• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby rabbit caught by cat.. RIP baby Celandine

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've had a phone call from a friend tonight whose neighbour is trying to work out what best to do for a bunny that her cat has caught.

I've been told the bunny is about 4 inches long, here's a photo:

from the photo I'm guessing it is very young

When on the phone to my friend I didn't know what to advise re re-releasing it or trying to care for it, but now I see the picture I'm making a guess it's too young to survive if they tried to release it?

Help!!! Anybody with experience/knowledge as to what best to do for the little mite?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have never cared for such a young bunny so cannot offer any advice. Hopefully someone with experience will be along very soon.

Fingers crossed this little darling manages to survive after the attack by the cat.:(

I don't think he can be just let go, he is very young. Comparing him to my baby wildie Cookie, I would guess he is 4-5 weeks old, no more than 5 weeks in my opinion.

Cats carry lots of nasty bacteria on their teeth and claws if he is scratched/bitten, then these would need to be treated. We had to bathe baby Cookie's back with very dilute Hibiscrub, but his scratches were only superficial.

Do you have a wildlife rescue/hospital in your area?

I've identified a wildlife hospital in Thirsk so about 30 - 40 miles away. I don't know the lady who is caring for the rabbit (the neighbour of a colleague) but e-mailed back on the address where they sent the picture. Previous suggestion on age was 10 days, so 4 - 5 weeks would be more positive for survival. Unfortunately FHB's practice doesn't do OOH on Wednesday otherwise I'd have rung there.

Last edited:
ooh yes the Wildlife Haven are fab and have a 24 hour helpline. I drive for them sometimes. They will definitely be able to advise and probably be able to take bunny in.

I would have said nearer 10 days - than older. It needs feeding asap with milk - double strength powder puppy milk made up sterile and fed with a teat.

It will need feed soon.

Would offer t help but Thirsk is a LONG way from us (Peterborough)

I would have said nearer 10 days - than older. It needs feeding asap with milk - double strength powder puppy milk made up sterile and fed with a teat.

It will need feed soon.

Would offer t help but Thirsk is a LONG way from us (Peterborough)

Where would I get puppy milk?

I'm in a tricky situation as it would take all my courage to drive to Thirsk in daylight with loads of preparation. The rabbit itself is 10 miles away from me.

I've rung Wildlife Haven but got an answer machine so far. will try again, there was a mobile for emergencies, I guess this counts?

Looking at the pic again, I do think younger than 4 weeks. Can't tell whether his eyes are open, Cookie opened his eyes at 10 days, by that time he had changed from black to agouti colouring like your pic. He was much smaller than 4" at 10 days old though. Cookie started to be mobile once his eyes were open, but he was wobbly and walked rather than hopped.

There will be photos on Cookie's thread for a comparison, if you search for Cookie. I can't look at or read the thread as it is still too upsetting for me, losing him is something that I will never get over.

Would be good to get him to a wildlife hospital. I hope he will be OK.

I'm trying to get the rabbit here so I can take it from there as it could be quite late when it gets sorted.

I've now been told it's eyes are closed and I think from your description re mobility that it is 7 - 10 days at the most, sadly.

I doubt I could get it to Thirsk tonight as I have no sense of direction. The best I could do tonight is keep it warm and try go get some puppy milk.

Looking at the pic again, I do think younger than 4 weeks. Can't tell whether his eyes are open, Cookie opened his eyes at 10 days, by that time he had changed from black to agouti colouring like your pic. He was much smaller than 4" at 10 days old though. Cookie started to be mobile once his eyes were open, but he was wobbly and walked rather than hopped.

There will be photos on Cookie's thread for a comparison, if you search for Cookie. I can't look at or read the thread as it is still too upsetting for me, losing him is something that I will never get over.

Would be good to get him to a wildlife hospital. I hope he will be OK.

I thought about Cookie when I contemplated taking this one on, I knew of the potential heartbreak that was in store.

I don't see any harm ringing the mobile - if they're busy doing feeds leave a message and they'll call back. Hope the little guy makes it through the night. I don't think it's been said but I would also give it a Snugglesafe if possible.

I have kitten milk here which we used to feed Cookie. Can you get milk tonight? If not, I can drive up. You feed it double strength (as advised by Halfpenny) as bunny milk is very rich.

We raised Cookie from 3 days old. We got him to 5 weeks old, but he then died unexpectedly. Your baby is older than Cookie, so has a better start.

I don't see any harm ringing the mobile - if they're busy doing feeds leave a message and they'll call back. Hope the little guy makes it through the night. I don't think it's been said but I would also give it a Snugglesafe if possible.

Thanks. I've emailed the lady with the rabbit (I don't have a phone number) I won't ring the Wildlife Haven again until I hear further as I haven't actually got the rabbit so don't even know if it's still alive. When I get contact etc I'll try ringing them.

Could you take him on Tracy? I know how sad you feel about Cookie but obviously you had done really really well -

a 10 day old bun has a much better chance as has had mothers milk for its guts for that much longer. Pippin had his eyes just open when we got him so about 9 days old and he did really well.

Last edited:
Bunny Buddy - 4inches is quite long - maybe eyes are closed with fear or tiredness?

The box does not give anywhere for it to hide or snuggle - get them to put some soft cloth in there.

Suspect in shock - should be kept warm.

Bunny Buddy - 4inches is quite long - maybe eyes are closed with fear or tiredness?

The box does not give anywhere for it to hide or snuggle - get them to put some soft cloth in there.

Suspect in shock - should be kept warm.

I'm getting the impression that 4" is just a red herring. It's what I was told but I was really surprised when I saw the picture as it doesn't tally. The lady with the rabbit has emailed me to say that she would bring the rabbit to me tomorrow, ie apx 12 hours from now as she needs to go to bed. I've rung my friend (next door neighbour) to ask if she can get the rabbit off her and I'll come and collect it as it will be dead in the morning. I've no idea what I'm going to do about feeding it but will stay up all night to try and save it if I have to!

yes you are right it will be- gone by morning if just left -

it needs warmth and something soft and at the very very least some water - even if you cannot find milk.

The mother would be feeding once or twice a day and usually at night so it may be due a feed and need that.

They are very slow to take to the teat so the first 24-48 hrs it wont get much milk anyway - so action asap!

just going to collect the bunny. It will take apx an hour there and back.

If anyone wants to leave gems of advice in the meantime please do!

Is there any sort of milk from a supermarket I can get that would help - I think Jane fed the pet shop 5 on goat's milk??

Back