• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay and afterwards- updated

Rdgib85

Young Bun
Hello

I had my rabbit spayed yesterday so it's coming up to 24hrs since the procedure as they called me at 1pm yesterday to say she was fine and coming round nicely.

She's only had a few nibbles on some apple yesterday. I haven't managed to get her to eat anything since maybe 7-8pm last night. She has had some slurps of water from a bowl.

I have offered kale, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, parsley and coriander as well as hay, nuggets and a treat bar she normally loves.

She's not moved from the corner of the crate. I gave her some metacam at 730am but she wasn't very willing so cnt be sure she got the whole dose.

She looks a lot more brighter today but I know the 24 hr mark after the spay is critical.

My friend had both hers done a couple of weeks ago and went through a horrendous time with them both, one being really poorly.

I'm just not too sure on when to act ie. Go back to the vets. They said they dnt need to see her back unless she doesn't eat etc as it will just stress her more.

Anyone had similar experience or offer any words of wisdom? Thanks

Last edited:
Hello

I had my rabbit spayed yesterday so it's coming up to 24hrs since the procedure as they called me at 1pm yesterday to say she was fine and coming round nicely.

She's only had a few nibbles on some apple yesterday. I haven't managed to get her to eat anything since maybe 7-8pm last night. She has had some slurps of water from a bowl.

I have offered kale, cucumber, carrot, broccoli, parsley and coriander as well as hay, nuggets and a treat bar she normally loves.

She's not moved from the corner of the crate. I gave her some metacam at 730am but she wasn't very willing so cnt be sure she got the whole dose.

She looks a lot more brighter today but I know the 24 hr mark after the spay is critical.

My friend had both hers done a couple of weeks ago and went through a horrendous time with them both, one being really poorly.

I'm just not too sure on when to act ie. Go back to the vets. They said they dnt need to see her back unless she doesn't eat etc as it will just stress her more.

Has she passed poo and wee overnight ?

Are you syringe feeding her ? This would be pretty essential if she has not eaten anything overnight at all. I think you need to call the Vet for advice. Your Doe may need additional medication (prokinetics) to kick start her GI tract. Post surgical ileus can be a problem and needs prompt intervention.

Good luck

Hello

I would give the vet a call and ask their advice. Check with them that they have prescribed the maximum dose of metacam for her. Ask them if you should syringe feed her or whether to bring her in. You don't want to get stuck with the out of hours emergency vet ...

I would give the vet a call and ask their advice. Check with them that they have prescribed the maximum dose of metacam for her. Ask them if you should syringe feed her or whether to bring her in. You don't want to get stuck with the out of hours emergency vet ...

I have called the vet now as i sat for ages with her trying to coax her to eat. She's sat hunched up grinding her teeth so know she's in pain. I asked vet if I could give her some more metacam and she said no. She hasn't passed any wee or poo I can see so taking her to the vets now.

just worried about hurting her getting her in the carrier as she is obvs in pain as it is

I have called the vet now as i sat for ages with her trying to coax her to eat. She's sat hunched up grinding her teeth so know she's in pain. I asked vet if I could give her some more metacam and she said no. She hasn't passed any wee or poo I can see so taking her to the vets now.

just worried about hurting her getting her in the carrier as she is obvs in pain as it is

You are doing the right thing in taking her back to the Vet. I hope she will be feeling a lot better soon xx

she needs more pain killer. One of ours was like this - some rabbits seem to feel it more than others.

Without pain relief she will not eat and then the situation will spiral and she will need all sorts of mediecines and syringe feeds etc to get the guts going again.

How can the vet refuse pain killer to a rabbit in pain?

We're back. They gave her 2 painkiller injections and one for her gut. They said she's very bruised but wound was fine. Within 30mins she scoffed down a plate of herbs and had lots of water and is now looking a lot more relaxed. Vet said if she's no better by 6pm they'll admit her. They've given me some critical care to give if required

We're back. They gave her 2 painkiller injections and one for her gut. They said she's very bruised but wound was fine. Within 30mins she scoffed down a plate of herbs and had lots of water and is now looking a lot more relaxed. Vet said if she's no better by 6pm they'll admit her. They've given me some critical care to give if required

Wow, a very good result! Thanks so much for posting the update :thumb:

Hopefully she will remain feeling much more comfortable now. If one of the pain killers was an opiate based one eg Vetergesic, she may become quite drowsy. This should wear off after about 6 hours. Just thought I'd mention it incase the Vet didn't .

