• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Obsessive licking/chewing front legs.

esupi

Warren Veteran
Fudge started this yesterday - she keeps flicking her paws, and then obsessively licking/chewing the fur at the tops of her front legs.

My gut feeling is that this is dental, but I don't understand why it would manifest in this way.
The reason I think this is that I've also noticed her chewing oddly and eating a lot less hay just in the last couple of days - she seems to struggle to get going with they hay - I've noticed her chopping bits off instead of getting it into her mouth to chew. Last night I tried her on a different hay though and she tucked into that, though was still chewing oddly.

Fudge has 'mild kidney issues' so I'm afraid of taking her in and subjecting her to a GA if not absolutely necessary. I don't know how bad the impact on the kidneys is, but I know it's not good. I don't feel like I have much choice now though :(

Chewing themselves is usually an indication of pain so I think your suspicion of a dental problem could well be right. I would get her teeth checked asap and then if a GA is required you can discuss your concerns with the vet.

Unfortunately if it is a dental issue it can't be left as it will end up causing terrible damage to her mouth, leaving her unable to eat.

Good luck x

Have you checked her bum ? A Rabbit who cannot get to their bum to eat their cecotrophs and clean themselves can start to lick/chew at their front legs/dewlap.

Chewing themselves is usually an indication of pain so I think your suspicion of a dental problem could well be right. I would get her teeth checked asap and then if a GA is required you can discuss your concerns with the vet.

Unfortunately if it is a dental issue it can't be left as it will end up causing terrible damage to her mouth, leaving her unable to eat.

Good luck x

Thanks. That's why I feel I won't have a choice :(
Have you checked her bum ? A Rabbit who cannot get to their bum to eat their cecotrophs and clean themselves can start to lick/chew at their front legs/dewlap.
I haven't but will do when I get back. I have noticed a couple of uneaten cecotrophs over the same time period but didn't think much of that. Only two weeks ago she developed a bit of a head tilt which was treated with panacur. I just feel like she's not a well rabbit at the moment so wasnt surprised her guts weren't totally normal.

Thanks. That's why I feel I won't have a choice :(

I haven't but will do when I get back. I have noticed a couple of uneaten cecotrophs over the same time period but didn't think much of that. Only two weeks ago she developed a bit of a head tilt which was treated with panacur. I just feel like she's not a well rabbit at the moment so wasnt surprised her guts weren't totally normal.

I'd get the Vets to check her ears too. Ear pain can present in all sorts of odd ways, including obsessive licking. Is she still on Panacur ?

I'd get the Vets to check her ears too. Ear pain can present in all sorts of odd ways, including obsessive licking. Is she still on Panacur ?

No she had the 9 day course and her head was okay again in a couple of days. I ordered some more Panacur online but it never arrived - they told me like a week later that Fudge wasn't heavy enough or something but hadn't bothered to tell me they weren't sending it (in fact they had sent me a despatch confirmation!).

Her bum is fine. Just gave her some grass and there's like a clicking noise when she chews as though her teeth are catching against each other. I will get her to the vets today.

No she had the 9 day course and her head was okay again in a couple of days. I ordered some more Panacur online but it never arrived - they told me like a week later that Fudge wasn't heavy enough or something but hadn't bothered to tell me they weren't sending it (in fact they had sent me a despatch confirmation!).

Her bum is fine. Just gave her some grass and there's like a clicking noise when she chews as though her teeth are catching against each other. I will get her to the vets today.

Hope all goes well for her xx

Thanks. I will definitely ask about ears too. Now just trying to work out which vet to go to! Waiting until just after FHB has retired is such a typical rabbit thing to do!

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your poorly bun. I would continue with the Panacur if I were you .. either get it from the vet or online. Just in case, as you mention a head tilt (even though now resolved)

It's controversial I know, but given the mild kidney problems your bunny has, have you thought of seeing a vet who does conscious dentals? One of my rabbits can't have a GA at all. Her lips and tongue go blue even getting to the vet and she needs oxygen. She has conscious dentals and always has done (she is 12 years old now). Worth thinking about ......

Good luck xx

Hi MightyMax. I hadn't considered it to be honest. Fudge is a bit of a wriggle bun-even nail clipping is a two person job! So I'm not sure it would be possible for her. I am just at the vet now so will see what they say.

Her kidneys actually seem to be holding up pretty well at the moment so I'm just really way of stressing them unnecessarily.

Hi MightyMax. I hadn't considered it to be honest. Fudge is a bit of a wriggle bun-even nail clipping is a two person job! So I'm not sure it would be possible for her. I am just at the vet now so will see what they say.

Her kidneys actually seem to be holding up pretty well at the moment so I'm just really way of stressing them unnecessarily.

A confident vet who has done conscious dentals for a while will have no problem at all knowing how to restrain your little one! I am always in the room when it's done - rabbit wrapped tightly and held by vet nurse. I can then see into the mouth and what needs doing ...

Thanks all. We are just back. Her legs looked so sore when the vet was holding her and I could get a proper look! She could also see some soreness on her cheeks, but nothing obvious wrong with her teeth. So potentially she has hurt her cheeks by obsessively chewing her legs. Or she is obsessively chewing her legs because her mouth hurts. Or there's something else going on entirely. We're giving it a couple of days with an anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic in case it's a result of some trauma or infection or something. If no improvement we're going back and will put her under to have a proper look.

Thanks all. We are just back. Her legs looked so sore when the vet was holding her and I could get a proper look! She could also see some soreness on her cheeks, but nothing obvious wrong with her teeth. So potentially she has hurt her cheeks by obsessively chewing her legs. Or she is obsessively chewing her legs because her mouth hurts. Or there's something else going on entirely. We're giving it a couple of days with an anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic in case it's a result of some trauma or infection or something. If no improvement we're going back and will put her under to have a proper look.

Oh poor little one :cry:

I hope things calm down with her ... If you have to give her a GA it sounds like your vet is very savvy?

Lots of good vibes coming over xx

Awwwww poor little mite :cry: I hope that she'll be feeling a lot better once the medication kicks in. Sending vibes for her xx

Poor Fudge :( I hope the medicine helps. I can empathize with the frustration of there not being anything that stands out and is easily sussed. Hopefully you'll see some improvement soon. More vibes being sent. xxxx

Back