• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc - lump at base of ear, earwax build up

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc has a fair sized lump on the base of his right ear. it's a build up of wax. the vet has seen it and advised me to massage it for the moment, and showed me inside bisc's ear so i could see the wax moving upwards as he massaged it. i didn't know the wax was so creamy and white! he said hopefully this will enable bisc to reach it more easily and remove lots for himself.

anyway, so obviously we have to keep an eye on it, mainly for the risk of an abscess forming. and other signs such as bisc paying more attention to the ear etc. luckily he seems fine with me massaging it for him. and that's it for now really.

just wondered if anyone else's rabbits have this problem :wave:

It sounds more like an ear base abscess to me :? Has the Vet completely ruled this out ?

he had a good feel of the ear, and a look inside. he just said it's a build up of wax, but that if we just left it, then it could cause issues, like an abscess. he definitely didn't say it was an abscess now. but that i need to massage it regularly and keep a close eye on it for any changes.

something else to worry about :(

he had a good feel of the ear, and a look inside. he just said it's a build up of wax, but that if we just left it, then it could cause issues, like an abscess. he definitely didn't say it was an abscess now. but that i need to massage it regularly and keep a close eye on it for any changes.

Well you know you have a very Rabbit savvy Vet, so if he is not worried that there is an abscess I would not worry either :)

There's always something, isn't there? I hope you manage to get it out and it doesn't become anything more complex.

Try not to worry! It sounds like you have a very good and knowledgable vet, which is more than half the battle.
I hope things get better ..... and SO glad it's not an abscess :thumb:

thanks. i worry whatever really! :oops:

the vet said bisc probably wouldn't appreciate having the build up massaged, but he's actually been brilliant. :love:

bisc also had his vaccination whilst at the vets, and a thorough check over. just his ear to keep an eye on now, plus some adjustment to his sore hock routine, but other than that... well managed snuffles as always, and generally in good health. just the odd little niggles as would be expected from an older rabbit. :love:

thanks. i worry whatever really! :oops:

the vet said bisc probably wouldn't appreciate having the build up massaged, but he's actually been brilliant. :love:

bisc also had his vaccination whilst at the vets, and a thorough check over. just his ear to keep an eye on now, plus some adjustment to his sore hock routine, but other than that... well managed snuffles as always, and generally in good health. just the odd little niggles as would be expected from an older rabbit. :love:

Sounds like you're taking brilliant care of him .... Sorry I can't remember how old Biscuit is now?

I have a rabbit who has had the same issue as yours for about 2 years. The lump was lanced as soon as I noticed the lump by an Exotic Vet and found to be only debris and wax. We too are keeping a close eye on it and periodically the vet cleans it out the best he can. He has advised me that unless it is causing the rabbit a problem to leave it be.

Sorry I missed replying to this the other day. Really hope Bisc will be okay. I know Mimzy can make wax like a factory and it really gets jammed in those ear canals. He always needs them cleaned when we take him in for his checkups and it takes forever to get it all out. :(
Mimzy loves having his ears rubbed but for some reason it makes him furiously start washing his face. :lol:

I have a rabbit who has had the same issue as yours for about 2 years. The lump was lanced as soon as I noticed the lump by an Exotic Vet and found to be only debris and wax. We too are keeping a close eye on it and periodically the vet cleans it out the best he can. He has advised me that unless it is causing the rabbit a problem to leave it be.

thanks. our vet said the same really... just to keep a close eye on it for now, and that with help, bisc should beable to get alot out himself. but that if it gets more wax build up then obviously we will have to do something. but massage and manually helping it travel out can be the best thing overall, rather than having to sedate them and then mess about with the ear x

Sorry I missed replying to this the other day. Really hope Bisc will be okay. I know Mimzy can make wax like a factory and it really gets jammed in those ear canals. He always needs them cleaned when we take him in for his checkups and it takes forever to get it all out. :(
Mimzy loves having his ears rubbed but for some reason it makes him furiously start washing his face. :lol:

:lol: bisc does have a wash afterwards. i've found massaging both sides means he thinks he's just being pampered! if i concentrate on the build up area alone, he knows i'm upto something! :lol: x

Do you think he has difficulty cleaning his own ear? It may explain why he got so much wax in his ear. You mentioned his sore hock and at his age he may be having some arthritis.
I had a bunny who had such a buildup that I messaged out a piece of wax that looked like a small pencil eraser!

