• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a run?

MB1201

Young Bun
Hi,

What items would we need to build our own rabbit run? And how much roughly? It seems expensive to be paying £100+ for an 8x4 run that most definitely didn't cost that much to make, so we'd like to construct one ourselves. Any pics/ ideas will be appreciated :)

We built one last year, but to be honest by the time you've bought the wood, mesh, staples, hinges, I don't think you save much at all and it is a LOT of work and hassle. I wouldn't do it again personally.

I wouldn't want to recommend materials etc as I probably wouldn't use exactly the same again.

Hi,

What items would we need to build our own rabbit run? And how much roughly? It seems expensive to be paying £100+ for an 8x4 run that most definitely didn't cost that much to make, so we'd like to construct one ourselves. Any pics/ ideas will be appreciated :)

Hi,

Ideally you would need some nice thick redwood or whitewood that is around the 32x45mm thick at least or thicker, the bigger the stronger.
As for the mesh you need 19G Welded Wire Mesh that is at least 13x25mm or for better fox protection it be 16G.

But i am interested to see why you feel a run that costs over £100 didn't cost that much to make?

Decent wood, mesh, drill & screws, staples, hinges etc.
My dad built ours, they are super sturdy, really good. They cost about £250-350 each to make and he made 3! It took him a 1-2 whole days to make each one.
tumblr_nlmcilBfTw1tirn5fo1_1280.jpg

Trust me when I say anything under £200 for a 8X4 run is not expensive!

We built one last year, but to be honest by the time you've bought the wood, mesh, staples, hinges, I don't think you save much at all and it is a LOT of work and hassle. I wouldn't do it again personally.

I wouldn't want to recommend materials etc as I probably wouldn't use exactly the same again.

I agree. Its a lot of work and doesnt seem cheap to get decent mesh and wood, etc.

I build a run myself, the timber is cheap but the mesh is the costly part of it.

By the time you build it and buy all the parts you pretty much spend the same as buying a pre-built and lost a day of your life.

I think we found that if you're building a small run the saving is minimal (if at all).
If you're making multiple or large runs then it's worth doing as you pay less per meter of wire, timber etc.
It's also worth making it if you have specific wants and would have to have a custom build.

Have you built similar structures before?

mesh is cheap to buy online. I got some off ebay for about £16. I agree though runs are not that easy to make. Cutting the mesh is hard work and sharp. Luckily I have a staple gun so stapled the mesh to the wood . It cost me around £60 to make a run that was 6ft x 4ft

Back