• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6ft double hutch advise

I've not seen it but I would be wary to be honest, it doesn't look very substantial. I think I would go for a joiner made one, there are a few hutchmakers on here :thumb:

If you are interested in a quality bespoke hutch then on this forum there is the hutchman and boyles joinery if you look them up in the search bar on the top right x

It looks very similar to one I bought and have never used because I had to do so much to it to make it secure and weatherproof - it never got finished and is now a giant cupboard in the garden. It doesn't say what size or thickness the timbers are, but the bolts look like the tiny fiddly ones on mine.

I recently got a 6 foot double welfare hutch and am very impressed with it. Much more expensive though, but the bonus when compared with my old hutch which was around the same price of the one you posted a link to, is the welfare hutch has a solid wood back as well as sides and a very thick wooden floor. My old cheaper hutch had a thin plywood back and floor and the reason I had to replace it is that the thin plywood had rotted.

Dont get it. They are rubbish. No good at all for outdoors. I bought a 5 x 2 foot double for my guinea pigs. They are now in a plastic bottom one (easier to clean) and Harvest hamster has the hutch. She seems to like it (its in my bedroom).

Well worth paying the extra. I have a single 6 foot welfare hutches hutch and its brilliant.

It looks like it would be a nightmare to clean, the left hand mesh panels don't open by the look of things, you'd be constantly bending round to try and clean it, which would defeat the object of you wanting to avoid the need to bend a lot. Unfortunately with hutches you do get what you pay for and the cheaper hutches will be made of thin, soft wood which won't last and I would genuinely worry about the floors not being strong enough for 3 bunnies of the sizes you describe!

I brought the 5 foot version of 'Rosie's rabbit home' and tbh it's not great. The wood is thin and it is awkward to clean the side that doesn't open. I'd only recomend it if it was tempory or going indoors. In my opinion, you would be much better in the long run to spend a little bit extra and get a better quality hutch.

ok thanks guys you have definitely made my mind up as I was a bit wary with it not saying what sort of wood it was using. Has the hutch man got a website? I can't find him. I will have a look for him on facebook I think I liked his page on there at one point.

Back