• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I know if my rabbit is incontinent?

cara

Alpha Buck
I have 2 rabbits who have been excellent using their litter tray over the years.

One rabbit is elderly - about 13 years and the other ones age is unknown, but at least 5 plus, I guess.

Lately, more areas of their accommodation is being peed on. I have no idea which rabbit it is. I did suspect the elderly rabbit purely as she is elderly :roll:

Both rabbits are feeding and drinking as normal and do not have any scalding etc.

I really don't know if this is a health issue as such, or just rabbit/s (unusually for them), peeing all over.

Any advise very appreciated.

It may be that the 13 year old Rabbit has some age related arthritis meaning that he finds it uncomfortable to get into a litter tray. Can you use a drop sided tray ?

There are other possible causes for loss of litter training, so it is important to establish which Rabbit is having issues. A Vet check for both of them might be a good idea. If the elderly boy has arthritis he may require daily anti-inflammatory analgesia.

I have 2 rabbits who have been excellent using their litter tray over the years.

One rabbit is elderly - about 13 years and the other ones age is unknown, but at least 5 plus, I guess.

Lately, more areas of their accommodation is being peed on. I have no idea which rabbit it is. I did suspect the elderly rabbit purely as she is elderly :roll:

Both rabbits are feeding and drinking as normal and do not have any scalding etc.

I really don't know if this is a health issue as such, or just rabbit/s (unusually for them), peeing all over.

Any advise very appreciated.

It's difficult to establish who's doing the peeing .. of course it might be both! I had to bite the bullet once and separate my two in order to find out. I had expected it to be the little boy but it wasn't :shock:

Sometimes I find that if one has a bit of an issue and wee's in a different place, the other one follows suit (to be lazy sometimes) ...
First establish who it is - then you can find out if it's an old age problem, or an infection that needs treating. If you can't separate them to find out, then you'll have to take them both along to the vet ....

It's difficult to establish who's doing the peeing .. of course it might be both! I had to bite the bullet once and separate my two in order to find out. I had expected it to be the little boy but it wasn't :shock:

Sometimes I find that if one has a bit of an issue and wee's in a different place, the other one follows suit (to be lazy sometimes) ...
First establish who it is - then you can find out if it's an old age problem, or an infection that needs treating. If you can't separate them to find out, then you'll have to take them both along to the vet ....
Both of the prior posts have common issues I encountered in the past--arthritis and infection.
When my bunny had trouble hopping in and out of the litter tray, I could not find a low enough litter tray in stock locally. I temporarily cut down a couple sides of a cardboard box to use as a litter tray. Of course, I had to toss it out when it got soiled and make another one.

My Daisy became incontinent in the last stages of her life, due to her arthritis/spondylosis. When she began to find it difficult getting in and out of the tray, I changed it for one of those large green potting trays that you get from garden centres. Like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Tidy-Tray-Black-potting/dp/B009ERXHFU/ref=sr_1_1/279-7623209-6366649?ie=UTF8&qid=1427325350&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+potting+tray

Yes, my oldies have this exact same one. Very useful

Thank you for your replies. I have noticed that the older bunny (Rosie) is struggling a little with her back legs and have made a ramp to help into the litter tray. Having said that I have found her up on their (child's ) chair so she is willing and able still. Also, we have had an issue over her 'deformed' bunny lady bits, in the past! But I am still not convinced it is her. The other bunny pees every time her is put into the carrier for the vets and more or less every time he is picked up and put on a lap for inspection.

I cannot really separate them as we once had a nightmare of a time re-bonding them after separation.

If I took a sample of urine to the vets, do you think that might be useful? (The pair of them have been to the vets recently but for another issue - ear mites).

Thank you for your replies. I have noticed that the older bunny (Rosie) is struggling a little with her back legs and have made a ramp to help into the litter tray. Having said that I have found her up on their (child's ) chair so she is willing and able still. Also, we have had an issue over her 'deformed' bunny lady bits, in the past! But I am still not convinced it is her. The other bunny pees every time her is put into the carrier for the vets and more or less every time he is picked up and put on a lap for inspection.

I cannot really separate them as we once had a nightmare of a time re-bonding them after separation.

If I took a sample of urine to the vets, do you think that might be useful? (The pair of them have been to the vets recently but for another issue - ear mites).

Personally I would take both Rabbits to the Vet to be examined. The elderly one to see if any NSAIDs are needed for arthritis and a general 'OAB' check up. The Buck may have problems feeling if he has a full bladder or having problems fully emptying his bladder. Hence he always seems to wee when being handled. This can be the result of several issues and a 'hands on' examination by a Vet is really needed. The Vet may be able to express his bladder to obtain a sample if the Vet deems it to be necessary.

Good luck

Thanks Jack's-Jane. Sods Law, everything is dry today :shock:

Have always thought Teddy pees with fear when handled etc. Will further investigate.

Again, thanks everyone for replies :)

Thanks Jack's-Jane. Sods Law, everything is dry today :shock:

Have always thought Teddy pees with fear when handled etc. Will further investigate.

Again, thanks everyone for replies :)
Bunnies can also get stones or bladder sludge which can cause them to have problems passing urine, or keeping from passing it.

Back