• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Goldcrest Conifers??

Scruffy

Banned
2ltr-wilma-goldcrest.gif

Hi folks!

My gardener planted 3 of these Goldcrest Conifers in my garden, he insists they are "animal safe" along with the "animal/child safe" decorative bark he placed.

But I always believed Conifers are toxic to rabbits.

Help!!

I don't think conifers are safe, and the decorative bark is not normally safe unless it is playbark, as all ornamental bark is treated with fungicide etc.

I don't think conifers are safe, and the decorative bark is not normally safe unless it is playbark, as all ornamental bark is treated with fungicide etc.

The bark is playbark! That's the term he used. It said animal and child safe on the bag too.

Are the conifer leaves bad or is the the bark? Or both?

I would imagine it's a case of a little nibble won't hurt i.e. it's not super toxic if you rub against it. Googling it's listed as mildly toxic to livestock - so you wouldn't want to feed a rabbit a whole one but on the other hand I imagine you aren't planing on letting them eat it - expensive snack otherwise :)

I would imagine it's a case of a little nibble won't hurt i.e. it's not super toxic if you rub against it. Googling it's listed as mildly toxic to livestock - so you wouldn't want to feed a rabbit a whole one but on the other hand I imagine you aren't planing on letting them eat it - expensive snack otherwise :)

It would indeed be an expensive snack! The buck has a nibble, the doe licks it (oddly) but I chase them from it as I was uncertain. haha!

Thanks Tamsin! :D

I've just had a good laugh at your comment.... "you wouldn't want to feed a rabbit a whole one". Thank you.

Back