• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Candyfloss and Dusk.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
This is a long and complicated situation, but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

C and D have been together for nearly 6 years. C has had three previous bonded friends she divorced. She's blind. D has only ever known C and, in whatever way, has managed to stay bonded with her (ish) and they are, in their own way, highly dependent on each other. Both are now nearly eight.

C relies heavily on her sense of smell, so, often, when I handle him, and put him back, she fights him, thinking it's somebun else. This has led to many rebondings, especially after things like nail clipping. I handle the least amount of time possible, and if I hold him, I hold her first. This mostly works.

D has needed medication for arthritis (Metacam) and breathing issues (Piriton) for a while. He takes them voluntarily and it's easy and perfect because I don't have to handle him on a twice daily basis (thus increasing the chance of the bond completely breaking down). He has deteriorated significantly. Last summer I decided separating him for nebulising was not smart, so I've never done that. Now he needs Corvental and he took it voluntarily for a short while, but is now refusing. I can force it in twice daily, however, there is the risk, everytime, they may divorce and, due to work, I'm not going to be able to rebond properly until a weekend- thus potentially leaving them both alone, at least in the short term, maybe for good (she is very quirky like that).

So, I have to decide whether or not to give him the Corvental. Due to having to give him 1.3mls of it, I can't easily hide it in anything, like I have before.

Where he currently is, it's not ideal for giving meds. I can theoretically move them elsewhere, halving theirs and Crystal and Butterfly's space (Crystal is end stage heart disease and this feels 'wrong'). That will make it easier to give meds, but reduce the quality of life of all four.

When D dies, Candyfloss will be alone. There are no bunnies here she can bond with and, due to finances, I'm not cool with taking on another bunny. I could move her down so she can see the others (D and C are currently entirely separate due to her liking to fight him with foreign smells) but that will be into the smaller space, although, at this time, that may be more feasible. I can't bring her inside because she doesnt tolerate the heat, even when the temperatures are comparable. I can't and won't rehome because she'd have to go back to the RSPCA and because she is a dental bunny they would PTS her. I don't think it'd be in her best interests anyway, as a decrepid and blind bunny- new smells, new people, new space, that's not appropriate, in my opinion.

i just don't know what to do with them.

I'm thinking of not giving Dusk the Corvental, but asking the vets for steroids (because we are pretty much endstage with no other options medication wise).

I just want them to have the best quality of life they can, even if it's a shorter one because I can't (or decide not to) medicate. But, I don't want to sign his death warrant prematurely.

Very rarely do I get entirely stuck and unable to work out what to do. Normally, I just know.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas?

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to do whatever gives their bond the best chance as long as the metacam will keep him comfortable. Especially if he is not going to be curable. A shorter but bonded life is surely in both of the bunnies best interests.

It's a horrible choice to have to make though :(

I always remember you telling me quality over quantity so I would do what Hele said.

Trust your gut instinct. The answer will come to you, I'm sure, in time.

Sending you hugs and love.xxx

I agree. If he's always going to be sick, then the only factor you have any control over is his happiness and as long as he is stable and not suffering I'd rather a shorter but happier time.

Thanks guys. I had a very emotional conversation with my vet this morning. We're going to pull the Corvental and the Metacam and put him on steroids. I'm confident that I can hide those in food so he will take willingly. Sad times here :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I had a very emotional conversation with my vet this morning. We're going to pull the Corvental and the Metacam and put him on steroids. I'm confident that I can hide those in food so he will take willingly. Sad times here :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I currently inject Alberts metacam into a cranberry wheatie. They usually have a small gap in the end so its easy to do and he happily eats them. Obviously not ideal dietwise long term but as he doesn't have long term I'm not worried about that, would that be an option for you? I get quite a bit in per wheatie. I would be tempted to have C PTS when D goes if you don't think she will cope on her own

Thanks guys. I started Dusk on his steroids last night and I can see a huge improvement in his breathing. It was the right thing to do. I feel quite bad, but it was still the right thing to do.

This may sound silly, but if your bunny could choose, I'm sure he would make the same decision that you have, a shorter (maybe) but happy life. Hugs and noserubs to all of you xxxxx

And now we are faced with the opposite situation.

Somehow, despite being a bad of bones (that stage where the head looks waaaaaaaaaay too big for the body) and very ill, Dusk is very much alive, well and happy. Candyfloss is still alive and happy but over the last 48 hours has become increasing ill. We have suspicions of what it is, but nothing can be done about it, really, only management stuff, and, at this point, I'm more worried her body is going to give up on her before we can do anything.

