• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bojangles Neuter

Zam

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

My male bunny Bojangles is going for his neuter tomorrow!

I know it's a common operation and I have a really good rabbit Vet but I can't help but worry. Bojangles has a tendency towards gut stasis when stressed and also didn't do well tummy wise when on antibiotics a few months ago.

Does anyone have any aftercare advice etc?
Is it best to move him inside for a few days or get him back in his usual outdoor environment asap?

The Vet seeing him knows his history and we have waited until he is 6 months to neuter him so hopefully he's in the best possible place.

I lost his brother recently to gut stasis following a Cylap vaccine so I think I'm especially nervous for him. I know this is different but I'm worried for him :(

Any advice, info, luck gratefully received,

Thanks Everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think we all worry when our Rabbits have to have a GA. But as you say it is a relatively minor procedure and your Vet is well aware of Bojangles' history. So I am sure all relevant care will be taken to make sure all risks are minimal.

He will need to be kept indoors for at least 24 hours after the GA. A GA can interfere with a Rabbit's ability to regulate their body temperature. He does not need to be in a very hot room, just not exposed to the outdoor overnight temperatures.

He should be nibbling at a bit of food, pooing and weeing before being discharged home. An anti-inflammatory analgesic should be given and he may require further doses over the next few days. Pain is a trigger for gut stasis, so I would emphasise the need for good pain relief for BJ if the Vet does not prescribe more than the dose he/she gives today.

There may be some swelling and a bit of bruising of the scrotum, but this should be minimal. A large swelling or severe bruising would require a further examination by a Vet. But this scenario is unusual and most Bucks recover very quickly.

Having some foods to tempt him to eat is a good idea. Fresh herbs are often very popular.My Rabbits all favour coriander. All in all he will probably be subdued and eating a bit less than normal for 24-36 hours after the op'. But he should be almost back to normal after that.

I would ask the Vet to have a good check of BJ's teeth whilst he is under GA. Recurrent episodes of gut stasis can be linked to Dental problems. It is impossible to obtain a full view of a Rabbit's oral cavity whilst the Rabbit is awake. So today would be an ideal opportunity to check that all is well in BJ's mouth

Good luck and please let us know how he gets on

I am very sorry that you lost BJ's Brother :cry:

I'm so sorry you lost his brother :cry: I can't add to the excellent advice given by Jane, but I'm sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thanks so much Jack's - Jane and Zoobec for your vibes and advice, really appreciated :)

I have an indoor cage ready for him, and a snuggle safe and lots of herbs etc. so hopefully I can keep him comfy. Thanks for the info on pain relief too.

I bonded him with a spayed female about 10 weeks ago after I lost his brother. I've had mixed advice as to how long they should be apart after his Op. They are in together all the time at the moment as she is spayed and she's been coping well with him chasing her occasionally, bless her she's an angel. Should she be with him straight after the Op to keep the bond or is that too risky?

Thanks so much, I'm in NZ by the way so his Op is on Weds am it's Tues PM here so I will of course let you know how he gets on.

Thank-you!! Xx

Personally I would put them straight back together, he will be comforted by her presence and so aid his recovery.

My Louie bounced straight back after his neuter. I just kept an eye on his wound for a few days to make sure he wasn't messing with it but he was fine.

Good luck xxx

Thanks so much Jack's - Jane and Zoobec for your vibes and advice, really appreciated :)

I have an indoor cage ready for him, and a snuggle safe and lots of herbs etc. so hopefully I can keep him comfy. Thanks for the info on pain relief too.

I bonded him with a spayed female about 10 weeks ago after I lost his brother. I've had mixed advice as to how long they should be apart after his Op. They are in together all the time at the moment as she is spayed and she's been coping well with him chasing her occasionally, bless her she's an angel. Should she be with him straight after the Op to keep the bond or is that too risky?

Thanks so much, I'm in NZ by the way so his Op is on Weds am it's Tues PM here so I will of course let you know how he gets on.

Thank-you!! Xx

I usually keep my bonded pairs together if at all possible. Thus far (18 years) I have never had a problem with doing so. But obviously if BJ seems to be uncomfortable and his companion pesters him and/or if there is any disharmony in their relationship you may need to keep them apart for 24-48 hours. Keep them next to each other though.

I am so confused as to what day it is here now !! :lol:

Thank-you!! Xx

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit recently, that's hard.

Personally I keep bonded pairs together, so rather than separate him after the op I would be inclined to put them straight back together unless your vet thinks there is some reason they should be apart. If he is to be kept indoors (I don't know what the temperatures are like with you!) then she should stay with him.

Bunnies often like to nibble on tasty delicacies when they are being spoilt, and mine particularly like fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander and dill :) He may not need any pain relief, and bucks often bounce back after their neuter, but your vet might like to prescribe some just in case.

To alleviate and even stop any swelling happening, I give homeopathic Arnica. I usually give this before and after the op, but especially if you notice any swelling in the scrotum area. If you need any more advice on administering this please PM me.

Other than that, good luck and I'm sure in the hands of a capable vet he will be more than fine :thumb:

Thanks Lili, thanks Jacks-Jane, I'm just about to take them in to the Vet now so I'll keep you updated. Fingers crossed!

Xx

Thanks so much Mighty Max, could recommend anywhere to get Arnica, is a health food shop likely to have it?

Thank you!

Thanks so much Mighty Max, could recommend anywhere to get Arnica, is a health food shop likely to have it?

Thank you!

Yes a health food shop should DEFINITELY have Arnica, as should Boots the Chemist :thumb:

Hi Everyone,

Bojangles is home from his Op and is doing great :) He's just eaten a little bit and is washing himself so so far so good, phew. I will be sure to keep an eye on them overnight and hopefully he'll continue to recover.
Thanks so much for the advice and support everyone :) x

Hi Everyone,

Bojangles is home from his Op and is doing great :) He's just eaten a little bit and is washing himself so so far so good, phew. I will be sure to keep an eye on them overnight and hopefully he'll continue to recover.

You're very welcome. It's what we're here for :thumb:

Hi Everyone,

Well done Mr Bojangles :D

bojangles is a great name glad he's doing well! You just need to stop him jumping on things for a couple of days it was a nightmare trying to stop our bo from being too boystress

Our boy is called Bo, he was called Millie Bojangles until his neuter when they realized he was a boy, he's now called Bo/Boey/Bofassa/Fassy/Fassy Bo Baggins/Boseph/Bozo or any other variation that comes into our heads...

bojangles is a great name glad he's doing well! You just need to stop him jumping on things for a couple of days it was a nightmare trying to stop our bo from being too boystress

Our boy is called Bo, he was called Millie Bojangles until his neuter when they realized he was a boy, he's now called Bo/Boey/Bofassa/Fassy/Fassy Bo Baggins/Boseph/Bozo or any other variation that comes into our heads...

Love the nicknames and what a shock to find out 'she' was a 'he' :) My Bojangles often gets called Boj or Bodger or recently Spud (no correlation) but as you say many variations on a theme. I could swear the vet nurse laughed yesterday when I took them both in and said their names. My girl bunny is called Clarabelle, she is a rescue so she came to us with her name and despite me not liking it originally it has stuck. I do get lots of comments on their names, both quite unusual for bunnies :)

Back