• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

loose stools

Rita

Warren Scout
hi all, since i have separated my boy from the girl, his poo has become really soft and sticking to his bum, he's eating ok, but i am worried he is stressed.
the little girl is fine, poo normal and eating plenty.
could he be stressed, they can still see each other but not touch. if i move him into the other shed on his own, i am worried that the bond will be broken. bless him, what should i do. i have been adding thyme to his food as this can help settle his tummy.

hi all, since i have separated my boy from the girl, his poo has become really soft and sticking to his bum, he's eating ok, but i am worried he is stressed.
the little girl is fine, poo normal and eating plenty.
could he be stressed, they can still see each other but not touch. if i move him into the other shed on his own, i am worried that the bond will be broken. bless him, what should i do. i have been adding thyme to his food as this can help settle his tummy.

As I mentioned in one of your previous threads he will be extremely stressed and frustrated.

Unfortunately an Entire Buck can and will use all means possible to get to a Doe. I think I would be inclined to separate them completely as he will be living in a state of permanent frustration at the moment. Almost certainly why he trashes his cage. He is ready to mate, he can see and smell a Doe but he has to work damn hard to get to her.

I honestly think it to be in his best interests to remove him from the same area as your Doe. His hormones must be driving him crazy :cry:

I would feed just hay and water for 24 hours, maybe a few bramble leaves if you have any (fresh or dried). Hopefully his poo will firm up again but if not he needs to be examined by a Vet

As I mentioned in one of your previous threads he will be extremely stressed and frustrated.

I honestly think it to be in his best interests to remove him from the same area as your Doe. His hormones must be driving him crazy :cry:

I would feed just hay and water for 24 hours, maybe a few bramble leaves if you have any (fresh or dried). Hopefully his poo will firm up again but if not he needs to be examined by a Vet

ok i will put him back into the other shed. i just hate the thought that they are now completely on there own. bless him.

Hey. My female rabbits poo went really soft and almost gooey whilst we were trying to bond her with a neutured male.
I found that by giving her a lot more hay the poo hardened almost immedeatly and we stopped bonding for a few days. Hope I helped good luck :)

just another quick question. i have moved mr. bunny back to there old quarters and left little girl in the cattery. As the cattery will be there main quarters once he has been done.
which way is best putting the male in her domain or her in his domain. i am trying to make life as easy as possible for when they get reunited. sorry for all the questions.

Hey. My female rabbits poo went really soft and almost gooey whilst we were trying to bond her with a neutured male.
I found that by giving her a lot more hay the poo hardened almost immedeatly and we stopped bonding for a few days. Hope I helped good luck :)

thank you for that, i have just added some more hay and no more treats. when you bonded your two did you put him in her house or the other way round. not sure who should be living in the cattery as this will be their home in the future.

just another quick question. i have moved mr. bunny back to there old quarters and left little girl in the cattery. As the cattery will be there main quarters once he has been done.
which way is best putting the male in her domain or her in his domain. i am trying to make life as easy as possible for when they get reunited. sorry for all the questions.

You will need to re- introduce them in an area that is unknown to BOTH of them :) Provided they get along and establish a bond (this may take several days) you can then move them into the accommodation they will share. If this is to be the cattery then personally I'd move the Doe out and leave the Buck in there at the moment. Does are a lot more territorial than Bucks. Whilst the initial stages of the re-bonding takes place in the neutral area you will need to thoroughly clean the cattery to try to remove as much 'evidence' of either of them ever being in there. Changing the fixtures and fittings around too to try to create as 'new' (to both of them) environment as possible

You will need to re- introduce them in an area that is unknown to BOTH of them :) Provided they get along and establish a bond (this may take several days) you can then move them into the accommodation they will share. If this is to be the cattery then personally I'd move the Doe out and leave the Buck in there at the moment. Does are a lot more territorial than Bucks. Whilst the initial stages of the re-bonding takes place in the neutral area you will need to thoroughly clean the cattery to try to remove as much 'evidence' of either of them ever being in there. Changing the fixtures and fittings around too to try to create as 'new' (to both of them) environment as possible

ok that makes sense. i was going to vamp the cattery to suit bunnies, i was thinking of adding another level and opening up the other shed (neither of them has been in there). lets hope they will still like each other after the separation.

Hay is the golden solution to so many problems, including this one :thumb:

thank you for that, i have just added some more hay and no more treats. when you bonded your two did you put him in her house or the other way round. not sure who should be living in the cattery as this will be their home in the future.

I think I mentioned this on your other thread ..... You need to bond your bunnies on neutral territory, where neither has been, or it has been thoroughly cleaned beforehand. That way neither bun feels it's 'their' territory

when you say clean the area, what is best to use. could you use a weak bleach solution.

when you say clean the area, what is best to use. could you use a weak bleach solution.

Yes,a 10:1 dilution and then rinse really well. All areas must be completely dry before the Rabbits move in :) Or if you wanted to avoid using chemicals you could steam clean everything, wipe down everything with white vinegar then steam clean again.

Yes you can use a very weak bleach solution, or a very weak solution of white vinegar (not so easy to find as the malt vinegar type).

It depends on your flooring - I have a steam cleaner and use that on carpeted areas, though you can use it on wood and kitchen floors too if you're careful x

ok i have a steamer so that's what i will do.
my little boy bunny has done lots of poo's today, normal one's.
but there is still this wet cluster of poo also. i have cut down his food and added more hay, he has timothy hay and meadow hay.

but there is still this wet cluster of poo also. i have cut down his food and added more hay, he has timothy hay and meadow hay.

It sounds as though things are improving re his poo. It may take a couple of days for it to return to 100% normal.

:thumb: Sounding good! x

Back