My old lady bun has this. My vet says it's quite common in lops as there is a break in the cartilage that stops the ears standing up and also allows wax to gather in a pocket of skin it creates under the ear as it falls though the break in the cartilage. He also said just to massage it and clear any wax that moves into the outer ear. He said they can do surgery to make it less likely but we didn't discuss that in detail as she's not a good candidate being older.

I do think it can be linked to other issues - with Martha it's often a sign that she's starting an EC flair up because she can't clear her ears as well when she's getting wobbly.

Not sure if what I do for my splay leg bunny, who can't clean his left ear, would help, and I would definately check with your vet first.

Scooter gets a really waxy ear, and he goes mad scratching it, but I guess it would feel pretty uncomfortable.

I've used for some time now, Quistel Soothing Ear Cleaner, and it is just brilliant and really works.

You warm it slightly before use, apply a few drops into the ear, massage the base of the ear for 30 secs, which helps to loosen it all, and then Scooter has a bit of a shake of his head, and the wax literally falls out.

The cleaner works purely by loosening the wax enough that it can be shaken out. The first time I cleaned Scooter's ear was pretty disgusting I have to say, and I couldn't believe how much wax fell out, but it is working really well keeping his ear clean.

Oh that's splendid - what a good age! You must be doing something right :thumb:

i hope so. although i never feel like it's enough sometimes though. :?

Do you think he has difficulty cleaning his own ear? It may explain why he got so much wax in his ear. You mentioned his sore hock and at his age he may be having some arthritis.
I had a bunny who had such a buildup that I messaged out a piece of wax that looked like a small pencil eraser!

i'm not sure he has trouble cleaning it himself. or it doesn't appear that he has. he's a lop so that could be why. the vet always checks him for any stiff movement and there doesn't appear to be any, although he is on long term metacam anyway for snuffles so that should keep any minor discomfort under control if he does have any.

i've been massaging his ear but haven't seen any wax come out yet. not sure if i'm doing it right, but i'm copying what the vet showed me. the 'lump' feels a bit softer but not reduced in size as yet.

My old lady bun has this. My vet says it's quite common in lops as there is a break in the cartilage that stops the ears standing up and also allows wax to gather in a pocket of skin it creates under the ear as it falls though the break in the cartilage. He also said just to massage it and clear any wax that moves into the outer ear. He said they can do surgery to make it less likely but we didn't discuss that in detail as she's not a good candidate being older.

I do think it can be linked to other issues - with Martha it's often a sign that she's starting an EC flair up because she can't clear her ears as well when she's getting wobbly.

i did wonder if it might be related to having snuffles, although his have always been very well managed. the vet said it's probably because he is a lop. he mentioned about the bend in the ear aswell. he always relates it to bending a straw and it creates the ear which then have that squashed bend!

Not sure if what I do for my splay leg bunny, who can't clean his left ear, would help, and I would definately check with your vet first.

Scooter gets a really waxy ear, and he goes mad scratching it, but I guess it would feel pretty uncomfortable.

I've used for some time now, Quistel Soothing Ear Cleaner, and it is just brilliant and really works.

You warm it slightly before use, apply a few drops into the ear, massage the base of the ear for 30 secs, which helps to loosen it all, and then Scooter has a bit of a shake of his head, and the wax literally falls out.

The cleaner works purely by loosening the wax enough that it can be shaken out. The first time I cleaned Scooter's ear was pretty disgusting I have to say, and I couldn't believe how much wax fell out, but it is working really well keeping his ear clean.

thanks. i'll make a note of these and mention them to the vet next time we go. bisc definitely sometimes seems agitated by his ear. like he has a real itch there.

Back