• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guilt of leaving bun

Dieselsmum

Warren Scout
Evening all,

So I have to go away for work next week and I was just writing details down for family members regarding my animals when all of a sudden I got an attack of the major guilts over my bun.

He's a house bun who has a huge cage indoors but he free reigns whenever someone is home. As its school holidays my eldest son, who is 14, will be at home in the daytime every day from about 8.30 to dinner time (when he will then go back to my sisters) so bun has a lot of company and nose rubs but I worry as his most active time is the evening before bed but no one will be here. It's only for 4 days but I feel so guilty.

My mum will be in and out too making sure he has fresh hay etc.

Does anyone else get like this? [emoji20]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would get a puppy pen to attach to the cage, or better still bunny proof a room, as even the largest cages available aren't large enough for a rabbit to be shut in for any length of time. The rwaf recommend a minimum space of 44 sq ft to be permanently available.

i wouldn't feel guilty about your bun having to make small sacrifices over a small period of time - the most important thing is that he is healthy and looked after :) however i would second what zoobec said and look at maybe changing his living arrangements in general as shutting a rabbit in a cage for any period of time on a regular basis isn't really fair

Sorry is taken me so long to reply, it's been manic the last few days. Thank you for your replies. He doesn't have a cage, as in shop bought cage, it's a very large enclosure made with the C&C grids with multiple levels. :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back