• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on this playhouse?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi,

I've been looking for a new hutch for Doris and Pepper and decided that I might be better off with another playhouse.

This is where Finx and Tango live:

796be4f378deb90ced3121ec8bba3503.jpg

It's a 4x4 playhouse connected to an 8x4 run, with access to another 6x3 run on top.
I bought their playhouse second hand and had a bit of trouble with it being soggy!

Am after some opinions on this one for Doris and Pepper:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rowlinson-little-lodge-playhouse-292371

What do you think RU? [emoji4]

I have one of those. But because the roof is the opposite way round water runs down into the door way and window. You also get a soaking wet back if you bend into it if the roof is wet. But the rest of it is well built.

Ah yes I hadn't thought of that. There are cheaper ones that are the same size but this one looks sturdier.
I have found a second hand one on eBay but I'm worried it might be too much of a project...

Would you consider a small shed instead? You don't have to bend as much and can always put some shelves up for storage and the extra height means you can fit taller furniture/toys in for the for the bunnies? :) I've heard that sometimes a small shed is much better value for money per square foot compared to playhouses, without hopefully taking up too much room. I love your double run idea!

I'd love to get a shed but have to compromise with both OH and landlord lol which I guess is fair enough. I already have 2 set ups plus the landlord's actual shed squeezed in, and OH really doesn't like the bunnies he just humours them because they make me happy!
I have a budget for the overall project of no more than £250 (which is pushing it really) but that has to include some kind of base, mesh, paint, lino etc.
Am struggling to make a decision!!

Hi,

I've been looking for a new hutch for Doris and Pepper and decided that I might be better off with another playhouse.

This is where Finx and Tango live:

796be4f378deb90ced3121ec8bba3503.jpg

It's a 4x4 playhouse connected to an 8x4 run, with access to another 6x3 run on top.
I bought their playhouse second hand and had a bit of trouble with it being soggy!

Am after some opinions on this one for Doris and Pepper:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rowlinson-little-lodge-playhouse-292371

What do you think RU? [emoji4]

I love your set up:)Can I ask how the bunnies get into the top run?Thats a great idea.

I love your set up:)Can I ask how the bunnies get into the top run?Thats a great idea.

Thanks [emoji4]

I built them some steps lol. A ramp was too steep without them bumping their heads.
Originally they just jumped on a box, but after Finx fractured her foreleg (unrelated!) I wanted to avoid too many hard landings.

They're a bit amateurish but they take my weight and the buns use them quite happily [emoji4]
545f9c9696e703ec9ff0086ca2b3cdb8.jpg

(Sorry if it's massive!)

You can see the hole in this one, although it's on the other side of the garden (before they chewed the decking!)
ee8fdfa393af312aee411c2a058329c9.jpg

What's wrong with the original? Is it just the roof? Or is it too far gone for a simple repair (stripping the old roof off and making a new one)?

Nothing lol it's my other pair that need a new house
Ha ha, OK :) I'd go secondhand in that case: look for something similar to what you've already got. I found loads but was limited by pickup: thankfully there was one near a friend's who delivered to there and I picked it up at my leisure (by which I mean I got my parents to drive the van they'd already hired for another job via there!).

After lots of thought I've decided to give up on the playhouse and have ordered a hutch from the welfare hutch company.
The playhouse would have been cheaper but I don't drive and would have had to rely a lot on OH for help.
Judging by how much time, effort and money the other playhouse took, this seems more sensible right now! Hope they like it, I've ordered this one:
e2849d9829b8673a073e459cf14600c5.jpg

Ah fab. I love Welfare Co's stuff. Such good quality :)

I hope so!!

I've also ordered a runaround double door to fix the mesh from the run onto one of the mesh doors on the front of the hutch, to avoid sharp edges. The current wooden frame on the run-hutch doorway was a bit of a messy job by me and then they can match Finx and Tango [emoji4]

Back