• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbits are NOT my Surrogate Children !!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
*Disclaimer* Thread NOT relating to anything 'said' on RU, but to something a neighbour has just said to me

Why do so many people assume that because I have no children I 'must' consider my Rabbits to be my 'babies'. They are not !! They are Rabbits. I love them unconditionally and I would sell my soul for them, but if one more person states that as I am childless I 'must' see my Rabbits as 'the babies I never had' I think I will scream.............................

Just saying.......................

*mutter.......mutter........mutter.......*

Yep, I'm a bit fed up of that too. I also seem to get 'the look' that conveys they think I have so many rabbits because there is something missing in my life.... NOOO my rabbits ARE my life and I'm actually quite happy with that.

Yep, I'm a bit fed up of that too. I also seem to get 'the look' that conveys they think I have so many rabbits because there is something missing in my life.... NOOO my rabbits ARE my life and I'm actually quite happy with that.

Exactly !! I had to grit my teeth and false a smile just now. Drives my nuts (nuttier !!)

^^^^^
This exactly!! I like my life and love my family but hate it when The Question comes up...."So how many have you got now?" followed by the look between them. :roll:

Yeah, I saw a bloke on Supervet a couple of weeks ago 'justifying' why they were spending so much on their dog's surgery and it seemed like he felt the need to explain to everyone that because they didn't have children the dog was so important. ... no need to justify it Mr, if you love your dog it doesn't matter to anyone else if he's a substitute child, a dog or whatever .. none of their business whether they approve or not!

mine are :oops:

Not that I consider them actual babies and I certainly don't treat them as such, I treat them as rabbits because that is what is best for them. But my 'need' or 'want' for pets is triggered by my need to mother things.

Having children will not stop me wanting pets, I love my animals for who and what they are but I know that the mothering instinct is what drives me to have them.

I do understand that not everyone feels the same way, I do not assume that everyone with pets is using them as a child replacement. That view is too simplistic and pretty insulting. Animals are brilliant companions and everyone has different emotions and will make different decisions, the reasoning behind my decisions will not be the same as other people!

I think statements like that one show a lack of empathy... or at least thought!

Not that I consider them actual babies and I certainly don't treat them as such, I treat them as rabbits because that is what is best for them. But my 'need' or 'want' for pets is triggered by my need to mother things.

Having children will not stop me wanting pets, I love my animals for who and what they are but I know that the mothering instinct is what drives me to have them.

I do understand that not everyone feels the same way, I do not assume that everyone with pets is using them as a child replacement. That view is too simplistic and pretty insulting. Animals are brilliant companions and everyone has different emotions and will make different decisions, the reasoning behind my decisions will not be the same as other people!

Or brain-open mouth to speak co-ordination failure !! :lol:

Im sure not having children myself (and being too ancient now anyway:lol:)the thought has crossed peoples minds that know me.Fortunately nobody has ever mentioned it.Not sure id like it very much though:roll:

I agree. I do view Winston as a sort of surrogate child, but a rabbit child…if that makes any sense! I will treat him like a rabbit not a child but it is certainly my mothering instinct that drives me to want pets.

I agree. I do view Winston as a sort of surrogate child, but a rabbit child…if that makes any sense! I will treat him like a rabbit not a child but it is certainly my mothering instinct that drives me to want pets.

See I just cant understand that. Maybe it's just another thing that's weird about me !!

See I just cant understand that. Maybe it's just another thing that's weird about me !!

I guess everyone is different :) My half sister has 13 dogs and no mothering instinct what so ever! But she loves her dogs and looks after them fantastically :)

I've always had a strong mothering instinct and loved animals, so it's been natural to me to apply my instinct to the care of my pets.

I guess everyone is different :) My half sister has 13 dogs and no mothering instinct what so ever! But she loves her dogs and looks after them fantastically :)

I've always had a strong mothering instinct and loved animals, so it's been natural to me to apply my instinct to the care of my pets.

13 dogs :shock: She must need to take a wheelbarrow on their walks rather than a poop-a-scoop !! :lol:

I don't have children and am too old now for that to change, sadly. I think having pets and working in the care profession has given me an outlet for the frustrated 'mother' inside. I do understand that my furries aren't my children but I do refer to them as my fur babies. As long as the noms keep coming, I don't think any of my pets care what I call them.

I think most people know not to say something like that to me! I have no mothering instinct, I just love my pets. My pets arent a substitute for anything, being around animals makes me happy, being around children does not :lol:

I think most people know not to say something like that to me! I have no mothering instinct, I just love my pets. My pets arent a substitute for anything, being around animals makes me happy, being around children does not :lol:

I just find the entire concept of equating being a Mother to having Pets as totally bazaar !!

13 dogs :shock: She must need to take a wheelbarrow on their walks rather than a poop-a-scoop !! :lol:

Haha! I don't think it's very often that they all get walked at the same time :p But yes it is a completely manic house and just walking half the dogs is manic!

I don't have children and am too old now for that to change, sadly. I think having pets and working in the care profession has given me an outlet for the frustrated 'mother' inside. I do understand that my furries aren't my children but I do refer to them as my fur babies. As long as the noms keep coming, I don't think any of my pets care what I call them.

I'm in a similar situation, i'm not too old to have children but I can't have children naturally. I think having pets provides me with the ability to control having something to love/care for/mother, and helps me cope with the fact I am much less able to control whether or not I will have children….it's likely that will instead be decided by a panel of strangers. And yes as long as they get their yummy food and are cared for properly I don't think it really matters how their owners view them!

It drives me mad when the vets refer to me as my rabbits mum, ie they say to the bun I'll pass you back to your mum to hold you whilst I do this. I know there was a woman back in the 19th century I think who claimed to have given birth and suckled rabbits but it's not me!

It drives me mad when the vets refer to me as my rabbits mum, ie they say to the bun I'll pass you back to your mum to hold you whilst I do this. I know there was a woman back in the 19th century I think who claimed to have given birth and suckled rabbits but it's not me!

My Vet knows me too well to do that !! :lol:

It was Mary Toft who gave birth to Rabbits...................... or so she apparently wanted people to believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Toft

Surrogate husbands for me. Someone in the house when I would otherwise be alone and who make a mess and leave me not free to do as i like. Attractive in their way but not outgoing. Yes they are husbands. Four of them.

Back