• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rescue bunny

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Hi

I have just got my female bunny a friend from a rescue centre. I think he has mainly been on a diet of pellets, as I can see he eats very little hay if at all. He will eat veg but not a lot. My other bun is a good hay eater and loves her veg too. I cant make him eat hay but its better for teeth etc so not sure what to do, it could be a problem. Any advice appreciated.

Pandora

You could try different hays, some prefer different kinds, you could try readigrass, all my bunnies have loved that, if he likes it you can mix it with his hay to try to get him to eat it. You could sprinkle the pellets into the hay to try to trick him into eating it. Another trick is to spray the hay with a little apple juice.

He really does need to be eating hay to avoid dental problems. I would get a rabbit savvy vet to check his teeth to see if he needs a dental. If he is eating too many pellets, he won't eat hay, a bit like children when they eat sweets they don't want to eat proper food afterwards!

Thanks Zoobec I do have readigrass which I sprinkle in the hay, but I could try the pellet trick in the hay as well. I will be taking him for a checkup to my own vets soon.

Pandora

He has started eating a little hay. Not tried grass yet, will try today. Only had him 2 days so still settling in.

thanks for replying.

Pandora

Ralph wouldn't touch hay either (also a rescue bun presumably fed on pellets only as teeth were badly overgrown!) until I tried him on Ings hay from Hay for pets, its the only hay he will touch.

I have also asked for a sample from timothyhay.co.uk too as everyone raves how good it is and obviously it will be better for Ralphs teeth with it being somewhat coarser (needs a dental every 6 weeks due to neglect now). If you go to timothyhay website of fb page and ask for a sample I think you get a jiffy bag of hay for free through the post (hopefully get mine tomorrow). Hay for pets you can get samples of all 3 of their hays but you have to pay £4.50 (inc.postage), hope this helps, as I was also at my wits end trying every single type of hay there was lol x

Thanks all for suggestions. He is eating a little hay and readigrass now and he loves grass, so good improvement.

Pandora

Back