• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maddie's not quite right

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I've had Millie and Maddie for over a year now and for 12 months of that they had no problems apart from a broken nail. Then at the end of January I got up one morning and Maddie didn't come out for her pellets and refused to eat. Off to the vets we went, she had a slow moving gut, was given an injection and we syringe fed her some stuff that evening and by 10pm she was doing flops. The next morning she snatched her pellets off me as normal and she's been fine since then.

Until this morning. She did eat her pellets but then when I put them away to go to work she let Millie eat her broccoli which is unheard off. I gave her a fenugreek crunchie which she did eat but very slowly and then gave them a little bit of readigrass to see what she did and she ignored it, also unheard of. I've come home on my lunch break and she's not hiding which is good but she doesn't seem like her normal self still.

We're going to the vets this evening. Both of them need their claws cut anyway so I'll get the vet to check her out.

How can it be that she had no issue for a year and then possibly twice in 6 weeks when there's been no change to food, rountine or anything? :(

You dont mention anything about her poo output? What comes out is as relevant as what goes in :)

Has she had her teeth checked ?

Is she drinking any more or less than normal ?

Is her wee output normal and her weight stable ?

Has she been out on the grass in the last few days ?

Hope she is back to normal soon, good luck at the Vets xx

I've had Millie and Maddie for over a year now and for 12 months of that they had no problems apart from a broken nail. Then at the end of January I got up one morning and Maddie didn't come out for her pellets and refused to eat. Off to the vets we went, she had a slow moving gut, was given an injection and we syringe fed her some stuff that evening and by 10pm she was doing flops. The next morning she snatched her pellets off me as normal and she's been fine since then.

Until this morning. She did eat her pellets but then when I put them away to go to work she let Millie eat her broccoli which is unheard off. I gave her a fenugreek crunchie which she did eat but very slowly and then gave them a little bit of readigrass to see what she did and she ignored it, also unheard of. I've come home on my lunch break and she's not hiding which is good but she doesn't seem like her normal self still.

We're going to the vets this evening. Both of them need their claws cut anyway so I'll get the vet to check her out.

How can it be that she had no issue for a year and then possibly twice in 6 weeks when there's been no change to food, rountine or anything? :(

My first thought would be teeth ... problems can creep up, small to begin with, then unmanageable. If there's been absolutely no change to normal routine, the vet will hopefully shed more light on things .....

You dont mention anything about her poo output? What comes out is as relevant as what goes in :)

Has she had her teeth checked ?

Is she drinking any more or less than normal ?

Is her wee output normal and her weight stable ?

Has she been out on the grass in the last few days ?

Hope she is back to normal soon, good luck at the Vets xx

Her output's been normal as far as I can tell with two bunnies, the usual amount in the litter tray and the usual shape. I haven't filled their water bowl any more than usual either. They don't go outside so no grass.

The vet said last time her back teeth were slightly longer but not enough to concern the vet or bother Maddie. Perhaps they've grown more? They both eat a lot of hay though and haven't eaten any less recently so I don't know why they wouldn't be getting worn down now when for a year previously they had been. She was a perkier when I'm left but we'll go to the vet and see what she thinks.

Would picked grass be good for their teeth or doesn't it make much difference? (As opposed to hay) I could introduce it in addition to hay like a vegetable or might it cause gas?

Would picked grass be good for their teeth or doesn't it make much difference? (As opposed to hay) I could introduce it in addition to hay like a vegetable or might it cause gas?

As hay is dried grass, it's just as good for the teeth. You have to be careful of too much young rich grass at this time of year, as it can cause bloat. Readigrass is fine though.

Sometimes if the teeth are long, no matter how much grinding they do, they can't wear down as the molars are not opposing each other (if that makes sense). A dental should grind them down to the same (lower) level x

Well she seemed completely back to normal when I got home from work. Thumped a lot when I tried to get in the vet box. The vet said her teeth didn't look any worse and weren't any cause for concern. Plus her gut sounded normal too. Then she clipped their nails and Maddie gave me a bite for good measure for taking her to the vets when there was nothing wrong with her. Cheeky madam.

Is Maddie moulting much? If so, that may be why so is not quite her usual self. Thank goodness she seems to be back to normal.

Is Maddie moulting much? If so, that may be why so is not quite her usual self. Thank goodness she seems to be back to normal.

Millie's moulting a lot and Mads grooms her. I thought that probably doesn't help so I bought a zoom groom brush today to try and help. They both hate being brushed and always try and eat it! A lot of hair ended up on me at the vets.

Her output's been normal as far as I can tell with two bunnies, the usual amount in the litter tray and the usual shape. I haven't filled their water bowl any more than usual either. They don't go outside so no grass.

The vet said last time her back teeth were slightly longer but not enough to concern the vet or bother Maddie. Perhaps they've grown more? They both eat a lot of hay though and haven't eaten any less recently so I don't know why they wouldn't be getting worn down now when for a year previously they had been. She was a perkier when I'm left but we'll go to the vet and see what she thinks.

In regards to the teeth, even though normal eating and tooth to tooth contact will wear the tops of the teeth; the teeth can also get spurs or points on the cheek or tongue side that can cause the rabbit discomfort. Teeth roots can also grow and get other problems.
Bunnies can get stasis for so many reasons it may be difficult to tell the cause in some cases, especially if the bunny is perkier by the time you get to the vet.

Well she seemed completely back to normal when I got home from work. Thumped a lot when I tried to get in the vet box. The vet said her teeth didn't look any worse and weren't any cause for concern. Plus her gut sounded normal too. Then she clipped their nails and Maddie gave me a bite for good measure for taking her to the vets when there was nothing wrong with her. Cheeky madam.

Ouch!! :shock::lol:

Back