• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis brought on by stress of cats?

magically

Warren Scout
For the past two days, I've let Elsie out in her run for a couple of hours [long story short, her run broke and we got another one built but it needs adjustments before it can be used full time] and I've noticed that about 5-6 cats congregate around the garden when she's out in her run. :( Today, we had to take her to the vet because of suspected stasis. She's still recovering but now I'm really deflated because what if this happens every time she's out in her run? One of the cats even jumped on top of the run.

Two of the cats are ours, but the other three to four aren't. So obviously even if we bring ours in, there's still going to be cats hanging around.

The other option that the vet mentioned was the stress of Arthur coming, but I'm not entirely sure that could be it considering he's been here two weeks and she's only been out in her run for the past few days.

Any suggestions? Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm worried she'll never be able to go out in her run. Vet suggested a hidey hole in her run but may not cure issue.

Is the run on grass ? If so she may have eaten too much rich Spring grass.

Nope. I considered that too!
There is tiny bits of grass in between the paving slabs but really tiny, like moss sized if you will. No where near enough to cause a reaction.

If there isn't a hidey hole in her run, then yes I would think it could be stress brought on by that environment - although not necessarily by the cats. Because they are prey animals, rabbits need places to hide and escape to feel safe, if the run has a 'cover' but nowhere actually to hide, then that will be a stressful rather than an interesting environment for a bunny, and obviously the cats will make that worse. She won't understand that the pen means they can't get to her, she will just be aware that there are predators and that she has nowhere to run. I would suggest putting various boxes and hides in her run with her - it doesn't have to be much more than a couple of cardboard boxes and a pet carrier - so that she has places she feels she can retreat to. If at all possible, I'd suggest attaching the run to her hutch somehow (for instance via runaround tunnels if you can't get it next to it) so that she is always able to get back to her hutch if she wants to.

Good luck :)

If there isn't a hidey hole in her run, then yes I would think it could be stress brought on by that environment - although not necessarily by the cats. Because they are prey animals, rabbits need places to hide and escape to feel safe, if the run has a 'cover' but nowhere actually to hide, then that will be a stressful rather than an interesting environment for a bunny, and obviously the cats will make that worse. She won't understand that the pen means they can't get to her, she will just be aware that there are predators and that she has nowhere to run. I would suggest putting various boxes and hides in her run with her - it doesn't have to be much more than a couple of cardboard boxes and a pet carrier - so that she has places she feels she can retreat to. If at all possible, I'd suggest attaching the run to her hutch somehow (for instance via runaround tunnels if you can't get it next to it) so that she is always able to get back to her hutch if she wants to.

Good luck :)

The plan is to eventually attach it via runaround tunnels, we even have it all connected to the hutch though currently shut off with a door. We need to fix the mesh on the run which is currently chicken wire, to the correct mesh. In the meantime I've been letting her out in it every day supervised. Not ideal I know, but definitely not a long term thing. :D

Thank you for your advice regarding hides too! I have a few things that would work, will it not take away from her running space though? I have a tunnel, an igloo and a pet carrier. I could probably find some other things like cardboard boxes too.

The plan is to eventually attach it via runaround tunnels, we even have it all connected to the hutch though currently shut off with a door. We need to fix the mesh on the run which is currently chicken wire, to the correct mesh. In the meantime I've been letting her out in it every day supervised. Not ideal I know, but definitely not a long term thing. :D

Thank you for your advice regarding hides too! I have a few things that would work, will it not take away from her running space though? I have a tunnel, an igloo and a pet carrier. I could probably find some other things like cardboard boxes too.

Depending how big the run is, buns do binkies and runs in the smallest of spaces, and she could maybe run around the boxes or even over them?
To be honest, it's better to have her less stressed and with less actual 'running space' than for her to be fearful of cats.

Attaching her run to the hutch is a great idea, so she can retreat and feel safe any time she wishes.

I had an idea to stop the cats jumping on top of the run - don't know how/if this would work for you? You could put some taller poles at each corner of the run and hang some of the flimsy 'strawberry' netting as a drape over the top, making sure it came down the side so the cats would have nothing to leap on to. You'd have to educate your cats not to try though, as they'd get tangled in it ...

Santa has given great advice. I think your Rabbits will do much better with having places to run into and this will be of more benefit than having a lot of 'empty space'. Tunnels are great as the Rabbits can run through them should the choose to do so, so the tunnel is providing 'safety' but not really taking away running space :)

Depending how big the run is, buns do binkies and runs in the smallest of spaces, and she could maybe run around the boxes or even over them?
To be honest, it's better to have her less stressed and with less actual 'running space' than for her to be fearful of cats.

