• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandelion had major dental surgery (no gory pics!)

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Dandelion has been having toothy problems since November. After 5 years of managing to keep his teeth reasonably good, the spurs suddenly went mad! He had a dental in November, where a cracked tooth was found. Since then his teeth have all been growing wonkier and wonkier :( Last Monday he went in to have his spurs done again, but by this time his teeth were all growing sideways, and the only option was to remove as many as possible. He now has two back teeth (they couldn't be easily removed at the time, and will have to be done at a future date) and his incisors (which will need regular burring now as one is curling outwards).

It was a major operation for a wee bunny, and because the teeth were so wonky the holes in the gums are bigger than usual. His gums are still healing, so he's living on syringe feeds at the moment, although he's having a go at soft leaves and porridge oats :)

Here are some pics of my brave wee boy :)

I got given a pot with his teeth in, but I won't show the pic of those :)

The first few feeds after the op were a bit messy

Cuddles off Nanny Pat

The vet nurses say he's the easiest bunny they ever had for syringe feeding - here he is looking a bit cleaner!

I know the nails need doing, but he's had so much done lately that we're just doing a couple of nails a day.

He looks for food almost every time I go down to see him now - he gets a syringe of porridge first and then one of fruit puree for pudding

Having a groom with Clover

Aww He's looking well considering it was such a big op for him. :love: Love the nanny Pat pics. I always think of her when any of my buns need tummy rubs :D

How very sweet - what lovely photos.

Poor wee man. He seems to be doing really well ... Lots of love to you both, and Clover of course xx

Cute. I remember when I was first on here you used to post so many pics of your 4 boys back then - they were among the first I came to know. I've missed seeing pictures of them.

Awww... Look at him having cuddles! What a precious boy!

Love the fact that, even after all that nasty surgery, he's still begging for food.

:love::love:

Thank you all :love:

This morning he didn't want his porridge from the syringe, he wanted to lick it up from the plate by himself :D

One of the vets showed me photos of his mouth during the op - the teeth were starting to grow straight across his mouth :( Sounds like he had quite an audience - several vets there, and even the receptionist had a look!

Poor Dandelion what an ordeal. Great to hear he is on the mend. You don't realise how problematic teeth can be. Georgia our foster bunny came home with a small bag of teeth from a routine dental a few weeks ago. Two were huge.

Awwww, bless him. :love: So glad to hear that he is getting better. It makes a big difference when your bunny accepts syringe feeding doesn't it.

I remember the pain my Humbug went through with his dental problems. Bunnies can be such litter fighters. :thumb:

I havn't noticed any updates posted on the forum but to let everyone know sadly dandelion had to be helped to the bridge today , binky free beautiful :cry: xxx

[emoji27] [emoji27] [emoji27] ..that is such awful news. I am so very sorry. He was a little darling.

Binky free sweetheart.

Back