• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - emergency dash to vets !

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Hi sorry if this is a bit lengthy folks.
Took both bunnies for pedicure approx a month ago, both healthy, but vet noticed my male, Toffee, had been pulling his fur in 2 places- he had been scratching. She said it was probably mites and gave him Zeno 450 and dosed his sister as well. Everything ok since, but Toffee started scratching again, so they have both been done again 2 days ago.
However, this last week they have both been leaving their ceacatrophes during the day, and Toffee seemed a bit quiet. I had him booked in tomorrow for a check up.came home today about 4 o'clock, and gave them both a fenugreek crunchy, which they wolfed down. Went out about an hour and half later to give them few nuggets, and she was lying fully stretched on her belly, when I touched her she rolled on her side, never done that before. Rang vet and they said bring her straight in, vet was great and very thorough, temperature and eyes both normal, and she let her feel her tummy ok. Vet thinks it's a reaction to something they are eating. They only thing I can think of is the crunchies. I normally buy from Amazon but this time bought from Viovet. It's the same manufacture (Rosewood) but they do look a bit lighter ?
Has anyone had any problems giving their buns these crunchies recently ? They are both going back to vets in the morning. Their diet hasn't changed and they haven't been on grass, so I'm at a loss.
Sorry to ramble, but I havent had a sick bunny before so feeling really stressed.
Thank you !

Hi sorry if this is a bit lengthy folks.
Took both bunnies for pedicure approx a month ago, both healthy, but vet noticed my male, Toffee, had been pulling his fur in 2 places- he had been scratching. She said it was probably mites and gave him Zeno 450 and dosed his sister as well. Everything ok since, but Toffee started scratching again, so they have both been done again 2 days ago.
However, this last week they have both been leaving their ceacatrophes during the day, and Toffee seemed a bit quiet. I had him booked in tomorrow for a check up.came home today about 4 o'clock, and gave them both a fenugreek crunchy, which they wolfed down. Went out about an hour and half later to give them few nuggets, and she was lying fully stretched on her belly, when I touched her she rolled on her side, never done that before. Rang vet and they said bring her straight in, vet was great and very thorough, temperature and eyes both normal, and she let her feel her tummy ok. Vet thinks it's a reaction to something they are eating. They only thing I can think of is the crunchies. I normally buy from Amazon but this time bought from Viovet. It's the same manufacture (Rosewood) but they do look a bit lighter ?
Has anyone had any problems giving their buns these crunchies recently ? They are both going back to vets in the morning. Their diet hasn't changed and they haven't been on grass, so I'm at a loss.
Sorry to ramble, but I havent had a sick bunny before so feeling really stressed.
Thank you !

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I have never given my rabbit those crunchies, but I would doubt this could cause such a problem. As mites normally become a problem when the immune system is low, it's possible that something else could be going on with your rabbit.

Ivermectin can be given orally so the fact that your rabbits probably licked it off one another shouldn't be the cause of the problem you're experiencing.

Can you quiz the vet as to whether something else may be going on that neither of you have identified yet?

Good luck xx

I would tend to agree that there is probably something else going on that hasn't been found yet. Every case of mites in rabbits that I have had has just been a symptom of another health issue. Treating the mites is the easy bit. Finding the reason that they were there is more difficult. Good luck with the vet visit.

I seem to recall Zeno 450 isn't all that good - might be wrong though. I didn't know Ivermectin can be given orally Mighty Max? Anyhow, hope your bunnies are ok.

I'm sorry your bunnies are poorly. I've no experience of anything like this so can't offer you any advice, other than ask your vet a few more questions tomorrow. Vibes for them both.xx

It could possibly be the xeno. I can't recall who it was, but another member dosed with xeno and the rabbit ended up quite ill. It was due to incorrect instructions on the box resulting in an over dose being given. Lethargy and lack of appetite would be the most common symptoms from this occurring.

eta: Found the thread about it.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?428733-Xeno-450-UD-post-30-%29

This is really interesting JBun. Thanks so much for finding this thread.

It would seem that it was the vet who originally dosed the rabbits with Xeno - one would hope they had the dosage correct? What surprised me though was that Pets Mum only mentioned *one* previous vet visit for mites (a month previous). Treatment for mites, in order to catch the full life cycle and therefore interrupt it, means at least one dose repeated a fortnight later.

The Noah's Compendium fact sheet for Xeno specifically states that the dose should be repeated after two weeks and four weeks.

Pet's Mum - did the vet give you the spot on treatment to use at home in the intervening period?

Back