• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you feed?

magically

Warren Scout
Once daily? Twice daily? More? Separate things each time? A bit of everything each time?
Just interested to know what you found to work best for your bunnies. :D
Of course, this doesn't include checking on them/interacting with them, just feeding.

They tend to get a breakfast of readi grass or a treat hay or this morning they got a bit of dried forage and a little readi grass.

They then get their pellets (very small handful per bun, less than an eggcup full) and again some treat hay/ readi grass/ forage just before bed. I also change their water bowls at dinner every day.

I top their main hay up morning and night as well and sometimes in the middle of the day if I go in their rooms.

I try not to feed readi grass daily as Loki once had some calcium wee when he was eating more of the stuff so I feed it slightly less now and there has not been a recurrence.

Well I know everyone is different, but with my two mini lops; we do the little and often approach as they are such greedy monsters. (Harvey – 1.6kg/Honey – 1.7kg) but I'm also interested in what others come back with! :)

20g Pellets – 6am
20g pellets – 5pm
Handful of fresh veg and herbs – 9pm (include Broccoli/Kale/carrot tops- green bit only/mint/coriander/Dill/Cauliflower leaves/sprout peelings/very small parsnip and carrot peeling all given alternatively)

Fenugreek crunchie or Hay Experts carrot pieces/rose petals at 12pm (only started this for the last month)
Small apple stick at 10.30pm when they settle for the night.

they also have unlimited hay.. which includes Sweet Meadow Hay, mixed with treat hay. This is given freshly morning and night. When I also change their water bowls.

Last edited:
Veg in the morning (broccoli and kale, tia has a grape), pellets (15g each) in the evening along with a few 'sneaksy pellets', a piece of p&p and a fenugreek crunchy (half a fenugreek for Rupert), hay all day and night (topped up morning and bedtime)

Pellets in the morning, veg in the evening. Treats like fenugreek treats in between, and cuttings of herbs, grass, forage etc. And of course more hay whenever they need it.

I feed all mine twice a day, early morning and early evening. They have a small portion of pellets and herbs/veg in the morning and another small portion of pellets with different herbs/veg in the evening. They have fresh hay in the morning and again in the evening. I try and be careful with the nutritional content of veg/herbs and make sure I space calcium or oxalate rich foods apart, for example I wouldn't give them a portion of watercress in the morning and then a portion of spinach in the evening as both are high calcium foods.

Pellets in the morning. .have measured out 20g per kg of bun. Loads of hay.
Evening ... herbs, a fenugreek, fibre sticks.
Bed time..a small handful of muesli. .naughty but it's a treat that they love and it's only a very little bit (I've got very little hands[emoji15] )...I think of it as bunny chocolate.
And loads more hay again.

Twice a day - I wouldn't do once a day as although they would have hay 24/7, feeding a couple of times just lets you see that they are enthusiastic for their food as normal - it's a bit of an early warning of any emerging problems and only once every 24 hours wouldn't be enough to safely deal with any problems that arise.

Mine have a constant supply of hay and fresh water.
A small bowl of greens that they share at around 7:30am and another small bowl when we have our evening meal.
At some point during the evening they get an egg cup of pellets in their treat ball.
There's the occasional fenugreek crunchie or bit of fruit as a treat.
Luckily they view fruit flavored herbs in the same way as actual fruit. They love apple-mint, banana-mint and I even managed to grow some strawberry-mint last year so they get herbs as treats as well.
I'm a great believer in all things in moderation.

mabels has changed since last week the ss in morning she had barely any anyway only 2 :lol:, so now that has changed to a fibafirst stick

rest of day hay topped up, different types of hay and if you feed wrong one at wrong time she knows and runs to bags pawing at them :lol:

supertime which is around 7.45pm a few cabbage medley greens, few bits of cucumber chopped and same with celery

Twice a day - I wouldn't do once a day as although they would have hay 24/7, feeding a couple of times just lets you see that they are enthusiastic for their food as normal - it's a bit of an early warning of any emerging problems and only once every 24 hours wouldn't be enough to safely deal with any problems that arise.

Exactly the reason why I do twice a day :thumb:

Small sprinkling of pellets (prob about 7/8 ) each in the morning before work, then early evening they get some veg and some more pellets.

Hay and water topped up twice a day. Treats and treat hay as hoc :thumb:

Fresh hay and hand picked grass in the morning (sometimes veg instead of grass).

Fresh hay and a handful of pellets per rabbit (two handfuls per belgian hare) in the evening.

Whenever I pay a social call I take a little something, even if its only a bit of hay.

I like to sit in with them when I feed them to check that everyone is eating. Also to admire them and to tell them how gorgeous they are.

Got to do some nail cutting soon. They will not be at all impressed. Better get some treats ready ...

Between Delilah my 7kg conti x and Frankie my 2.5kg lionhead x, they get a good handful of ss pellets between them in the morning, constant access to hay during the day, some hand picked grass, forage and then at night time, another good handful of ss pellets and a bowlful of herbs and veg between them.

I give mine fresh water, pellets and a few generous handfuls of hay in the mornings and some veggies and forage in the evening. Of course, I also give them more hay or water in the evening if they seem to be running low on either.

OH collects enough brambles for two 'sittings' for Lopsy: he collects them on the way back from work so that's evening and morning. In the morning Lopsy also gets some forage (he's eaten all the rose bits we're willing to chop off, so he's on mallow and weeds now, and had some picked grass this morning XD) and a hay check. Evening he gets 'fresh' brambles, pellets and 'main' hay topup. If we're out all day, we feed him everything in the morning and then check on him with the last bramble in the evening (be that midnight or otherwise!). Recently I've been picking that parsley stuff I can never remember the name of (it's safe!) and storing it in a jar of water for a couple of days :)

OH collects enough brambles for two 'sittings' for Lopsy: he collects them on the way back from work so that's evening and morning. In the morning Lopsy also gets some forage (he's eaten all the rose bits we're willing to chop off, so he's on mallow and weeds now, and had some picked grass this morning XD) and a hay check. Evening he gets 'fresh' brambles, pellets and 'main' hay topup. If we're out all day, we feed him everything in the morning and then check on him with the last bramble in the evening (be that midnight or otherwise!). Recently I've been picking that parsley stuff I can never remember the name of (it's safe!) and storing it in a jar of water for a couple of days :)

I was inspired to go bramble hunting today after reading this. All the rabbits were most impressed. Especially Mottle.

Lopsy is very lucky getting so many. I am sure that they are wonderful for their digestion as mine have loved them after any ops.

I have 1 huge underbed box, 2 small boxes and a digging box all stuffed with hay for the day.

I give them 2 handfuls of pellets scattered in hay and around the shed in the morning

In the evening, I top up hay, change water and give them a fibafirst stick each

I don't give them greens as I did once and Obi got gas,,,

I give them a handful of readigrass normally but I ran out!!

In the summer, I cut bramble branches/leaves and give them that to Nom on..

Fee x

I let my two out for a two hour run-around morning and evening. I hide Science Selective pellets in various places for them to hunt for. When they go back in they have their veggies.

Back