• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

operation which vets.

Rita

Warren Scout
hello

just a quick question, my vets said that they don't give pain relief for the bunny to come home with after a castration, they charge £72.
i rang pets at home and they said they don't give any pain relief for him to come home with as they will give him a 24 hour pain relief on discharge and they will also give him a gut stimulant to get things moving again after the op. they charge £60. they both said not to starve bunny before op.
my vets said they will op as soon as his testicles are down. pets at home said to wait until he is 6 months old to give him a better chance.
they both said they do lots of bunnies.

what should i do. any advice would be grateful as this is going to be a very important operation for bunny and i don't want anything to go wrong.
has anyone had their bunny done as soon as testicles have dropped or should i wait. i have a female with him at the moment and i check him everyday.
i am going to put them in the cattery in separate compartments but they will still be able to see each other, as i am so worried about the bond being broken.

Vet's should send you home with pain killers after an operation, including something as routine as neutering. I chose not to go with my rabbits old vet (from when he didn't belong to me) because they didn't routinely send rabbits home with pain meds after neutering (among other things). If you email the RWAF they can send you a list of rabbit savvy vets in your area. They are extremely helpful and I have now chosen a vet which is much more knowledgeable thanks to them. The vets practice who will be neutering Winston in a couple of weeks do a health check before the op, routinely keep rabbits in overnight after the op (although isn't a must), give pain relief via injection after the op and send rabbits home with pain meds, and do 2 post op checks one at 3 days and one at 10 days post op. It's costing me £56 for everything so price isn't a massively good indicator. The old vet wanted to charge £76!

I too would contact the RWAF for a recommendation. If you can't find anyone close enough it may be worth seeing if they have any info you can give about what drugs should be given before and after neutering. The Frances Harcourt Brown textbook has some great info in but I doubt they would have a copy. Most vets like to give a gut stimulant before and after the op as well as pain relief on the day and a few days worth to take home. Many vets now prefer to use antibiotic cover now as well where they will prescribe Baytril for a few days before the op and about a week after in order to minimise the chance of infection.

thank you. i will find out where the RWAF suggest. i live in Gloucester can anyone on here advice which one they used.

Back