Attaching her run to the hutch is a great idea, so she can retreat and feel safe any time she wishes.

I had an idea to stop the cats jumping on top of the run - don't know how/if this would work for you? You could put some taller poles at each corner of the run and hang some of the flimsy 'strawberry' netting as a drape over the top, making sure it came down the side so the cats would have nothing to leap on to. You'd have to educate your cats not to try though, as they'd get tangled in it ...

Santa has given great advice. I think your Rabbits will do much better with having places to run into and this will be of more benefit than having a lot of 'empty space'. Tunnels are great as the Rabbits can run through them should the choose to do so, so the tunnel is providing 'safety' but not really taking away running space :)

Thank you both for your advice! I'll definitely put stuff in there, thank you so much for explaining too. Feel like such a novice!

Elsie has unfortunately gone downhill again and she's going back to the vets at 4.15pm. She's a little confusing in some ways. There's been a lot of poo, which is obviously great after suspected stasis but equally I'm not entirely sure how because she's not really eating? I've offered her two varieties of hay, coriander, spring greens, a strawberry, a tiny bit of grass, peppermint tea, recovery food, pellets, oats and warm water. Out of all those offerings, she's had a tiny nibble of coriander, one small mouthful of grass and a small bowl full of pellets in the past 18-20 hours.

She also seems to be holding one ear down every now and then, which makes me wonder whether it could be an ear infection maybe? The pain would cause stasis wouldn't it? In all honesty, I don't really want to take her to the vets. She got herself so stressed out yesterday, she shakes so badly in cars, I can't see how it will help her. But the vet wants to see her, even though they can't admit her today? Yesterday they gave her a gut stimulant injection and recovery food to be syringed. Should she have been given metacam too?

Thank you both for your advice! I'll definitely put stuff in there, thank you so much for explaining too. Feel like such a novice!

Elsie has unfortunately gone downhill again and she's going back to the vets at 4.15pm. She's a little confusing in some ways. There's been a lot of poo, which is obviously great after suspected stasis but equally I'm not entirely sure how because she's not really eating? I've offered her two varieties of hay, coriander, spring greens, a strawberry, a tiny bit of grass, peppermint tea, recovery food, pellets, oats and warm water. Out of all those offerings, she's had a tiny nibble of coriander, one small mouthful of grass and a small bowl full of pellets in the past 18-20 hours.

She also seems to be holding one ear down every now and then, which makes me wonder whether it could be an ear infection maybe? The pain would cause stasis wouldn't it? In all honesty, I don't really want to take her to the vets. She got herself so stressed out yesterday, she shakes so badly in cars, I can't see how it will help her. But the vet wants to see her, even though they can't admit her today? Yesterday they gave her a gut stimulant injection and recovery food to be syringed. Should she have been given metacam too?

Yes, ear pain is definitely a possibility. And yes, she should have had pain relief too. If she does have an ear infection she will also need abx.

I assume the Vet ruled out dental problems ?

Yes, ear pain is definitely a possibility. And yes, she should have had pain relief too. If she does have an ear infection she will also need abx.

I assume the Vet ruled out dental problems ?

Vet checked teeth whilst we were there, she did a full body exam. She said she had some slight somethings? I can't remember the word, on her upper right teeth, but nothing that would cause this at all. She said it wouldn't be something she'd worry about for now, but something to keep an eye on in the future.

I did think that she needed pain relief. Bit frustrating that really considering they should have given me that yesterday, so now today I'll have to pay for it all over again. [Consultation fee, potentially a gut stimulant, recovery food and pain relief]

Vet checked teeth whilst we were there, she did a full body exam. She said she had some slight somethings? I can't remember the word, on her upper right teeth, but nothing that would cause this at all. She said it wouldn't be something she'd worry about for now, but something to keep an eye on in the future.

I did think that she needed pain relief. Bit frustrating that really considering they should have given me that yesterday, so now today I'll have to pay for it all over again. [Consultation fee, potentially a gut stimulant, recovery food and pain relief]

Was the word 'spurs' ?

It is certainly worth getting the Vet to have another good look in her ears and to feel around the ear bases for any lumps and/or tenderness.

Thanks for replying ... I'm sorry to hear things are not too good. From what you say I would definitely go back to the vet and make sure you get both antibiotics and pain relief so that you are not stuck over the weekend with nothing to give a bunny who may be in pain with an ear infection. Ear infections are incredibly painful!

