• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's going on!?

Hi I'm new to this forum, in fact I made my account about 2 minutes ago just so I could ask this question lol!

Ok, so I've just got back from the vets with my male rabbit... it was an interesting visit:

The vet took him in the back room to check if his testicles have dropped, but she ended up calling in 2 other vets, so there were 3 vets in the back just to check that info! I was trying to listen through the door thinking there must be something wrong.. Eventually after 5 minutes(!), the vet brings him back out to tell me HE is in fact a SHE, and they'd bet money that she's heavily pregnant!!

But here's where it gets even more odd...
She hasn't been in with any other rabbits for 54 days! Can someone clarify if it's even possible for pregnancy to last that long in rabbits?!
They said it's a mystery and they were still discussing it when I was leaving 20 minutes later. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is it even possible? Lol. So weird! :shock:

If you are 100% certain that she has not been anywhere near an entire Buck for 54 days, not even for a nano second and she has been with you all that time (ie you are not relying on someone else telling you she has not been near an entire Buck) then it is very unlikely that she is pregnant. Even if she had a double pregnancy (Rabbits have two uterine horns) this would have to be the second litter and therefore you'd know she was a she as she would already have dropped the first litter !

Yeah I'm 10000% sure, she's the only rabbit I have and the only trips out she's had in that time are twice to the vets which didn't include meeting other rabbits lol. It's so weird!

then I'd be suspicious of your vets... they might need a bit more training... unless its an immaculate conception...

then I'd be suspicious of your vets... they might need a bit more training... unless its an immaculate conception...

:shock: Yeah it all seems a bit strange! One of the vets gave me some worming medication in case it's anything to do with that, but he seemed pretty sure that she's heavily pregnant.. Hmmm. :?

:D Rather strange ... Could you persuade the vet to do an ultrasound on her for free? Just to satisfy their own curiosity, you understand!

:shock: Yeah it all seems a bit strange! One of the vets gave me some worming medication in case it's anything to do with that, but he seemed pretty sure that she's heavily pregnant.. Hmmm. :?

I must admit I would not have a huge amount of confidence in a Vet who was unsure if he/she was palpating a uterus full of foetuses or the effects of a GI tract full of parasitic worms :?

Back