Hopefully she will remain feeling much more comfortable now. If one of the pain killers was an opiate based one eg Vetergesic, she may become quite drowsy. This should wear off after about 6 hours. Just thought I'd mention it incase the Vet didn't .

Yes vet did mention the drowsiness. I suspect that's kicked in as she's back to being subdued. She did eat before then so im hoping she'll be ok now. Will see how she is later this evening.

Yes vet did mention the drowsiness. I suspect that's kicked in as she's back to being subdued. She did eat before then so im hoping she'll be ok now. Will see how she is later this evening.

I never let the vet give my rabbits Vetergesic. On a couple of occasions I found it so hard to get them going and eating again afterwards ....
Hopefully your little one will come round a lot quicker :D

I never let the vet give my rabbits Vetergesic. On a couple of occasions I found it so hard to get them going and eating again afterwards ....
Hopefully your little one will come round a lot quicker :D

She's still grinding her teeth. I feel so awful. I really don't know what to do for the best. She gets stressed going to the vets. I feel like I'll lose her if she does but she's still not comfortable I don't think

She's still grinding her teeth. I feel so awful. I really don't know what to do for the best. She gets stressed going to the vets. I feel like I'll lose her if she does but she's still not comfortable I don't think

Has she passed any poo in the last few hours ? Is she showing any interest in food ? Can you provide her with something warm to lie across. A soft towel that has been warmed on a radiator for example. Whilst Vetergesic does have significant sedating effects it is sometimes an essential to get pain under control. If it is given at the same time as Metoclopramide (the prokinetic) the sedating effect can be even greater as the two drugs can interact.

You've done everything you can do, and you've done your best!

Give her a few more hours to 'get herself' back together again. Have you tried offering her treat foods, fresh herbs? A bit of freshly picked grass .. a small piece of toast .. Anything that will get her interest going again.

I take it she is indoors with you at the moment and not outside? At least she DID eat something today, which is very good x

Has she passed any poo in the last few hours ? Is she showing any interest in food ? Can you provide her with something warm to lie across. A soft towel that has been warmed on a radiator for example. Whilst Vetergesic does have significant sedating effeshects it is sometimes an essential to get pain under control. If it is given at the same time as Metoclopramide (the prokinetic) the sedating effect can be even greater as the two drugs can interact.

She has a heat pad in her cage and lots of warm blankets. She hasn't pooped at all but has pee'd. She had interest in only herbs after the injections but now is very subdued again and making a noise which I believe is her grinding her teeth.

You've done everything you can do, and you've done your best!

Give her a few more hours to 'get herself' back together again. Have you tried offering her treat foods, fresh herbs? A bit of freshly picked grass .. a small piece of toast .. Anything that will get her interest going again.

I take it she is indoors with you at the moment and not outside? At least she DID eat something today, which is very good x

I went tesco and got her the fresh herbs earlier. She only showed interest in them when she had just had those injections. Now not interested.

I went tesco and got her the fresh herbs earlier. She only showed interest in them when she had just had those injections. Now not interested.

I would make sure you syringe her some water, just to make sure she's hydrated.

If she continues not eating on her own by the end of the evening, I would syringe her some pureed baby food (Ella's Kitchen is good)

I would make sure you syringe her some water, just to make sure she's hydrated.

If she continues not eating on her own by the end of the evening, I would syringe her some pureed baby food (Ella's Kitchen is good)

She's not one for syringing and has been drinking water if i stick dish right under her nose. He just ate one bite of parsley but then went back to sulk. I cnt work out if the noise she is making is her teeth or her belly...it sounds like a purring but also belly grumble like when hungry???? Getting really worried

i am so sorry to hear about your bunny. how old is she. i really hope she turns a corner really soon.

Back