• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please. Scared / Frightened or illness / injury

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Hi,

Our rabbit biscuit went a bit mad last night in his cage and again this morning to the point of running up and down the stairs at full speed and running into walls etc.
He still is really jumpy and is even freaks out a bit when being touched. Any ideas what it could be?

We think it was a cockerel crowing at 3am which started him off, but it may have just been a coincidence.

Last edited:
It could be due to the fact that rabbits are sprinters and like to "go fast" at times. Obviously not a good idea if he is in a small cage.

If a cockeral crowed at 3am it may have been a warning of something else around - a fox most likely. And that may have freaked him.

It could be due to the fact that rabbits are sprinters and like to "go fast" at times. Obviously not a good idea if he is in a small cage.

Definitely not that, he was scared out of his skull. He does not like to run but not to the extent of nearly killing himself.
He does have a large indoor run.
May have been a fox but he is in doors, would a fox freak out an indoor rabbit

Will see how he is in a bit.

My indoor rabbits would freak out if there was a fox (or a cat, even) in the garden as they could still hear it. I hope your little boy will be ok xxx

Definitely not that, he was scared out of his skull. He does not like to run but not to the extent of nearly killing himself.
He does have a large indoor run.
May have been a fox but he is in doors, would a fox freak out an indoor rabbit

Will see how he is in a bit.

I have experienced this with one of my rabbits. To begin with we thought he had been spooked by something, but his reaction was over the top to normal for him. It actually went on for about three days. He was running around like a scared mad thing and banging into everything. It started about three weeks after he was taking Panacur for the parasite E.C. and the vet thought that the two things were related ...

Not sure if that helps you, but I do understand.

If he doesn't have one already, might help to provide him with some boxes he can hide in when frightened.

I have experienced this with one of my rabbits. To begin with we thought he had been spooked by something, but his reaction was over the top to normal for him. It actually went on for about three days. He was running around like a scared mad thing and banging into everything. It started about three weeks after he was taking Panacur for the parasite E.C. and the vet thought that the two things were related ...

Not sure if that helps you, but I do understand.

The Panacur part his interesting, he is on his second dose for pinworm at the moment (He did 9 days, 10 days off and now doing another 9 days).
He is fine now so will see how it goes, he is fine now though?

The Panacur part his interesting, he is on his second dose for pinworm at the moment (He did 9 days, 10 days off and now doing another 9 days).
He is fine now so will see how it goes, he is fine now though?

Yes it's a matter of speculation how the Panacur causes this reaction, but I'm so glad he's fine now. I have to say, after this episode for my bun, he's been fine and never looked back. I just hope he doesn't have to go back on Panacur :shock:

Back