• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hay do you use?

I buy my hay in large bales from an agricultural merchant, it costs me £5.75 and would last ages if it was just the bunnies eating it :thumb:

I get a mixture, cheap stuff from sainsburys for his litter tray and T&R from hay4pets for his hay rack

After reading about it on here I went and bought a bag of Timothy hay with dandelion from B&M. It was £1.99 for 1kg and I have to say I'm pretty impressed! It looks good, nice long strands ( rather than the short fluffy stuff you often get with cheap hay!) and Pete went straight for it!

I get a bale of meadow hay from a local farmer for £2.50, that lasts me a month or so for two buns, depending on how much free range time they get and how often I have to clean them out.
In spring and autumn they get an hour or two of grass feeding so eat less hay and can go 2 or 3 days between completely emptying hay trays so I use less than summer or winter.
Before that I used bagged hay but it would only last a week or two. Of course, now they turn their noses up at bagged hay if I need to use it in an emergency :roll:

I got my last lot from timothyhay.co.uk it was the first time I'd used them but i was amazed at the delivery speed, a lot quicker (and cheaper) than the company I'd previously been using - its good stuff too, the rabbits love it & it sets my hayfever off in a serious fashion!

I buy a bale for a fiver a time, six weeks worth roughly. Then every now and then I buy the Alfalfa King oat, wheat and barley or timothy which I keep in as a treat. Mine love it but it is very dusty.

Back