So, if she goes, I'm then left with Dusk. Dusk is an entirely different personality and could be rebonded, but I suspect he is now too ill to be rebonded and the fact that his steroids make him like a duracell, hormonal teen bunny are not going to lead him to being in favour with dominant bunnies of my other pairs.

So now I'm faced having to decide whether it's kindest to let him go, when I let her go. If I keep him alive, then he will be alone and he is a very sociable bunny. I'm not sure how much stress his body can take because he is so very frail.

These decisions are the ones that really hurt.

((HUGS))

Its awful watching them get old, and knowing decisions have to be made.

Could you give Dusk a chance as a solo bun and see how when gets on? Perhaps with other buns in sight.

And now we are faced with the opposite situation.

Somehow, despite being a bad of bones (that stage where the head looks waaaaaaaaaay too big for the body) and very ill, Dusk is very much alive, well and happy. Candyfloss is still alive and happy but over the last 48 hours has become increasing ill. We have suspicions of what it is, but nothing can be done about it, really, only management stuff, and, at this point, I'm more worried her body is going to give up on her before we can do anything.

So, if she goes, I'm then left with Dusk. Dusk is an entirely different personality and could be rebonded, but I suspect he is now too ill to be rebonded and the fact that his steroids make him like a duracell, hormonal teen bunny are not going to lead him to being in favour with dominant bunnies of my other pairs.

So now I'm faced having to decide whether it's kindest to let him go, when I let her go. If I keep him alive, then he will be alone and he is a very sociable bunny. I'm not sure how much stress his body can take because he is so very frail.

These decisions are the ones that really hurt.

Oh my goodness I'm sorry to hear this. I have had a situation which sounds so similar to your own in the past. It was very difficult, and I did a lot of soul searching and 'asking' the rabbits what they wanted me to do. It absolutely felt like the right decision for us, and I decided to let both buns go together.

Sending (((( hugs )))) to you at this difficult time x

Thank you. We are now back from the vets.

Candyfloss had a rapidly growing mass in her right lung and it wasn't making a huge impact on Thursday, but today, the impact and the noises her lungs were making and how much her eyes were bulging, were huge. So, given the rapidity, even though she was still very bright in herself, we let her go.

I explained to the vets about the pair, and asked her to examine Dusk. She said his chest sounded bad, and that, despite the fact he has lost a third of his body weight (down from 1.5kg to 1.0kg) his liver was incredibly large. He has no reserves and whilst he too was still bright, we both felt that given how ill he was and also given his dependence on her, that it was kindest to let him go too.

My vet said that very few people would have had the guts to do what I did and how it was totally the right thing for them both, given the circumstances.

To say I am heartbroken doesn't even come close.

Three bunnies, two weeks. Two bunnies, one day.

I am now down to ten.

Last edited:
Thank you. We are now back from the vets.

Candyfloss had a rapidly growing massive in her right lung and it wasn't making a huge impact on Thursday, but today, the impact and the noises her lungs were making and how much her eyes were bulging, were huge. So, given the rapidity, even though she was still very bright in herself, we let her go.

I explained to the vets about the pair, and asked her to examine Dusk. She said his chest sounded bad, and that, despite the fact he has lost a third of his body weight (down from 1.5kg to 1.0kg) his liver was incredibly large. He has no reserves and whilst he too was still bright, we both felt that given how ill he was and also given his dependence on her, that it was kindest to let him go too.

My vet said that very few people would have had the guts to do what I did and how it was totally the right thing for them both, given the circumstances.

To say I am heartbroken doesn't even come close.

Three bunnies, two weeks. Two bunnies, one day.

I am now down to ten.

(((( hugs )))) I am so sorry. You did the very kindest thing.

Thinking of you x

Oh I'm so very, very sorry to read this thread :( I think you did absolutely the right thing; your beloved bunnies were able to slip away peacefully together without further stress on poorly bodies. Definitely not an easy decision but a very brave and kind one. Big hugs xxx

I'm so sorry to read this. You have done an amazingly brave and selfless thing. Just shows what a fantastic bunny mummy you are. Sending hugs.

Binky free together at the bridge Candyfloss and Dusk, your mummy loved you very much. X

Thank you all. They are both ok and now, together, at the crem. They will be cremated together, go into their photobox in the same pouch, and be inseparable for ever.

Oh my goodness :cry: I am so so sorry but what a truly kind and selfless thing you did for your beloved bunnies.

Many (((((hugs)))))

Sweet dreams Candyfloss and Dusk - together forever xx

Back