• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed

sweetiepie

New Kit
We took our two 20 week old male rabbits to be neutered at the vets on Thurs. Unfortunately the first rabbits heart stopped under the anaesthetic and died :cry: Subsequently they didn't operate on the second one so my question is, how do I now go about introducing a new rabbit to the surviving one as I don't want to leave him lonely.

The vets won't now try operating on him just in case they were from the same litter so I need to consider that he will have to remain unneutered!!

Do I get another male similar age? Do I get a spayed female??

Never had rabbits before so this is all very new and upsetting to us.

TIA

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

My understanding is that he is unlikely to successfully bond with another bunny now.

An un spayed female is obviously a "no" but, even a spayed one is unlikely given that he may not leave her alone.

Another unneutered male will not work as they will fight and I would have thought he may bully a neutered one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is very rare but unfortunately does happen occasionally. There may be a safer method by which to have him neutered and if someone knows they will reply to you. Other than that you could have 2 rabbits living side by side, preferably a neutered doe. At least they would have company of a sort. Some people keep guinea pigs and rabbits together but we don't advise that as a general rule, although some have lived that way for several years together.

I am sorry you lost one of your rabbits.
Unfortunately an un-neutered male won't be able to live with another rabbit - they will fight.
Would you consider finding a more experienced rabbit vet and discussing the situation with him?
I have a feeling there is medication you can use, but I'm not sure on that point.

Back