• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hock -carpet - how can I make it better?

Bicky123

Young Bun
Hi all
My bun Onzi is a rex cross and his fur on his feet is fairly thin. He's living with his wifey in my spare room which has carpet and I noticed last night he has what appears to be a sore bit on one of his feet.

I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but for now I was wondering _ what can I put on the carpeted floor to help? I'll put plenty of straw in the places where I can but I can't for all of it.

Any solutions? :( thank you

Hi all
My bun Onzi is a rex cross and his fur on his feet is fairly thin. He's living with his wifey in my spare room which has carpet and I noticed last night he has what appears to be a sore bit on one of his feet.

I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but for now I was wondering _ what can I put on the carpeted floor to help? I'll put plenty of straw in the places where I can but I can't for all of it.

Any solutions? :( thank you

I have lino on my bun's floor at the moment and I use cotton rugs to cover it and prevent sore hocks. I have to watch for chews but mine tend to not chew these at all!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAIN-RAG...GHT-MULTI-COLOURS-STRAIGHT-EDGE-/151037930424
I noticed when my two were on carpet that it wore at Milo's fur on his hocks, so I not have lino and a big one of those rugs! They have never had problems with fur being rubbed away since! Obviously they also spend a lot of time in the litter tray with the hay!

When I had bunnies indoors, I ended up buying some picnic rugs from a local cheapo shop, which worked really well.

Foam matting, fleece, vetbed, duvet covers, bath mats, are all options. Anything where the toes can sink in and take pressure off the heel. The ideal thing is grass or thick layers of hay.

Thanks all!
I've been and bought a couple of large fleece blankets (don't even treat myself to these!) :) the hubby is picking up straw so I can fill the pen area. This is their set up - is there anything else? The blankets are one of top of the other. Cheers guys

fb01f950baa42e076b02b5aadec5e9d7.jpg

I have lino on my bun's floor at the moment and I use cotton rugs to cover it and prevent sore hocks. I have to watch for chews but mine tend to not chew these at all!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAIN-RAG...GHT-MULTI-COLOURS-STRAIGHT-EDGE-/151037930424
I noticed when my two were on carpet that it wore at Milo's fur on his hocks, so I not have lino and a big one of those rugs! They have never had problems with fur being rubbed away since! Obviously they also spend a lot of time in the litter tray with the hay!

Those little rugs look good ... I can't see a size on the Ebay page? I have some similar, but they are quite small. Maybe these are bigger?

Great :) thank you! Also, I'm not very good at trimming their claws - I cut one a little too short yesterday and it's put both me and bunny off! Is there any recommendations ie bunny burrito? And how long is too long for claws? I try to trim them often as all indoors :/ just not confident!

Great :) thank you! Also, I'm not very good at trimming their claws - I cut one a little too short yesterday and it's put both me and bunny off! Is there any recommendations ie bunny burrito? And how long is too long for claws? I try to trim them often as all indoors :/ just not confident!

When I trim claws I shine a small torch light the other side of the nail, so I can clearly see the quick. I started doing this many years ago, and since then haven't cut the quick. My vet did once though :shock:

Eek! Thanks. It also costs me 25 per pair of buns (I have four) my partner will be the torch bearer :) wish me luck.
Thanks

Back