rabbits who have had complications during neutering?

Take lots of tasty treats for when he wakes up and don't let the vet send you home without pain relief to give him for a couple of days after :thumb: all will be fine im sure xx

Lots of vibes for Winston today and (((hugs))) for you - it'll be over before you know it and Winston will be home expecting to be spoilt rotten! xx

So there has been a change of plan…..the vet decided not to go ahead with Winston's neuter today because one of his testicles hasn't descended and they didn't want to risk going in through his abdomen when he's only 9-10months old because of the high risk of stasis. We are going to give him another 2 months and if it still hasn't descended then go ahead and go in through his abdomen, or see if it descends under general anaesthetic. I'm a bit frustrated because it means we have to wait even longer to get him a companion and we can't move him into the living room yet :( Thank you for all the well wishes anyways. He spent some time in the kennels at the vets so at least he got a bit used to it for when the time actually comes!

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my boys, their neuter got delayed because they hadn't quite dropped yet! Definitely best to wait.

My vet was quite willing to go ahead with the abdominal route but members here encouraged me to wait as the abdominal route is so invasive and the recovery time is longer!

It won't be long until he is ''all there' if you know what I mean. Time will only tell but I'm glad the vet didn't go the other way.

Winston's plumbs are safe for another day xx

So there has been a change of plan…..the vet decided not to go ahead with Winston's neuter today because one of his testicles hasn't descended and they didn't want to risk going in through his abdomen when he's only 9-10months old because of the high risk of stasis. We are going to give him another 2 months and if it still hasn't descended then go ahead and go in through his abdomen, or see if it descends under general anaesthetic. I'm a bit frustrated because it means we have to wait even longer to get him a companion and we can't move him into the living room yet :( Thank you for all the well wishes anyways. He spent some time in the kennels at the vets so at least he got a bit used to it for when the time actually comes!

I'm sorry that you and he will have to go through this all again, and that he will have to wait a bit longer to have a friend. However, it's much better the vet is confident about what he's doing and the advice you've been given is sound.

At least you will know what's going to happen next time round :thumb:

Same thing happened to my boys, their neuter got delayed because they hadn't quite dropped yet! Definitely best to wait.

My vet was quite willing to go ahead with the abdominal route but members here encouraged me to wait as the abdominal route is so invasive and the recovery time is longer!

It won't be long until he is ''all there' if you know what I mean. Time will only tell but I'm glad the vet didn't go the other way.

Winston's plumbs are safe for another day xx

I'm sorry that you and he will have to go through this all again, and that he will have to wait a bit longer to have a friend. However, it's much better the vet is confident about what he's doing and the advice you've been given is sound.

At least you will know what's going to happen next time round :thumb:

The vet was fab. I didn't even get charged even though he had 2 health checks and spent 2 hours in kennels (and they dealt with my crazy bunny mum tendencies…I packed him an overnight bag with three different types of hay, multiple herbs and veggies and some fenugreek crunchies!!) She said that if they haven't dropped by the time he is a year old she will be happier going in abdominally because the risks of testicular cancer outweigh the risks of going in through the abdomen. Do you think that sounds like good advice?

Back