• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur Follicles?

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
I feel like all I do is post!!! :lol:

Earlier when giving Neo a fuss, I felt a bit of hard food feeling stuff on each side of his face, thinking it was a matt or bit of hay, I sort of gently scratched/pulled on both, and out came two clumps of fur with hard ends where all of the fur was gathered into.

The hard bits at the ends were a yellow/orangey colour, a little like a scab colour. Is this just where some hair has been pulled?

Its just that when he moults I've only ever seen lots of individual fur attached to the carpet and over my clothes. Can someone tell me whether it's normal or not?

Ta!

Ahh Jane I could kiss you sometimes! You fountain of knowledge :)

Just worried me as this is the first time I'd ever seen a clump of hair come out!!

Second, slightly related question, Neo has a lump on the bridge of his nose, pretty much exactly the same size, shape and feel of the ones under his eyes. Are these normal too?

I also found a scab on his back, I think he's rushed in or out of his wooden hut too quickly and bashed it. Do I need to just keep an eye or should I apply some F10?

If the scab is dry and clean and the surrounding skin is not looking red/inflamed then I would just keep an eye on it. Can you make the opening in the hut a bit bigger/higher ?

As for a lump on the nose, depends on it's exact size and location. If it is more to the side than the middle it could be a whisker follicle. But without being able to see it or feel it myself I cant tell you for certain what it is.

Hmm, it's right in the middle of the bridge of the nose. Vet said it could just be a hard bit of skin, but to keep an eye on it. Guess I'll have to wait but its frustrating! It seems to be the same colour as his normal skin though!

Hmm, it's right in the middle of the bridge of the nose. Vet said it could just be a hard bit of skin, but to keep an eye on it. Guess I'll have to wait but its frustrating! It seems to be the same colour as his normal skin though!

Does he shove his nose through horizontal cage bars ?

I don't think he does it much anymore, but when he did, due to the spacing being very long, I don't think the top of his nose ever touched the bars!
Very odd, perhaps it's some sort of hard build up or something under the skin? Bizarre really!

Back