• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wheelie bin

Hope everyone is well, been a while as hectic!
Just wondering what if any one uses a wheelie bin not only to store hay but has any one used as a giant hay feeder?

So as well as storing a bale in it I'm thinking of cutting a hole low down, covering with large 2" hole weld mesh a putting it into the run, they can eat from the bottom and I can use from the top.

It then frees up space in the shed.

So has any one done it and do they use a 120ltr or 240ltr wheelie bin? Any piccies would be appreciated 😀👍

Thanks xx

I haven't, but absolutely great idea! I'd say the only worry would be if the bin moved over them, I know it's unlikely but it may be a good idea to remove the feet!

I'd suggest using a red hot knife, whenever I do anything to plastic I always use an old knife, get it scalding on the hob and use it to melt holes/lines as I find it doesn't leave any sharp edges at all and is quite satisfying as it slides through the plastic. You'd need to reheat it a good few times to get through such thick plastic but it also eliminates any risk of the plastic splitting as it may do using a saw or power tool.

Good luck!

No I don't use it as a hay rack but I do have a 240 litre Wheeliebin for hay storage - you need the biggest size for hay bales - they fill it up. 120 litre would be too small.

I got mine from the internet - its bright yellow - I picked this colour as its totally different to the Council bin colours! :p

That's an awesome idea!

But I'm not sure I would put it outside, I'd be worried about rain/dew or just general rubbishy damp weather making the hay at the bottom of the bin wet and then it would soak up and make it all mildew-ey and mouldy.

It would work well in a shed though!

But I'm not sure I would put it outside, I'd be worried about rain/dew or just general rubbishy damp weather making the hay at the bottom of the bin wet and then it would soak up and make it all mildew-ey and mouldy.

It would work well in a shed though!

I'd be worried about mice etc too. Or slugs!

Thanks for your posts, good to know it would have the be 240ltr. Mice can't get in and had no slugs, run mesh is small, run is 6 ft tall and has a roof

So I bought a bin, it was only £27.11 through the council including delivery!!!will decide about the hole when I get it and have a ponder. Hot knife idea is fab as really didn't want the jigsaw it for that reason of splitting. i will update this post on progress incase to it becomes a useful post 😀

I have been considering getting a couple of wheelie bins for hay and straw but was worried that the rain would get in.

Will keep an eye on this thread!

Just thought, if keeping it outside you could have a large bit of plastic, like black bag material, that you can put on top of the bin, under the lid, and when the lid closes it may help more to keep the moisture out!

Ahh, I think I misinterpreted then as from other comments it seemed as though it'd be outside in the rain! I think it might be good to get something to jam beside the wheels - as though it may be heavy it could still move when you least need/expect it!

Back