• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed re bunny care at very short notice - Birmingham

Rabcat

Mama Doe
Hello

I have 7 bunnies and I live in Birmingham. Last Monday I had to go to London at very short notice as my mum was taken into hospital and I was told that they would not resuscitate her if she collapsed.

My OH took me to the hospital in London to see her then returned home to our house in Birmingham and then cared for the bunnies until I returned yesterday. Mum is home but still unwell.

Anyway, he has told me tonight that next time I have a call like that about mum that he will not look after the buns.

Can anyone please suggest what I can do or where I can go for help when this happens again. My mum is very elderly so it will happen. I don't want to give them up but I dont know what to do as I couldn't leave them knowing that they will not be looked after.

I also couldn't stay away from my mum if she becomes that unwell again.

I have no family or friends here - just work aquaintences.

I was supposed to go back to see mum over Easter but that will not happen now.

I feel sick with worry and just can think straight which is why ai am asking for some ideas xxxx

I wouldn't be posting such personal information on this forum if I wasn't desperate for ideas so your help will be really appreciated! Xx

Last edited:
Rabcat, hopefully an RU member who lives near you will post a reply and be able to help you and your bunnies. If I was closer I would help, but too far especially when you might need the help at very short notice.

OH doesn't seem to be very understanding.....well in my opinion anyway.

If not an RU member, perhaps a nurse from your local veterinary surgery may be able to help. Try not to worry yourself, as there will be a solution, it's just that you cannot see one at the moment.

Sorry to hear that you mum is so ill.

Take care. x

I have booked my buns into Ash End Farm, nr Tamworth when we go away next week as it is local to our bit of the Midlands. I also occasionally get leaflets through the door advertising pet sitting services which will visit people's houses to look after their pets. Not sure if this is something worth looking into? If you could find someone local like that then you could perhaps explain your situation to them to see if they may be able to step in at short notice? Good luck. Xx

Rabcat, hopefully an RU member who lives near you will post a reply and be able to help you and your bunnies. If I was closer I would help, but too far especially when you might need the help at very short notice.

OH doesn't seem to be very understanding.....well in my opinion anyway.

If not an RU member, perhaps a nurse from your local veterinary surgery may be able to help. Try not to worry yourself, as there will be a solution, it's just that you cannot see one at the moment.

Sorry to hear that you mum is so ill.

Take care. x

Hello Mrs B :wave:

I have been a member on here for around 2 years now but tend to post on threads rather than ask for help.

My OH is difficult and has now put me in a very difficult position.

I wouldn't have dreamed of posting this on here as a rule as I am a very private person but I care so much about my buns and can't think what to do!

I have booked my buns into Ash End Farm, nr Tamworth when we go away next week as it is local to our bit of the Midlands. I also occasionally get leaflets through the door advertising pet sitting services which will visit people's houses to look after their pets. Not sure if this is something worth looking into? If you could find someone local like that then you could perhaps explain your situation to them to see if they may be able to step in at short notice? Good luck. Xx

Thank you :wave:

I live near the airport and there doesn't seem to be any bunny boarding locally. X

Rabcat, I am sure that a solution to your dilemma will pop up very soon. And of course you care about your bunnies......we all care about our bunnies. With your mum being unwell, worrying about the bunnies, and your OH not being particularly helpful......I would be worried too. x

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, and the fact you're not getting the support I think you should be getting :shock:

I am in London, but that doesn't help you unless you drive down and can bring bunnies ....

Whereabouts in London is your Mum in hospital?

I'm so sorry you are having all this stress right now xx

I would get some pet sitters on standby and yes maybe a local vet nurse too. I think I would also have a word with my other half about what is involved in being in a supportive relationship and living with someone

Last edited:
Hi everyone :wave:

Thank you very much for your really helpful suggestions. I am going to make some calls to see what I can find out and whether they are options for very short notice.

Xx

Hi everyone :wave:

Thank you very much for your really helpful suggestions. I am going to make some calls to see what I can find out and whether they are options for very short notice.

Xx

Best of luck. Worse case scenario, a pet sitter and if any advice, support were needed whilst you were away, they could log on to RU for some help.

Good luck. If you can get that sorted, it will be one less worry. I'm just sorry you're not getting the support you really need at the moment.

Back