• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
when it's time?

How do you know when they've had enough of fighting?

I'm finding it really difficult, one minute Nutmeg is barely moving, the next she wants to get down and then is in the tray eating a (tiny) morsel of hay.

:cry: it is the most difficult part of having pets :cry: I always think if they are suffering/in pain or have no quality of life it is time, but there are often times when it is not clear cut at all :cry: at that point I ask the vet what they would do if it was their pet, and I follow that advice.

Hugs xx

(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

for me it is when a day has more 'bad' times than 'ok' times

when the rabbit ceases to show interest in life around them and/or their companion(s) (if they have one/any)

if the rabbit finds any essential hands on care very distressing, especially if the 'hands on care is needed multiple times a day. some rabbits tolerate this really well, others become more and more stressed, dreading the next time they have to be picked up and never able to fully relax as a result

i do not take 'he/she is still eating' as being a sign that they still want to go on. imo in general i feel that there has to be more to their day to day life than that.

also, look into the rabbits eyes, they will tell you xx

Thank you, I have already made an appointment for tonight, I just, I don't know, I guess I needed to reassure myself.

Deep down I think I know it's time, she's just sitting most of the time. She has been like this before about a fortnight ago but then rallied and improved to the point of following anyone who came upstairs wherever they went. But now, she's just...

She hasn't got her Meggy-ness :cry:

Thank you, I have already made an appointment for tonight, I just, I don't know, I guess I needed to reassure myself.

Deep down I think I know it's time, she's just sitting most of the time. She has been like this before about a fortnight ago but then rallied and improved to the point of following anyone who came upstairs wherever they went. But now, she's just...

She hasn't got her Meggy-ness :cry:

that speaks volumes.......... :cry:

more (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) xx

I'm so sorry you are facing this decision. I agree with Jane about looking into their eyes. You will know when it is time.

Many years ago I remember someone saying to me 'better a moment too soon, than a second too late'. That has always stuck with me.

Thinking of you and beautiful little Nutmeg. xx

(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

for me it is when a day has more 'bad' times than 'ok' times

when the rabbit ceases to show interest in life around them and/or their companion(s) (if they have one/any)

if the rabbit finds any essential hands on care very distressing, especially if the 'hands on care is needed multiple times a day. some rabbits tolerate this really well, others become more and more stressed,
dreading the next time they have to be picked up and never able to fully relax as a result
i do not take 'he/she is still eating' as being a sign that they still want to go on. imo in general i feel that there has to be more to their day to day life than that.

also, look into the rabbits eyes, they will tell you xx

All of the above ^^^

Thinking of you xx

I'm so sorry. .It is the hardest decision to make..but it's the final gift we can give to our animals. Thinking of you.

She's gone :( My crazy bundle of fluff :(

I'm glad it was Mark, he basically answered what I was going to say before I asked it. She looks so peaceful now. The other two have had a quick look but I think they already knew. Now comes the packing up of all her stuff, all her meds.

You did the right thing, even if it doesn't feel like it right now. Being a bunny mummy completely sucks sometimes :cry:. Sweet dreams little Nutmeg xx.

So very sorry for your loss :( always the most difficult decision to make.

Binky free at the bridge Nutmeg xx

Back