• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good quality hay in the aylesbury/buckinghamshire area?

ImoT

Mama Doe
I was wondering if anyone knows of a fairly affordable hay supplier in the Aylesbury area? I am willing to travel a little further afield for affordable, good quality hay. I've tried googling but a lot of suppliers only seem to sell bales, bags are much easier to deal with to be honest!

Hunters on the a5 do nice bales that are in bags. I think there is also a hunters in Aylesbury so they would probably do the same hay.

I get a 10kg bale from timothyhay.co.uk and I've got to say, he goes through it so fast that it's not a nuisance for long and I store it behind my living room door. It may be worth buying a bale and storing either somewhere dry outside, or you can split it into several parcels/bags.

We have a large plastic container with some in, along with other hay and readigrass so may be worth considering as it's also way cheaper in the long run :)

Perhaps search for a local supplier who sells bales, I'm sure they'd be happy to halve the size for half the money, especially as you'd be a repeat customer :thumb:

Hunters on the a5 do nice bales that are in bags. I think there is also a hunters in Aylesbury so they would probably do the same hay.

I've tried googling it but can't find anything about somewhere called hunters :/

I get a 10kg bale from timothyhay.co.uk and I've got to say, he goes through it so fast that it's not a nuisance for long and I store it behind my living room door. It may be worth buying a bale and storing either somewhere dry outside, or you can split it into several parcels/bags.

We have a large plastic container with some in, along with other hay and readigrass so may be worth considering as it's also way cheaper in the long run :)

Perhaps search for a local supplier who sells bales, I'm sure they'd be happy to halve the size for half the money, especially as you'd be a repeat customer :thumb:

To be fair I was looking at getting 9.5kg's of hay from Hay for Pets so 10kg isn't that much heavier. There is a hay bale supplier near me selling meadow hay bales for £3.50, although it doesn't say the weight of them. I guess I could store it in a duvet cover in the shed and then put some into pillow cases to store under the stairs every few weeks or something! Hmm you've given me some food for thought there thank you :)

Hello fellow Bucks resident! :wave:
I normally buy a big bale of hay from Penn Equine each week (a fair journey from Aylesbury though unless you can buy and store a few bales at a time?) Pretty sure they're at least 10kg if not more as one takes up most of my small estate's back seat/two fit in the boot. They also stock Readigrass that I give my furbabies sometimes.

Widmer Feeds in Lacey Green do *dust-free bales in a bag* (bought one today for £8.99- they are slightly smaller than the normal bales but still much cheaper per kg than the tiny 'bales' in pet shops). They also stock normal hay in a bale that is slightly larger and cheaper than the dust-free.

Both stock 20kg bags of Aubiose for around £10 in case like me you use this for litter trays.
I take a single duvet cover with me to put the bale in when I buy the normal bales- helps keep my car hay-free.
Hope that helps!

ETA: The bagged dust-free hay bales from Widmer are particularly good if you have to store hay in an outbuilding/shed, especially during winter as the bag helps the hay to stay dry, something which I had struggled with before thanks to a slightly leaky storage box in the garden!

The other bonus with the dust-free hay is that if you cut open only the top of the bag and cut the bale's string the hay is loose within the bag and easy to pull out/peg shut.

A normal bale lasts me around 1 week with 10 Mini Lops (less in winter as I use more). The dust-free hay sometimes lasts a fraction less.

Last edited:
Try googling hunters farm and country shop Aylesbury

Thank you, I found some info on it :)

I normally buy a big bale of hay from Penn Equine each week (a fair journey from Aylesbury though unless you can buy and store a few bales at a time?) Pretty sure they're at least 10kg if not more as one takes up most of my small estate's back seat/two fit in the boot. They also stock Readigrass that I give my furbabies sometimes.

Widmer Feeds in Lacey Green do *dust-free bales in a bag* (bought one today for £8.99- they are slightly smaller than the normal bales but still much cheaper per kg than the tiny 'bales' in pet shops). They also stock normal hay in a bale that is slightly larger and cheaper than the dust-free.

Both stock 20kg bags of Aubiose for around £10 in case like me you use this for litter trays.
I take a single duvet cover with me to put the bale in when I buy the normal bales- helps keep my car hay-free.
Hope that helps!

ETA: The bagged dust-free hay bales from Widmer are particularly good if you have to store hay in an outbuilding/shed, especially during winter as the bag helps the hay to stay dry, something which I had struggled with before thanks to a slightly leaky storage box in the garden!

The other bonus with the dust-free hay is that if you cut open only the top of the bag and cut the bale's string the hay is loose within the bag and easy to pull out/peg shut.

A normal bale lasts me around 1 week with 10 Mini Lops (less in winter as I use more). The dust-free hay sometimes lasts a fraction less.

Thank you for all that info! Penn equine isn't too far, we often pop over to high Wycombe to go to John Lewis so I could always pick up some readigrass from them. Winston adores readigrass.

I've found quainton stud and moreton fields farm near me which sell reasonably priced bales so I'm going to phone them in a bit to find out the weight of them etc.

The bale in a bag dust free hay from widmer looks fab though so I will probably ring them first! This might sound like a really dumb question but would standard bales not be dust free? And how important is it for rabbits to have dust extracted hay? I thought it was very important but as lots of people seem to buy standard bales I might be mistaken!

Hope that helps!

I just phoned Widmer, spoke to someone called Chris who was really nice. He says the bales in a bag are standard size bales and are around 20kg(!!!!!). He said he would do me a discount if I bought 5 bales but then when he told me they were 20kg I realised I could definitely not fit 5 in my car!!!! They also sell 20kg bags of readigrass (called 'ultragrass') for £9.75 which is an incredible price!!!!! I'm going to go next Saturday to get some :)

Also wooow 10 mini lops!!!

Back