• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stray rabbit advice. UD back with his family

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
We picked up a stray today that was wandering round a garage. I fixing car one not a petrol station. It has oil down its back which I need to remove. I think I will need to use fairy liquid but its working out how to do it without soaking the boy to rinse it off?

Anyone had to deal with anything similar?

Last edited:
We picked up a stray today that was wandering round a garage. I fixing car one not a petrol station. It has oil down its back which I need to remove. I think I will need to use fairy liquid but its working out how to do it without soaking the boy to rinse it off?

Can you clip off as much soiled fur as possible first ? Not only will this make washing easier it'll make getting him dry easier too. Unfortunately I dont think there is much option other than to get him quite wet. Has he ingested oil ? Might be a good idea to get some bloods done at some stage. Poor Bun, hope he'll be OK xx

Thank you. I wondered about cutting it out and I am concerned he has tried to clean himself. Although I've not seen him near it in the few hours he has been here. Its hard to know what to do for the best when he is not ours.

Difficult one: I would gently trim all the affected fur, and then I think there's not much alternative than to wash ...
I personally wouldn't use fairy liquid as rabbit's skin is very delicate and those things (though it doesn't seem like it) contain harsh ingredients.

Probably a bunny safe shampoo is safest. Organic and very gentle ... if possible.

Good luck xx

Thank you. I wondered about cutting it out and I am concerned he has tried to clean himself. Although I've not seen him near it in the few hours he has been here. Its hard to know what to do for the best when he is not ours.

I think I'd maybe give the Vet a call so that anything you do do is under 'Professional Guidance' so to speak. Then if the owners come forward you are covered should they, the owners, take exception to anything. Though why anyone would when you are trying to help the Rabbit I dont know. But people can be strange at times !!

The vet advised fairy liquid. They use it on cats at the surgery and double checked it was safe to use :)

Ah good :thumb:

I was going by what I was told by a vet a few years ago when we found a stray wandering about the Rescue Centre (covered in God knows what) and weren't sure what to do!

I would never have used something like fairy liquid without checking with a vet, even on my own rabbits. It was more wondering about the technique to use to prevent him getting soaked because of it being right in the middle of his back. Especially if his owner is going to turn up and put him straight back out in a hutch.

Anyway looking more closely the oil only went half way down his fur and wasnt near his skin so I opted for a pair of scissors. Just hope if his owner does turn up they are understanding. Much quicker and safer than washing the poor boy :)

The poor little lad is rampant as one of my cats just found out! Is it wrong to half not want his owners to come forward so I can whip his plums off?

The poor little lad is rampant as one of my cats just found out! Is it wrong to half not want his owners to come forward so I can whip his plums off?

Haha, not wrong at all :D

I wonder if he's been chipped? Having said that, none of mine are ..... But they don't know where the front doors keys are (or so I think ...)

We will check for a chip if no-one has contacted us by friday. Got 6 going to the vets tomorrow already and thursday is far to busy.

I don;t think this boy new where the keys were either. Looks like a case of the great escape given the amount of mud in his claws!

I hope the washing went well. :) I had a black cat who twice jumped into a bucket that my OH had just drained all the used motor oil from his car into...once when it was in the trash can. :roll: That poor thing, she had to have a huge bath and then within a week had lost all her fur on her belly each time. :( He used Dawn dishsoap on her as it's the one that's used during oil spills for wildlife rescue.

Had to kind of giggle at the randiness. :roll: Your poor cat! :shock:
He's in good hands with you, Liz, regardless of where the owners are. :thumb: :D

We have found his owners. So he will be returning to his single,hormone filled life, as a free range garden bunny.

I have mentioned castration and given her the name and price of the best vet in town. I have also said that she knows where we are if she ever needs help or advice.

We are dropping him off at 1pm when she finishes work.

Don't think there is much more we can do :(

Rolo is back home now. Steve said after we left - we have rescued from situations like this :(

Good luck little bunny xx

Back