• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did the booster injection affect your rabbits behaviour?

HelenSB

Warren Scout
Mr Higgins had his booster injection on Tuesday and since then he's become a devil rabbit. Before he was docile and really wasn't any trouble at all. Now he's constantly chewing the carpet and jumping in the window and trying to eat the plants and flowers. It's like he's a different rabbit. I'm struggling with him now as I'm not feeling well and it's starting to make me tearful. Do you think this behaviour is down to the injection and the effects will eventually wear off? I want my Mr Higgins back.

Mine have never done anything differently after their boosters. Maybe it is more to do with the travelling / being in a carrier / change of routine that he is objecting to. If there is nothing at the injection site (eg small raised lump) and he is eating / pooing as normal, I would just leave him to settle down in a day or so. Maybe try diverting his attention to some nice yummy greens, grass or hay (maybe in a 'new' box or tube) that he can have / destroy instead.

He seems healthy enough. His poo's are smaller than normal but that in itself is 'normal' for Mr Higgins. I think it's a sign that's he's not eating enough hay so I'm cutting down on veg and treats for a while and encouraging him to eat more hay. I can't see or feel any bumps on him so I'm assuming he's not having a bad reaction to the injection. In the last half hour he seems to have calmed down a bit and is resting. I so hope he's on his way back to being his normal self. Thanks for replying. I'm quite stressed out today.

Sorry, I'm still quite new to all this rabbit owning. What do you mean by 'spring fever.' Sorry, if that's a silly question.

Rabbits respond to changes in the seasons and as Spring approaches they can become very ebullient, for the want of a better word !! Even neutered Rabbits can display a degree of 'hormonal' behaviour- eg lots of digging and nipping and chasing. Some may hump their companions too :roll:

Ah i see. I'd not heard of that before but it certainly makes sense. Mr Higgins has been neutered and at the moment is a lone bunny. Maybe it's that then. Thanks for letting me know I was getting very concerned. He has settled down a bit this afternoon so maybe it was a coincidence that he's behaving like this just after his boosters. Thanks again all. Where would I be without RU!

Mr Higgins had his booster injection on Tuesday and since then he's become a devil rabbit. Before he was docile and really wasn't any trouble at all. Now he's constantly chewing the carpet and jumping in the window and trying to eat the plants and flowers. It's like he's a different rabbit. I'm struggling with him now as I'm not feeling well and it's starting to make me tearful. Do you think this behaviour is down to the injection and the effects will eventually wear off? I want my Mr Higgins back.

I often notice a change in behaviour, but it's more along the lines of 'not feeling 100%', so not really what you're describing with Mr Higgins.

Maybe he senses your not very well and it's his way of cheering you up? (I meant that half-joking - but animals do pick up on our moods!)

Ah i see. I'd not heard of that before but it certainly makes sense. Mr Higgins has been neutered and at the moment is a lone bunny. Maybe it's that then. Thanks for letting me know I was getting very concerned. He has settled down a bit this afternoon so maybe it was a coincidence that he's behaving like this just after his boosters. Thanks again all. Where would I be without RU!

Well I expect Mr H reckons that if you have allowed a pesky Vet to whip away his 'crown jewels' and the stick a needle in him he has every right to have a few 'ebullient' moments !!

Well I expect Mr H reckons that if you have allowed a pesky Vet to whip away his 'crown jewels' and the stick a needle in him he has every right to have a few 'ebullient' moments !!

Hehe....maybe that's exactly what he's thinking! He has calmed down a lot this afternoon. No more climbing in the window and very little carpet chewing. He is following me around though. If I pop upstairs he's sat at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me....lol. Now I've educated myself on the joys of spring fever I shall relax a bit. It hasn't helped that I've poorly for a couple of days but as I improve I'm sure Mr Higgins will too. (Well fingers crossed). Thanks again for all your replies everyone.

Hehe....maybe that's exactly what he's thinking! He has calmed down a lot this afternoon. No more climbing in the window and very little carpet chewing. He is following me around though. If I pop upstairs he's sat at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me....lol. Now I've educated myself on the joys of spring fever I shall relax a bit. It hasn't helped that I've poorly for a couple of days but as I improve I'm sure Mr Higgins will too. (Well fingers crossed). Thanks again for all your replies everyone.

Does Mr Higgins think Spring is over already then? How disappointing ;):lol:

Back