• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick Question Regarding Post Operative Bunny. Advice Please.

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
My Nutmeg is 24 hours post spay and went back to the vets just now for her checkup. All good but I forgot to ask the vet about placing her back with her litter mates so asked the nurses and they said NOT to put her back in with them until her stitches come out in 10 days time!?!

The problem is that I only have a small indoor cage which she slept in overnight. I used it for when my male was neutered but he was allowed to go back with his litter after his vet checkup the following day. I can't keep her cooped up in the cage for ten days and furthermore my other female is having her spay next Wednesday.

Yes, it would have been ideal to get them spayed together but Nutmeg was urgent because she had become rather aggressive and was attacking the other two and the vets only has space for one spay.

Is it right that I can't return her to the hutch and run? I had not anticipated this.

I have always kept bonded pairs together when one is neutered. A Doe does need to be kept in a relatively confined space for about 7 days after the op' and prevented from jumping up on things. If she had started to squabble with her companion(s) prior to the op' this wont necessarily stop immediately afterwards. Putting her back in with the group now may involve a bit of a fracas and she is not in a fit enough state to cope with that. So I would be wary of putting her back in with a group at the moment, not unless the group can be supervised all the time which I doubt would be possible for you.

Could she have some time out of the cage whilst there is someone around to watch her ?

Personally I wouldn't return her for at least 5 days. This is the absolute minimum and others might not agree even with this. My does aren't allowed to do anything before they have their stitches out. She has had a major operation and you don't want anything to go wrong at this early stage. Supposing she got in a fight with one of the others (after being at the Vets she will smell differently and her litter mates might attack her) or she may start to run or jump? She needs to be kept spotlessly clean and quiet until she is on the road to recovery. The same applies to the other doe.

So I am not been cruel keeping her in the confines of the cage? It is just over 3 feet by 1 & 1/2 feet. I have created a little sleep area using a plastic crate which is not too high and she is already popping on top of that to survey her world. There is another level to the indoor cage but the ramp is too steep and I fear she would hurt herself.

I most definitely can give her some fully supervised time with her brother and sister and on a warmer day as we have been having, I can place her cage in the run to be closer to her siblings. Is this okay?

So I am not been cruel keeping her in the confines of the cage? It is just over 3 feet by 1 & 1/2 feet. I have created a little sleep area using a plastic crate which is not too high and she is already popping on top of that to survey her world. There is another level to the indoor cage but the ramp is too steep and I fear she would hurt herself.

I most definitely can give her some fully supervised time with her brother and sister and on a warmer day as we have been having, I can place her cage in the run to be closer to her siblings. Is this okay?

Yes I think it's a good idea to keep her cage closer to her siblings - let them all know they are still a 'team'. Though you may have a bit of 'patch up' bonding to do when both girls have had their spays ...

I agree with Tonibun. Five days is a minimum. Shame your vet didn't use 'internal' stitches which she can't pick at when bored (I hope she isn't!). Giving her supervised running time - with or without the others - is a great idea x

No you are not being 'cruel' at all !! If you put her cage in the run with her siblings then you will need to watch out for referred aggression. Once away from the group she may be seen as an 'outsider' when she is put back near them. This can cause squabbles between the Rabbits who can 'get at' each other even if they cannot gain direct access to the 'outsider'.

All in all it will be a case of remaining vigilant that the post spay Doe does not exert herself and that the siblings dont fall out amongst themselves when the post spay Doe and her cage are put in/right next to their territory.

Back