• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scrappy's forgotten where the litter tray is. Spring fever?

Hi all :wave: Scrappy has been very excitable the last week or so, much more so than usual. She has also started leaving her poos everywhere, which is unusual as she has always been very good at going in her litter tray. Is this lapse in litter training a sign of spring fever and, if so, will she revert back to good habits after it has passed without my having to retrain her? At the moment I'm just picking them up and putting them in the tray.

Is she spayed? If not once she is spayed it will improve things once the hormones subside. Have you recently allowed her access to more space, it sounds like territorial pooping. Might be worth giving her an extra tray in the worst hit areas, and I would sweep poops up regularly and pop them into the trays to encourage her to go there.

Hi Zoobec, thanks for the reply :wave: Scrappy has always had complete free range of the flat (since September) so her space hasn't been increased significantly. However I did get her one of those cardboard castles last week which is taking up a lot of space in the living room where she likes to spend most of her time. I wonder if that is triggering off territorial behaviour? She does seem to be "chinning" everything again as well. Thanks for the tip re the extra litter trays!

With regards to her spay, to be honest my vet and I are having difficulties getting hold of Scrappy's medical history from her previous vet: they haven't forwarded the information despite repeated requests for them to do so. I am quite anxious about this as I definitely want her to be spayed. I'm just going to keep on at them until we get the records forwarded.

Well it all sounds quite territorial especially with the chinning as well. If she is weeing outside of the tray you could try cleaning it up and then neutralising with vinegar/water mixture to try to dissuade her from repeat offending.

Back