• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone got a runaround setup ?

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Am thinking of getting my buns a setup, but am a bit confused about what to buy.
Can anyone tell me, what's the difference between a double and single door ? I just want a pipe from their existing enclosure, to a new runaround run, which will be on the lawn.
Also are the runs pretty heavy, or would I need to weight it down ( gets very windy here).
Lastly, can the buns turn round in the pipe (they are dwarf lops) or once they are in that's it ? I want to be able to shut the door thingy joining the existing enclosure, while I am cleaning out and stuff, but don't want them up against a dead end !
Hope that makes sense to someone, thanks !

Hello, the double doors can have a pipe attached and have a door slid in from the inside of the hutch/run so you can block it off. Single doors can only have a pipe attached OR a door attached from the same side. So you'd have to take off the pipe everyone you wanted to block it off. I'm sure small rabbits could turn around inside the pipe if they really wanted to, mine normally reverse backwards though if they change their minds and want to go the other way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As EBM said, the double door allows you to block it off with the blocking plate (which is provided) without removing the tube - very handy! I would recommend going for double doors everywhere possible considering it's only about £2 more. I find it very handy to block mine into the shed if I want to remove the run to mow the grass, and it's come in handy a good few times to have a double door on their run as I can paint their shed and shut them out for a few hours or catch them when it's vets time!

Never had a run from runaround but I imagine they'd be okay in the wind - it should just blow through the mesh. They do some with pegs to keep them down I believe... at least my tubes did so I would suspect the runs do too. If you're concerned it might be better to go for a proper big wooden solild one.

I don't think many bunnies would be able to turn around in the normal sized tunnel - possibly netherland dwarves, but it's fairly narrow in there. In most cases I think they'd just come out the other end and turn around or just reverse down the tube instead. They can reverse down the tube at considerable speed!

I think if you get a double door on the run and the hutch you could just shut them into the run when you want to clean out the hutch, and vice versa :)

Hi EBM and Yaretzi, thank you both for replying. That's really helpful info, I understand what a double door is now, and yes I agree doubles all round I think ! I'm sure the products are great, but the website is a bit lacking if you've never actually seen them. I had to laugh at a bunny in reverse, that would be something to see, wish they did a see through pipe ! :lol:

The Runaround system is great. We have a mix of double and single doors and the pipe joiners (much cheaper and good if you know you won't be moving the connection that much). As for the buns turning around, they have no problem, we have a 2.5kg bun and he has never got stuck. They are actually quite good at reversing down or up the tubes (they often do this with the top box when we are cleaning it out - they get to the top have a look at reverse back). Also we live on a hill on the coast and have had some really windy nights and the pipes and topbox have stayed firmly put - I'm always more worried about the fence falling down!

Great post - I got a bit confused with their set ups too, emailed them and their reply was even more confusing! :lol: Thinking about getting one when I move house later this year.
I have bought a pipe and seat for Flo, really great quality. My mum even commented on how finally someone is taking into consideration rabbits needs when it comes to runs!

Lastly, can the buns turn round in the pipe (they are dwarf lops) or once they are in that's it ? I want to be able to shut the door thingy joining the existing enclosure, while I am cleaning out and stuff, but don't want them up against a dead end !
I've got a dwarf lop cross and I'm not sure he can, but does reverse down the shorter green tunnel in his run. My OH made this for him yesterday:

10923298_10101527497860838_3444746509125053923_n.jpg

It's two salvaged ducting pipes joined with the old run cover and some garden wire :lol: It's 100% temporary, but it does mean we can test out where things CAN go. The pipes are 6" diameter (one of them's 5.5" smallest dimension) and he MIGHT be able to turn round, I don't know. He's not the most flexible of rabbits, I'm sure, but he's also smallish at 1.25kg. He certainly has some clearance running about in them!

ETA: I remembered I have this picture to show how big he is vs. a 5.5" pipe:

1622787_10101350689456298_9160692335382998581_n.jpg

That was back-end of October, so he was pretty winter-fluffy.

Last edited:
Back