I should have a chat with your vet about possible treatment options. I take it you have faith in your vet? So long as you do, and they are thorough, I would go with what they say ....

Was the word 'spurs' ?

It is certainly worth getting the Vet to have another good look in her ears and to feel around the ear bases for any lumps and/or tenderness.

No, I've had a rabbit with spurs who needed frequent dentals. Wasn't ridges either. I'll ask her when I see her today!
Brilliant, I'll mention that! Thank you so much!

Thanks for replying ... I'm sorry to hear things are not too good. From what you say I would definitely go back to the vet and make sure you get both antibiotics and pain relief so that you are not stuck over the weekend with nothing to give a bunny who may be in pain with an ear infection. Ear infections are incredibly painful!

I should have a chat with your vet about possible treatment options. I take it you have faith in your vet? So long as you do, and they are thorough, I would go with what they say ....

Oh you're most welcome. I'm just hoping that she'll give them! I don't want to seem like I'm asking for everything, but equally enough wasn't given yesterday. I sort of have faith in them, she seemed very knowledgeable but if she should have given pain relief, then that's not a very good sign is it? :( I've owned rabbits for ten years this year, and in that whole time, I haven't found one rabbit savvy vet, and believe me I've tried many. The vets in question is one that a member on here uses, Shuttleworth Vets in Rossendale. I think she's called minilop1 or something like that? She just got a yorkshire terrier for her grandad?

Elsie also had a [very slight] head tilt for about an hour yesterday, but it disappeared. I know I wasn't imagining it because my mum agreed.

No, I've had a rabbit with spurs who needed frequent dentals. Wasn't ridges either. I'll ask her when I see her today!
Brilliant, I'll mention that! Thank you so much!

Oh you're most welcome. I'm just hoping that she'll give them! I don't want to seem like I'm asking for everything, but equally enough wasn't given yesterday. I sort of have faith in them, she seemed very knowledgeable but if she should have given pain relief, then that's not a very good sign is it? :( I've owned rabbits for ten years this year, and in that whole time, I haven't found one rabbit savvy vet, and believe me I've tried many. The vets in question is one that a member on here uses, Shuttleworth Vets in Rossendale. I think she's called minilop1 or something like that? She just got a yorkshire terrier for her grandad?

Elsie also had a [very slight] head tilt for about an hour yesterday, but it disappeared. I know I wasn't imagining it because my mum agreed.

Head tilt, as you probably know, can be a sign of ear infection or E.C.

I don't want to heap more onto you .... but I suppose you could discuss the issue of head tilt/ ear infection with the vet, and to cover all bases until you know exactly what's going on, it would be good to give:

Pancur
Antibiotics (a good long course)
Metcam (for any pain, and also to curb any inflammation potentially caused by EC).

Please try not to worry about asking your vet for too much. Remember, we pay them and not the other way round :lol:
A good vet should be impressed by your level of care and competence :thumb:

Head tilt, as you probably know, can be a sign of ear infection or E.C.

I don't want to heap more onto you .... but I suppose you could discuss the issue of head tilt/ ear infection with the vet, and to cover all bases until you know exactly what's going on, it would be good to give:

Pancur
Antibiotics (a good long course)
Metcam (for any pain, and also to curb any inflammation potentially caused by EC).

Please try not to worry about asking your vet for too much. Remember, we pay them and not the other way round :lol:
A good vet should be impressed by your level of care and competence :thumb:

OH no please do! I was well aware about both EC and the possibility of an ear infection, but perhaps foolishly presumed that it couldn't be seeing as the head tilt disappeared.
The vet was very impressed with what I knew, which was a nice compliment but I need to buck up and not be afraid to speak out I think! I think it stems from being accused of a hypocondriac when I asked my doctor for pain relief. :roll: You make a very good point with the payment though! And believe me, after todays visit and the chance of a possible admission tomorrow, boy am I gonna be able to tell I pay them! :lol:

Just an update, hope no one minds me bumping this up! Elsie is now completely back to normal, I am so relieved! :D
I've never really dealt with stasis like this before, it's been an absolutely awful few days but what a relief. Thank you all so much for your advice!

Just an update, hope no one minds me bumping this up! Elsie is now completely back to normal, I am so relieved! :D
I've never really dealt with stasis like this before, it's been an absolutely awful few days but what a relief. Thank you all so much for your advice!

Oh thank goodness !! Well done Elsie and well done you for nursing her back to health :D

Thanks for posting such a great update :thumb:

You must be highly relieved! xx

Back