• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Betty's not well :(

lauralittleninja

Warren Scout
Can anyone give me some advice please. Betty has not been eating properly for a few days now. She is still eating but no where near as much as she normally does. She normally eats loads of hay and has minimal pellets . She also eats veg every morning. At first I suspected a case of gi statis so I took her to my vet on Tuesday who confirmed there was no blockage , no gas and her teeth were fine. She gave her an injection to increase appetite and also gave me some Zantac syrup to give betty twice a day to keep the stomach moving. Since Tuesday betty has not really improved . She is still nibbling food and still pooing but her poo is like small bits of grit rather than normal poos . She has also had a bit of water to drink too. I have noticed she keeps shaking her ears around so mayb the issue isn't her stomach after all but her ears?!? She is a house rabbit with a bonded friend and is normally happy and greedy!! I have booked her back in for the vet tomo evening but I'm confused at wot this could be ? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry to hear that Betty is not well. It could be ear pain that is stopping her from eating. I do hope the Vet prescribed pain relief as well as the other medication ? A Rabbit in pain, regardless of where from, will not eat.

Can you get her into the Vet tomorrow morning instead of in the evening, especially if she is not receiving regular doses of pain relief.

No the vet didn't prescribe pain relief either :( I will try and get an app first thing instead of evening but I'm limited because of my job and I don't have anyone else to take her . Thankyou for your advice

No the vet didn't prescribe pain relief either :( I will try and get an app first thing instead of evening but I'm limited because of my job and I don't have anyone else to take her . Thankyou for your advice

It is so disheartening to hear that some Vets still fail to realise the importance of pain relief for Rabbits. It is not your fault, the Vet is supposed to know. It really would be best if you could get her seen in the morning. Could you call work and say you may be a bit late and make up the time at the end of the day ? Or ask the Vets if you can have Betty admitted for the day so she can be examined and treated-ie you just drop her off rather than wait to have a full consultation then have to take her home again before rushing off to work.

I will phone in the morn and get down there when it opens. Unfortuantly I run my own business and if I don't turn up then my clients don't get seen to which would ultimately lose me my clients. I should be able to get down in the morning so il aim for that. She has eaten quite a good bit of hay tonight with some encouragement and she is hopping about . She keeps trying to eat wicker baskets and cardboard etc so mayb she has got a funny tummy. Poor thing. I will ask the vet for pain relief for her tomo and to examine her ears too. :)

1734f20304623c40c779d9b4a79402f8.jpg

She's having a good nibble now :) this is definitely a more positive outlook

I will phone in the morn and get down there when it opens. Unfortuantly I run my own business and if I don't turn up then my clients don't get seen to which would ultimately lose me my clients. I should be able to get down in the morning so il aim for that. She has eaten quite a good bit of hay tonight with some encouragement and she is hopping about . She keeps trying to eat wicker baskets and cardboard etc so mayb she has got a funny tummy. Poor thing. I will ask the vet for pain relief for her tomo and to examine her ears too. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your poorly rabbit! Glad she's eaten more hay this evening though, which is a good sign. You could try and get her weighed (or weigh her regularly yourself) to know for certain if she is losing weight through her lack of appetite.

You don't actually need to see the vet to ask for some pain relief (Metacam). If they have seen her recently then they can prescribe that if they think it's appropriate. As for the ears, it's not always possible to diagnose an ear infection by looking in the ear, but there again, they have to start somewhere if they suspect it may be that!

You could also ask the vet about the possibility of a blood profile. Kidney issues can affect a bunny's appetite, and these can have a number of causes .... It would at least be one thing to rule out, if the blood tests came back normal.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow :thumb:

1734f20304623c40c779d9b4a79402f8.jpg

She's having a good nibble now :) this is definitely a more positive outlook

Poor gorlie, her stance does appear to indicate abdominal discomfort. The craving fibre (as in eating cardboard etc) could point to a problem with her cecum. Cecal impaction is insidious in onset and in the early stages it can mimic signs of dental problems.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Lots of chewing and digging can also occur if a Rabbit has ear pain. So I do hope that the Vet can establish what is going on and provide appropriate treatment including pain relief

Sending lots more vibes for Betty xx

Sending vibes for little Betty. I hope you get to the bottom of what is causing her discomfort. xx

Hello everyone . Thanku for your messages . I took betty today to vets and saw someone different today. The vet gave her another injection to stimulate the gut and also some pain meds too. She checked Betty's teeth again and also her ears and said they were fine. She has suggested syringe feeding tonight and wants to see betty tomor morning . If she sees fit tomo then betty is going to be admitted to the hospital to stay on a drip [emoji31]I will also be taking her bonded friend Frank tomo so she has some company with her too if she has to stay in:( I'm so worried about her I wish she would perk up :(

Sorry to read that the lovely Betty isnt feeling well. I really hope that the vet can find (and sort) what is wrong.

Hello everyone . Thanku for your messages . I took betty today to vets and saw someone different today. The vet gave her another injection to stimulate the gut and also some pain meds too. She checked Betty's teeth again and also her ears and said they were fine. She has suggested syringe feeding tonight and wants to see betty tomor morning . If she sees fit tomo then betty is going to be admitted to the hospital to stay on a drip [emoji31]I will also be taking her bonded friend Frank tomo so she has some company with her too if she has to stay in:( I'm so worried about her I wish she would perk up :(

Poor Betty :cry: How is she this morning ?

Morning everyone . Sorry for the delay in replying. Betty went to the vets sat morn and the vet kept her in and put her on a drip to rehydrate her and also monitor her a lot more closely than I could do at home. I took Frank with me so she had her buddy with her [emoji175]. I spoke to the vet yesterday and he said betty was bright and passing normal poos and eating bits and bobs by herself but would still need to have a close eye on her . I was allowed to pick her up from vets last night and brought her home :)
She seemed a bit off colour last night still in my opinion but this morning she is scoffing her breakfast down like the normal betty so this is a good sign:) Iv also seen her eating hay too . I have meds to give her several times a day so I will keep a close eye on her but hopefully she's on the mend.
I'd like to add that just a month ago I considered cancelling my pet insurance and just putting the money aside every month .....I am sooooo glad I didn't as Betty's fees have been several hundred pounds this week .

Morning everyone . Sorry for the delay in replying. Betty went to the vets sat morn and the vet kept her in and put her on a drip to rehydrate her and also monitor her a lot more closely than I could do at home. I took Frank with me so she had her buddy with her [emoji175]. I spoke to the vet yesterday and he said betty was bright and passing normal poos and eating bits and bobs by herself but would still need to have a close eye on her . I was allowed to pick her up from vets last night and brought her home :)
She seemed a bit off colour last night still in my opinion but this morning she is scoffing her breakfast down like the normal betty so this is a good sign:) Iv also seen her eating hay too . I have meds to give her several times a day so I will keep a close eye on her but hopefully she's on the mend.
I'd like to add that just a month ago I considered cancelling my pet insurance and just putting the money aside every month .....I am sooooo glad I didn't as Betty's fees have been several hundred pounds this week .

So pleased to hear that Betty is on the mend. What a relief !!

Thank goodness you didn't cancel your Insurance :shock:

Yes the insurance was a god send really [emoji15][emoji4]
Every time betty sits down this morning I'm worried she's feeling poorly again ! I'm a over protective bunny mummy haha .

Back