• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Composting used rabbit litter?

ImoT

Mama Doe
My OH and myself are about to get a compost bin for our garden and were wondering if used rabbit litter can go on it? We've found info saying their poo can but there's no way i'm spending goodness knows how many hours fishing Winston's poo out of the litter! Does anyone know if the actual litter can be composted as well? We use P@H woodpellets as litter if that helps.

I can't help, but would be interested in what you can, I want to start composting as well. My only worry is last time I had a composter we had rats :(

Yes, wood or paper based litter, hay, shredded boxes and rabbit poop can all be composted :) You probably want some 'greens' to go along with it eg grass clippings, non rabbit edible veggies etc.

Might be worth investigating rats & composting for tips, I would imagine you could mesh underneath and then use a thick walled one with a well fitted lid to deter them.

Yes it can I give all my rabbit poop to a friend who has an allotment :D and I get veggies in payment :lol:

It's classed as cold manure I think doesn't need to compost it can be used straight away :) or composted :thumb:

My sisters bunnies poop in a corner of their run so it hasn't got much uneaten hay mixed in its practically just poop and he put it in the bottom of his trench and planted his beans straight on top :thumb:

Last edited:
Yep :)

One thing that attracts rats is cooked food, so avoid putting that in your compost bin if you're worried....athought to be honest there are rats galore anyway so they're probably about whether you see them or not!

Good luck with your composting :)

My OH and myself are about to get a compost bin for our garden and were wondering if used rabbit litter can go on it? We've found info saying their poo can but there's no way i'm spending goodness knows how many hours fishing Winston's poo out of the litter! Does anyone know if the actual litter can be composted as well? We use P@H woodpellets as litter if that helps.

I put the whole contents of the litter tray in the compost heap ... Hay, straw and paper as well as poos etc ..... I add garden grass and clippings and all raw veggie food waste. Brilliant :thumb:

Yes, you can compost certain kinds of litter. The litter I use is paper-based and we compost it all the time! :thumb:

We used to compost the whole hutch contents: newspaper, woodshavings, hay, poo... Dad did have two massive 4'x4' open-topped bins on rotation though. When we finally get our (relatively) little black compost bin up and running, I'll definitely be putting the newspaper, paper litter, poo, hay and other stuff in there!You need to watch the composition of your compost though: have a google for it and you can see what sorts of things you should be including if your 'starchy' contents get too high.

I thought about doing this, as we can no longer put vegetarian animal waste in the green bin. It all looks too much like hard work though, and we have no need for compost. We're just having to take it to the tip. :(

I literally have one big pile for just rabbit compost, round the back of my garden out of sight... I dont use the compost bin for it as I literally would have filled it after a couple of months!! The compost bin I have is just for food and garden waste. We also chuck chicken poop on it and into the compost bin too, as that stuff smells we try to spread it a bit so it doesnt get too bad! lol xx

Luckily for me a local gardener collects all my rabbit and guinea compost every week. He also gets bales of straw for me and may have found a local place where he can get hay. Wonderful.

Would love to compost our buns litter but I think the compost heap would rapidly full up the whole garden[emoji2] . We takes ours to the tip in black bags and throw them into household waste.
I might enquire at our local garden centre to see if they want it..but they have donkeys already so may not need it.

If anyone has allotments near them it would be worth asking them if they would like it. (Well the people on the allotments)!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I know we can put various bits of food on the compost heap, but I will look into the issue with rats, definitely don't want lots of those around :/ I'm so glad we can make use of the litter though as it feels so wasteful putting it in the bin!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I know we can put various bits of food on the compost heap, but I will look into the issue with rats, definitely don't want lots of those around :/ I'm so glad we can make use of the litter though as it feels so wasteful putting it in the bin!

The only foods you can put in an ordinary composter are fruit and veg (raw and cut up) Have a look at a composting site - tells you all about brown and green compost material and the balance between the two. I don't think raw veg attracts rats - but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (There is a hot composter which takes cooked stuff).

The only foods you can put in an ordinary composter are fruit and veg (raw and cut up) Have a look at a composting site - tells you all about brown and green compost material and the balance between the two. I don't think raw veg attracts rats - but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (There is a hot composter which takes cooked stuff).

I didn't think that a normal composter took cooked food. I just thought you could put things like fruit and veg peelings on it (ones that rabbits can't have!)

Our compost bin would mainly consist of rabbit litter and garden waste!

I didn't think that a normal composter took cooked food. I just thought you could put things like fruit and veg peelings on it (ones that rabbits can't have!)

Our compost bin would mainly consist of rabbit litter and garden waste!

It would be well worth looking at compost sites, as I said, because it is important to get the balance right. I didn't realise that and put too much hay in mine, which all got clogged together. I have two of those large plastic ones with a 'hatch' at the bottom. I really don't like them as it is almost impossible to turn the contents, which is important if stuff is to compost down. I am hoping to have a wooden one built for me.

Back